My Initial Freedompop Impressions

cagstercagster Posts: 169FreedomPop Newbie ✭✭✭
edited October 2015 in Community Lounge #1
I have had this for just under a week, still early days but I thought I would give my opinion, it is only my view and what is important to me may not be for others and vice versa (but it might help someone)

The short version is that it is a bit better than I expected and overall I'm Happy.

The Good

1. Premium Voice is good, works every time, call quality identical to 3 (I have a 3 account that I will keep - why explained below)
2. WIFI call quality for me as good as free VOIP can be expected to be, slight delay (like .2 of a second) not a problem.
3. Texts delivered immediately
4. Internet 3G excellent same as 3.
5. There is an option for people to call your SIM number and therefore quality excellent and no missed calls as a result of poor internet coverage.
6. Freedom friends extra data and sharing is nice idea and useful.

Things that don't work so well for me

1. Having to have phone connected to Internet to receive or send texts (drains battery). Not Freedompops fault, that's how it works and they are clear about that.
2. Not being able to have the same phone number for SIM and Freedompop app, means I have to give out two numbers causes confusion.
3. Calls via 3G not good enough/reliable quality, too many lags especially receivers end (as expected, this is purely down to the instability of 3G)

Im unsure whether I will be able to keep the freedompop SIm number permanently, if someone knows let me know pls.. I need to be sure I can receive a call or text without delay/problems so for these reasons I will keep my existing provider and carry this in a second spare phone, would prefer not to, but that's how it is right now.

Suggestions.

1. Have same phone number on SIM and app and calls routed via GSM if no internet access
2. Allow texts to be received via GSM without Internet connection.

Comments

• 3rd start - Kelvin Hill3rd start - Kelvin Hill Posts: 221FreedomPop Newbie, UK Pro ✭✭✭
    edited October 2015 #2
    @cagster. I'm confused. I have just one number. It is the same in all cases. The same goes for my wife's. I suspect yours can't be working properly. Better check with support.
    Monthly billing cycle starts on day 3
  • cagstercagster Posts: 169FreedomPop Newbie ✭✭✭
    Check the number printed on your card that the SIM was in before you detached it vs your freedompop telephone number ?
  • 3rd start - Kelvin Hill3rd start - Kelvin Hill Posts: 221FreedomPop Newbie, UK Pro ✭✭✭
    edited October 2015 #4
    Sure, those numbers are different, but the number on the SIM doesn't appear anywhere other than printed on the SIM. Sending and receiving calls and texts discloses only the number I chose. I haven't experienced any number confusion. The number I chose is the only number in use.
  • Fabrizio MartellucciFabrizio Martellucci Posts: 657FreedomPop Newbie, UK Pro ✭✭✭✭
    I think that number on the sim it's only for the app to use to route your premium voice service over the mobile voice signal to make outgoing calls when it sense a weak data signal.

I don't know what happens when people use that sim number especially receiving phone calls on it, what I mean is what happens to Freedompop with charges etc... from the X-Mobility/Three network.

Really not sure about how this work to be honest.
    Billing cycle 7th
  • 1stJohn Arkley1stJohn Arkley Posts: 392FreedomPop Newbie ✭✭✭

Sure, those numbers are different, but the number on the SIM doesn't appear anywhere other than printed on the SIM. Sending and receiving calls and texts discloses only the number I chose. I haven't experienced any number confusion. The number I chose is the only number in use.

Yes but if you turn data off on your phone and ring it, the fp number won't work but the number on the SIM will.
    Billing cycle starts ~ 1st of month
    edited October 2015 #7
    That's right, and x-mobility/ 3 will get a small amount off the caller so it shouldnt upset anyone
    Post edited by cagster on
    Oh, golly, I had no idea that's what you meant. That's not good. Hmm...

So you either cancel Premium Voice and risk being unable to make or receive calls in weak signal areas, or you pay 99p per month to be able to receive calls wherever there is at least a 2g connection, but when using the 2g connection you end up with a number that will confuse everyone. Sheesh. Tricky choice.
  • Fabrizio MartellucciFabrizio Martellucci Posts: 657FreedomPop Newbie, UK Pro ✭✭✭✭
    Not quite, the premium voice is only for outgoing phone calls and I'm assuming that to connect to the voice signal of 3G freedompop app use the number on the sim to do that as the number that shows in your app is a virtual mobile phone number.

Apparently we might be offered incoming calls using premium voice in the near future, but it's really a failsafe if you know that your THREE 3G local coverage is patchy so that you'll be able to make a phone calls.

As for giving out the number on the sim, I personally don't know what's the position of Freedompop on that, hopefully one of the mod will pick up on that and give us a clarification: if it's allowed etc...
    Billing cycle 7th
    Well it's not not allowed
    edited October 2015 #11
    They are meant to be providing a telephone service, and I can't reliably get incoming calls on the fp number even on Wi-Fi. So if I need to pay for voice its not what they advertise is it?
    Not good or fit for purpose for you then
    Sorry to hear some of you are having problems. My SIM is working just fine. Perhaps it's down to the strength of signal.

I'm at home and have just switched off WiFi and mobile data. I phoned my home number and Premium Voice kicked in and rang my home phone. The number displayed was my FP number, so everything seems fine to me.

I tried ringing the FP number from the home phone (while data and WiFi were off) and yes, it doesn't ring, but that isn't the end of the world for me really. I can just make sure my wife has the number printed on the SIM. If someone can't get hold of me in an emergency, they will call my wife, and she will know to try the backup number if the "virtual" FP number isn't working (because I have no WiFi and no mobile data, which is rare). Simples.
    Yes - that's how it is designed to work. The suggestion I raised above was why can't we have one number and not two - i.e the freedom pop application be capable of using the SIM number.
    @cagster. I believe the reason for that is that the number printed on the SIM (or, in my case the SIM plastic housing) is a valid real-world mobile number, and using that number incurs real expenditure on the network. Using an FP virtual number incurs less or nothing at all.

I received two more SIMs today. Interestingly, the number on the SIM plastic housing of both has been overprinted with black 'X's to make sure the number cannot be read. How funny! So, for those who still have their dual numbers, you are the lucky few. Keep it safe. I have mine. :)
    Interesting re xxxx. i know the difference in costs and one is real, one virtual, not sure why the app cannot broadcastthe real number when transmitting the voip call identify and link to your Sip SIP id for incoming via app when connected to internet.
    Uh oh ! Busted lol ...my point exactly on my previous post that the number on the sim is for premium calls as a fallback and probably used by both xmobility and three to charge Freedompop for using the voice side of the network and data. They're not going to explain to us the intricacies of their agreements as they're commercially sensitive infos. ;)
    Billing cycle 7th
    I just rang the number on the SIM from the fp phone hehehe