Three simple ways to get the most out of your monthly data allowance

3rd start - Kelvin Hill3rd start - Kelvin Hill Posts: 221FreedomPop Newbie, UK Pro ✭✭✭
This information will doubtless have been posted some time ago for our American cousins, but here in the UK we're just getting started.

I have identified three simple ways to make my data allowance go further. It makes sense to do all three:

1) Prevent any app from synchronizing while on mobile data. It won't cause a problem; the app will simply wait to synch until you next connect to WiFi. On my version of Android, I did this by going into Settings > Data Usage. I then worked my way down the list of every app and enabled the setting: 'Restrict app background data.' Whenever you add a new app, you'll need to apply this setting. If you don't do this, you may wonder why small amounts of your allowance are disappearing for no apparent reason. If something like Facebook isn't stopped from synchronizing, you may lose large amounts of data on a regular basis, and find yourself being charged unnecessarily.

2) Use compressed browsing. Opera and Chrome both support compression. Essentially, they will compress pages BEFORE they deliver them to you, helping you to use less data. In Chrome, I found the option in Settings > Advanced > Data Saver.

3) Connect to as many other FreedomPop users as possible. You will receive 10MB of additional data (ignore any messages telling you that you've received 50MB; I'm guessing that is only for the U.S.) for each person you connect to. Don't worry, it's not like Facebook, and I won't be inviting you to any parties. But, from what I've read, the allowance may well be added to each billing cycle, not just as a one-off. The U.S. version allows up to 500MB of additional data. I expect it will be 200MB in the UK (in line with the plan size). Even so, every additional MB will be welcome, especially if it is credited every month. Find yourself a ready-made list of friends here: https://forums.freedompop.com/discussion/9898/post-your-account-email-addresses-here-updated-9-26#Item_138. Just don't go stalking anyone, please. Simply post your own email address and then harvest the ones already added. Note: more have been posted after the original list. I have suggested we start a new list for the UK, but I've already had 11 users from across the pond connect to me for our reciprocal benefit, so it's no biggie if we have to use the same 'international' list. I'm guessing FP is cool with this because it's a way of encouraging people to get their own friends involved. From what I understand, we should keep the extra allowance until a friend 'link' is broken, at which point you have to go looking for another friend.

If you're reading this, go right ahead and add me and my wife for starters: Happy data!
Monthly billing cycle starts on day 3

Comments

• 3rd start - Kelvin Hill3rd start - Kelvin Hill Posts: 221FreedomPop Newbie, UK Pro ✭✭✭
    By the way, I have also restricted background data on the FreedomPop app (that sounds counter-intuitive, I know), and it still appears to be functioning correctly. Time will tell.
  • Fabrizio MartellucciFabrizio Martellucci Posts: 657FreedomPop Newbie, UK Pro ✭✭✭✭
    Whispers....Opera Max app ;)
    Billing cycle 7th
  • Ali Ali Posts: 6,735FreedomPop Master, Test Role, iOS Master ✭✭✭✭✭
    Onavo Extend works really well for me!! And also the discussion you've linked is restricted to approved members only which is a good thing to prevent robots but before anyone has access to the group they have to be approved.
  • Fabrizio MartellucciFabrizio Martellucci Posts: 657FreedomPop Newbie, UK Pro ✭✭✭✭
    I tried Onavo Extend but it doesn't seem to work well for the UK, probably because their compression servers are all located overseas (me speculating of course). I found Opera Max more responsive and user friendly.
    Billing cycle 7th
  • 1stJohn Arkley1stJohn Arkley Posts: 392FreedomPop Newbie ✭✭✭
    I use neopard. It works on https connections but you can set it not to be using with any app you want, such as banking apps
    Billing cycle starts ~ 1st of month
  • Ron LTE VOICE SIMRon LTE VOICE SIM Posts: 263FreedomPop Newbie, FP Flyer ✭✭✭
    Not to put to idea #1 out there as a bad one, but disabling background data completely is a very bad idea. For example, if the FP App needs to register your device and you have Google Play Services disabled, it won't allow it to. The best way to handle this is to check your device usage: Settings > More > Data Usage > "Limit Mobile Data" should be set to 150MB less than your limit + look for any apps at the bottom of the list that are using excessive amounts of data. Click those and individually restrict background data on those apps.

By blankly shutting down things like Facebook Messenger, Kik, Skype, Hangouts, etc... You won't receive new messages unless you are on Wi-Fi or open the App. Disabling the mail App will mean no emails come through while you are out and about. Turning off Twitter and Facebook will kill those notifications as well... Turning them off individually would definitely be the way to go.
  • 3rd start - Kelvin Hill3rd start - Kelvin Hill Posts: 221FreedomPop Newbie, UK Pro ✭✭✭
    True, caution is required, but personally I am happy to only have access to texts and calls while I'm out and about. If I stop long enough to want to check, II can do so manually.
  • S MPS MP Posts: 350FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Expert ✭✭✭
    edited October 2015 #9
    Another option for #1. Is to make sure to restrict application updates to wifi only. This is a huge drain if you allow it to go on when connected to cellular data.

I do this via the Google Play Store app.

Play Store > Settings > Auto-Update apps - set to Auto update over wifi only

That way your apps will take their upgrades only over wifi.
    I'm not an employee...only a volunteer. If you need official assistance:

Freedompop Customer Service numbers-(888) 743-8107---(888) 906-3184---855) 703-5785---(888) 673-8518---888) 915-2647--(888) 731-1555--(888) 701-1353, Monday-Friday 8am-8pm PDT.