Beware unfriendly friend requests

3rd start - Kelvin Hill3rd start - Kelvin Hill Posts: 221FreedomPop Newbie, UK Pro ✭✭✭
This morning, I received a FreedomPop friend request from Tomasz Kapka, asking to be my FreedomPop friend and asking at the same time for me to gift him 50MB. Huh?

Considering both he and I would receive 10MB for becoming FP friends, I decided that would be sufficient, but when I accepted his invitation, both transactions were rolled into one, that is, I was credited with 10MB, but I also had 50MB deducted. How annoying! I was expecting to be asked to approve the 50MB deduction separately.

So, please be wary of people asking to be your friend AND asking for your data at the same time. Avoid! Shame on you Tomasz Kapka. He sent the same request to my wife. Shame on him.
Monthly billing cycle starts on day 3

Comments

• Fabrizio MartellucciFabrizio Martellucci Posts: 657FreedomPop Newbie, UK Pro ✭✭✭✭
    A fair weather friend I guess :( Sorry that has happened to you I didn't realise you could 'beg' for mb and befriend someone at the same time. Good to know and I wonder how we can check if someone is just doing an innocent friendship request or tacking extra mb on top of it, if there's a clue somewhere before we get caught out ?
    Billing cycle 7th
  • Fabrizio MartellucciFabrizio Martellucci Posts: 657FreedomPop Newbie, UK Pro ✭✭✭✭
    They need to sort it, though. This is going to cheese off a lot of newcomers :(
    Billing cycle 7th
  • 3rd start - Kelvin Hill3rd start - Kelvin Hill Posts: 221FreedomPop Newbie, UK Pro ✭✭✭
    Thanks for pointing that out, Ali. I'll stop working on the voodoo doll then. I had bought pins and everything. ;-)

As it happens, I have no shortage of data to use this month, having connected to the maximum number of friends eligible for being awarded extra data, i.e., 20.

I didn't notice that being clear anywhere on the site, but I received 10MB for each friend I connected to, adding 200MB to my available data this month. Adding more than 20 made no difference.

What is unclear to me at this stage, however, is whether that is a one-off, or if that 200MB will be applied every month that I maintain 20+ friends. I will be really surprised if it is, but that is what it implied on the site. Is that true, Ali? Do you have any idea? If so, FP should really publicise that more because it's a great feature in combination with the ability to share data with friends when they need some and you have some spare. At the moment, it certainly isn't clear.
  • ArnieArnie Posts: 4FreedomPop Newbie
    Just do not make any friends :)
  • MrXTMrXT Posts: 91FreedomPop Newbie
    Ali said:

@beyondperukelvin This actually wasn't his fault, FreedomPop has this weird glitch that rolls friend requests with 50MB requests randomly even if the user doesn't want the 50MBs. I don't know exactly why this happens but it's definitely not his fault!

That doesnt sound very random if it happened for both him and his wife.
  • FP4FREEFP4FREE Posts: 8FreedomPop Newbie
    does anybody know what THIS is? Jonathan Wong requested that you share [email protected]
    5 hours ago
    Accept Request Decline Request
  • 3rd start - Kelvin Hill3rd start - Kelvin Hill Posts: 221FreedomPop Newbie, UK Pro ✭✭✭
    Sounds like Jonathan Wong wants your data.
    @FP4FREE . I'm guessing you must have connected to the long list of people from the user list posted in the forums, in which case you can ignore the request. He will have sent the same request to all of his FP friends. There's no point in passing on data that you may need yourself in a few days time. It just means Jonathan has been using too much data and wants you, me, Fred, Susie, anyone...to help him out. If you have spare data on the last day of your billing cycle, maybe then would be a good time. Before that...I don't think so, unless he's your brother, Mr Wong.
  • FP4FREEFP4FREE Posts: 8FreedomPop Newbie
    I was worried that it might be some kind of data minor. That he would suck all my data somehow. I am declining it anyway. I do share my data on the last couple days of each cycle. Hit me up in 9 - 10 days.