FreedomPop Officially Launches the UK’s very first 100% Free Mobile Phone Service

U.K. residents can now receive completely free mobile service. FreedomPop today announced that its much-anticipated 100 percent free mobile service is now available throughout the U.K., offering 200 minutes, 200 texts and 200 MBs of data completely free for life. For the first 10,000 users to sign up, FreedomPop is also offering a special plan with 1000 minutes, 1000 text and 1 GB of data free for the first month of service.

To continue reading more about the U.K. release click below:

FreedomPop Blog!

TechCrunch Article

Comments

• Ali ChakAli Chak Posts: 25FreedomPop Newbie
    That is cool.
    Hi~ I'm sort of a new-old-sorta member of FreedomPop. I got the phone when they told me I could request it. So, yep. Hi~
  • M.A. II LopezM.A. II Lopez Posts: 1,163FreedomPop Master, FreedomPop Expert ✭✭✭
    edited September 2015 #3
    Pretty Nice for the blokes! I'm suddenly hankering for fish and chips!

(tweeted and Facebooked!)
  • 1stJohn Arkley1stJohn Arkley Posts: 392FreedomPop Newbie ✭✭✭
    Have to be careful in the sign up process. Some sneaky ways of getting extra money there!
    But at last, we are in!!
    Billing cycle starts ~ 1st of month
  • Chris PritchardChris Pritchard Posts: 90FreedomPop Newbie ✭✭✭
    Sim card all ordered!
    #TalkIsCheapUK
  • dav1ddav1d Posts: 5FreedomPop Newbie
    A few questions:

Can you make phone calls when you're not connected to a WiFi network if you haven't purchased the premium voice add-on?

Is there going to be a paid-for unlimited internet option, as in: You pay a fee & get unlimited internet, rather than filling out surveys?

What's the delivery time on SIM cards likely to be?
  • Fabrizio MartellucciFabrizio Martellucci Posts: 657FreedomPop Newbie, UK Pro ✭✭✭✭
    Got an email for all Alpha testers (yep not even Beta lol) and we should get the SIM within 48 hours, they apologised for the delay ( I ordered my SIM on the 15th Sep ) and gave us 100MB extra.

Looking forward to testing this new mobile MVNO as I might ditch giffgaff since I'm a very low user, once I know that the occasional data and voice connection is good then I might go for the £1.49 rollover data which can be useful when the internet is down as you can store up to 20GB over the years.

I've also earned an extra 200mb doing one of the offers so things are looking up.

I've downloaded one of the apps, to see the allowances and the account details, a bit concerned that it says I've got 20 days left on my billing cycle: surely the billing cycles should start the moment you put the sim inside the phone and activate it and not when you order it ? I'm hoping that's a glitch otherwise I'll tell the alpha team they will get a few complaints from newcomers otherwise.

I've also noticed they're still tweaking some prices, when I logged in online a the beginning, the extra data were at 1 penny per MB but now it's 1.5 pence and the rollover price went down from £1.99 to £1.49 they're obviously still assessing their price range.

Billing cycle 7th
  • Wade BuchananWade Buchanan Posts: 62FreedomPop Newbie
    Don't forget to join the Freedompop friends and get up to 500mb free every month for having friends! It is very easy and doesn't cost you anything!
    fabyon said:

I've also noticed they're still tweaking some prices, when I logged in online a the beginning, the extra data were at 1 penny per MB but now it's 1.5 pence and the rollover price went down from £1.99 to £1.49 they're obviously still assessing their price range.

Free plans = 1.5p/mb (£5/333mb)
    Paid plans = 1p/mb (£5/500mb)

Source: http://support.uk.freedompop.com/Plans-Services/Data-Plans/64870420/If-you-approach-or-go-over-your-free-data-what-happens.htm
    #TalkIsCheapUK
    Yes I noticed my alowences are going down even tho I have no sim. I downloaded the app, that give me a extra 200mb that is getting wasted as I wait for the sim too.
  • ianmanningianmanning Posts: 6FreedomPop Newbie
    So I just applied for a SIM, and downloaded the FreedomPop app. When I launched the app it told me that it was the wrong app, and provided a link to the "FreedomPop Free Call and Text" app. When I followed that link it said "this item is not available in your country".
    ??????
  • frankharrisonfrankharrison Posts: 1FreedomPop Newbie
    How do you get a sim?
    I've been waiting for contact from FP for nearly a year now but not had a link for the sim.
  • terry65terry65 Posts: 1FreedomPop Newbie
    edited September 2015 #13
    Why can't i register with these I been trying for months now I don't think they want the customers
    Post edited by terry65 on

How do you get a sim?
    I've been waiting for contact from FP for nearly a year now but not had a link for the sim.

www.freedompop.com
  • Roger1Roger1 Posts: 6FreedomPop Newbie
    International rates? There are 3 monthly packages for making calls, but info is incomplete.

Can I call a Swiss mobile (not included in the packages), and if so, what's the cost?

Also, is roaming available?
  • Fabrizio MartellucciFabrizio Martellucci Posts: 657FreedomPop Newbie, UK Pro ✭✭✭✭

fabyon said:

Free plans = 1.5p/mb (£5/333mb)
    Paid plans = 1p/mb (£5/500mb)

Source: http://support.uk.freedompop.com/Plans-Services/Data-Plans/64870420/If-you-approach-or-go-over-your-free-data-what-happens.htm
    Thank you, it was showing me the 1p/mb on the app at first probably because my package selection wasn't fully propagated in the system yet, now it makes sense. Yet even at 1.5p it's very good for the occasional user, to compare it with giffgaff it's 20p for the first 20mb then it's 20p for each additional mb .....yikes !

Hopefully I'll have the SIM card shown as shipped by tomorrow, the email I got said two working days though so maybe shipped on Monday and hopefully received during the week. I can't wait ! :)
    Billing cycle 7th
  • RickeyRickey Posts: 6FreedomPop Newbie ✭✭✭
    Which app do you use for the UK service? The only app that I could install on my android said to download another app which was not available for my country.
    Anybody know the answer. What app have you got on your phone?
    Rickey said:

Which app do you use for the UK service? The only app that I could install on my android said to download another app which was not available for my country.
    Anybody know the answer. What app have you got on your phone?

I've only installed the one called my freedompop which shows you your allowance and other bits from your account. I tried installing one other and since I haven't received the sim yet, it wouldn't allow me to install it.
    Billing cycle 7th
  • MrXTMrXT Posts: 91FreedomPop Newbie
    It is definitely not the first free UK mobile service. Blyk, ovivo,samba. But i supposed it doesn't sound as good if you says the UKs 3rd free mobile service.
  • aapopaapop Posts: 1FreedomPop Newbie
    I am looking forward to trying the FreedomPop service but the huge drawback for me is the lack of ability to port your number.

For most people this is surely going to be a deal breaker? Who wants the hassle of a brand new phone number?

It'll be OK for people who just want the free service for a spare second phone, but not if you want to use it as your main phone, until they add number porting. Does anyone know the timeframe for adding this?
  • Rich Sias (16th)Rich Sias (16th) Posts: 3,124FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Master, FreedomPop Expert ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wouldn't recommend using an 'Alpha' test phone system as a main usage. Not all that fond of using the Beta version here in US as main either.
    Be my Valentine ZTE, Victory, LG Volt, 803S, & 4 SIMs
  • carlwaringcarlwaring Posts: 11FreedomPop Newbie
    aapop said:

I am looking forward to trying the FreedomPop service but the huge drawback for me is the lack of ability to port your number.

For most people this is surely going to be a deal breaker? Who wants the hassle of a brand new phone number?

It'll be OK for people who just want the free service for a spare second phone, but not if you want to use it as your main phone, until they add number porting. Does anyone know the timeframe for adding this?

https://forums.freedompop.com/discussion/7449/porting-account-pin#latest

If you are with Virgin Media or T-Mobile you can (it seems) port your number already. I'm sure others will follow eventually.

aapop said:

https://forums.freedompop.com/discussion/7449/porting-account-pin#latest

If you are with Virgin Media or T-Mobile you can (it seems) port your number already. I'm sure others will follow eventually.
    I'm sorry but that page is for the USA freedompop service, the UK works differently and the porting of number is done through a PAC code supplied by the mobile network you're leaving behind. I don't think freedompop UK has enabled the porting of phone numbers yet as they're still in Alpha.
    Billing cycle 7th
  • Iolaire McFaddenIolaire McFadden Posts: 119FreedomPop Newbie
    aapop said:

Just a suggestion, are you sure you want to port your number to just test out the service? Maybe instead you might want to let them give you a number and make sure you are happy with the service before you deal with porting your number. It seems a waste to port the number without knowing if you will keep the service.
    I just got another email from Freedompop to hurry me to start beta testing their service ( probably because I signed up with another email so it hasn't registered on their system ).

Anyway this is what it says regarding porting a number:
    " Phone Number porting is not available but is in the product roadmap and will be offered when available, in meantime you get to pick your own new number with FreedomPop. "

So it's in the works but not available yet. ;)
    Billing cycle 7th
    Has anyone with a Sim-Card managed to get a 4G signal yet?
    #TalkIsCheapUK
This discussion has been closed.