Problems using htc evo 4G Android phone

joyaltonjoyalton Posts: 7FreedomPop Newbie
I'm new and have experienced these problems....
1. intermittent dropped calls and dead spots.
2. How do I check for received texts? I get no alert.

Comments

• TaylorTaylor Posts: 2,719FreedomPop Admin, FreedomPop Team, FreedomPop Master
    joyalton said:

I'm new and have experienced these problems....
    1. intermittent dropped calls and dead spots.
    2. How do I check for received texts? I get no alert.

Sorry to hear you are having some issues. The issue with dropped calls and dead spots seems to be related to coverage, although in our next update the call quality will improve. The messages also should appear in the notification bar on the top of the screen on the phone, you can just pull it down and view your messages.
  • joyaltonjoyalton Posts: 7FreedomPop Newbie
    Taylor, I can pull the screen down and see 'notifications' but there are 'no' notifications. What would you recommend next? Maybe remove/reinsert battery and start all over with setup?
    Taylor, I have a more pressing problem. I have used 2.5 GB of data since activating my phone 3 days ago and I didn't even know I was using any data. I've just been making phone calls and sending texts. Is there something I need to 'disable' in my htc evo 4G android phone?? Help!
    joyalton said:

Taylor, I have a more pressing problem. I have used 2.5 GB of data since activating my phone 3 days ago and I didn't even know I was using any data. I've just been making phone calls and sending texts. Is there something I need to 'disable' in my htc evo 4G android phone?? Help!

I would recommend connecting to WiFi whenever possible and making sure the apps on your phone are not auto-updating to avoid high data usage. Also if you would like to PM me your account email I can look into your account for you.
  • S MPS MP Posts: 91FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Pro
    Hmmm, I do get an alert when someone texts me via FP. Have you checked your settings and made sure your volume is all the way up?
  • Adolfo GalvanAdolfo Galvan Posts: 165FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Pro
    On the dropped call issue: Are you using 4G or 3G for calls. WiMAX is not always stable indoors and I have found that 3G actually makes a more stable call, albeit with a bit more latency. Of course WiFi will be MUCH better.

On another note, make sure that in the Google Play settings that you enable Auto-update apps only on WiFi. And videos eat data like crazy, do that only on WiFi if possible.
    Adolfo, are you saying that I need to be connected to WiFi to make phone calls...or at least....better quality phone calls?
  • S MPS MP Posts: 91FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Pro
    joyalton said:

You might consider getting an app to keep track of your data usage and set alerts when you go over a certain amount. I don't think android has a build in monitor for anything below 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich.

Some hidden data hogs can be widgets, email, or downloaded apps that refresh constantly. (Facebook is horrible for this) You can choose not to allow your apps to constantly refresh by adjusting this in your settings.

Another hidden source of data use can be free apps that are ad based. The ads that play on your apps use data.

Here's a very thorough article on the subject: http://www.howtogeek.com/140261/how-to-minimize-your-android-data-usage-and-avoid-overage-charges/

Here are a couple of highly rated/popular apps for this purpose:
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mobidia.android.mdm&hl=en
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.onavo.android.onavoid&hl=en

I hope this helps a bit.
  • MIGUEL LOPEZMIGUEL LOPEZ Posts: 807FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Pro
    Great advice Sara, I have done some of the things you mentioned since the beginning. It really depends on how you intend to use your phone folks. Turn off things you don't really use on a daily basis. There are some great apps that will help you keep things turned off on your phone through hybernation. I suggest you browse sites like androidpolice.com, or Droidlife.com or XDA-developers.com. These folks on a daily basis post small articles and links to the latest apps, rom and news about the android system. You can peruse their archives for some great battery saving apps or suggestions.
    All of a sudden, I am unable to make or receive calls or texts!! What is the easiest way to fix this problem? The phone turns on and navigates but that's it.
    I attempted to post an answer to Taylor which read "How do I private message you?" but it did not post after two attempts. Taylor, if you get this, let me know the answer. Thanks, joyalton
    I did download one 'alarm clock' app and that took over 2 gigs which was 1/2 my available data. Just after that I stopped downloading and turned off all my data software since I am not interested in data...only making and receiving texts and calls. Unfortunately, my phone does neither calls or texts now and I am waiting to hear from Taylor about how to correct this problem. My phone is sitting in the kitchen. I occasionally pick it up and attempt to call or text. I acts like it will do it and then nothing. No call or texts go through or are received.
    @joyalton - I have found the issue with your account and escalated to our development team. I will contact you as soon as I receive a response back.
    Thanks Taylor. Still no texting or calling available fo rme.
    @joyalton - Our development team is still working on your issue. Thanks for your patience as we try to get this resolved as quickly as possible.
This discussion has been closed.