Very VERY High Data Usage

Tehya11Tehya11 Posts: 1FreedomPop Newbie
Unsatisfactory response from support - Here is the information I sent:

--------------
I ordered the Free Trial Sim for my daughter.
She started using the sim on the 2nd October and the data ran out by the 6th October.
She managed to use up the included 1.3GB of PLAN data in 3 days and 751MB of PAYG data also.

She's had a GiffGaff sim with 1GB of data for several months and generally only ever uses about 250MB a month............

The FreedomPop data shows that it was being constantly used at 6mb + 6mb every minute or so.

She only used about 2 TXT and maybe a couple of quick test calls.

Im a reasonably heavy user with my data with my Three account and I only manage to use that sort of data up in a whole month, not 3 days.

I have downgraded her account to the Free option and removed the sim from her phone. She has gone back to GiffGaff.

I also order a sim, but will not be using as I'm very unhappy with response from support and also the data usage is way to high..

Could you please explain why the data usage is so high, especially as we have wifi at home and she has been connected to that.

Also PAYG data was intermittently used even before the PLAN data was used up???

regards

gavin

-----------

Here is my response from FreedomPop support:

##########
Recently you requested personal assistance from our on-line support center. Below is a summary of your request and our response. If this issue is not resolved to your satisfaction, you may reopen it within the next 30 days. Thank you for allowing us to be of service to you.
Subject
Very High Data Usage

Response By Email (A N) (10/09/2015 12:03 PM)
You can reach a dedicated technical support agent, seven days a week from 9am to 5pm Pacific Standard time by calling (888) 673-8518.
##########

Wow what a detailed response......SOLVED........ LOL

I'm in the UK why do I want to phone a tech support number in the USA

What can I say.... other than even BT support could pull a better response than that out of there ARSE

Comments

• Ron LTE VOICE SIMRon LTE VOICE SIM Posts: 263FreedomPop Newbie, FP Flyer ✭✭✭
    What does the device show as the data user? Telling them that the device is showing 6MB U/D every minute doesn't help a bit without knowing what is making the device do it. If you are running Android, you can hit Settings > More > Data Usage and see a list of Apps that are using data. For example, my device has used 41MB for Play Store, 38MB for Twitter, 36MB for Facebook, 25MB for Chrome and 25 for FP Messaging. This is 23 days into my billing cycle.

I haven't noticed any heavy usage from the Messaging App, and when I look at my 'online usage' it shows credits for when I was using 'voice' data instead of 'data' data.

I'd love to help out a bit more if you can scan the device data usage menu and see what's been eating all the data up.

Cheers!
  • Fabrizio MartellucciFabrizio Martellucci Posts: 657FreedomPop Newbie, UK Pro ✭✭✭✭
    The service is still in beta and the support is geared towards the american market, you're better off contacting the alpha/beta team on either of these emails : [email protected] or [email protected]

Some phones allow you to see where the data has gone in settings so you can see where the data went, I've been testing this service for a while the most their messaging app has been using in one day is 1mb and when you make phone calls and texts the date used gets put back as it's not counted. Is it possible that a few apps updated in the background over 3G as opposed to Wi-fi ? Just trying to figure out what happened. The beta team in the UK is great and will try to sort this out for you.

There's also a phone number for the UK which I believe is 0113 8870823
    Billing cycle 7th
  • MrXTMrXT Posts: 91FreedomPop Newbie
    Yeah as mentioned above go into your data usage in settings and find out what app or apps have used so much data if nothing shows that in the last month then you can safely say its a bug on freedompops end, the data usage will be split between mobile data and wifi usage.

Shocking responce from freedompop, better up their game or they wont exist long over here. They dont appear to be trying very hard.
  • cagstercagster Posts: 169FreedomPop Newbie ✭✭✭
    Can you let us know tehya11
  • 3rd start - Kelvin Hill3rd start - Kelvin Hill Posts: 221FreedomPop Newbie, UK Pro ✭✭✭
    I have set up five family phones with FP so far. In each case, I have explained to the family member how FP works and how every phone app MUST have background data switched off. I have been through each installed app that appears in the Data Usage page, and switched off background data in every case. I have also accessed the Play Store settings and made sure apps can only update over WiFi. It took a few minutes, but it is essential to do this unless you want all your data allowance to drain away.

As a result, NONE of our phones has shown unexpected loss of ANY data.

With the greatest of respect, I believe you need to take a closer look at the phone settings.

Furthermore, I also added a data usage limit to each phone (at 160MB and 180MB) as a warning. It turns out there was no need for that, since none of the phones is haemorrhaging data.
    Monthly billing cycle starts on day 3
  • 3rd start - Kelvin Hill3rd start - Kelvin Hill Posts: 221FreedomPop Newbie, UK Pro ✭✭✭
    I have made it abundantly clear that apps that fetch or share data (Facebook, Instagram, Flickr, Email, etc.) require a data connection, and if no WiFi is available, they WILL use the data allowance. So basically, only use them as a last resort when no WiFi is available.

I have also made it very clear that text-based apps use very little data, whereas apps with images use a lot more, and apps with video will suck it up like there's no tomorrow.

A little education goes a long way. Even my 11 year-old understands what he should and shouldn't do when not on WiFi.
  • Fabrizio MartellucciFabrizio Martellucci Posts: 657FreedomPop Newbie, UK Pro ✭✭✭✭
    Also I tend to believe that even if the fp messaging app is using data that it doesn't count and it isn't taken out of your data allowance, hopefully. I tested the hotspot feature of phone and watched an episode of a Japanese soap (yep I'm weird) and 600mb went just like that ....
    Billing cycle 7th
    That agrees with my findings, @fabyon. I don't believe the FP app records its own data usage. BTW, If you've used up all your data watching Japanese videos, would you like me to gift back the 50MB you gave me? :)
    Nope ! LOL That's ok I usually watch that through my wi-fi so it was just to test really. :D But even if my coverage was patchy there was no buffering at all so that's good :D Btw I watch Japanese soaps because I'm actually learning the language :D すごいな
    Billing cycle 7th
    @fabyon. Hai, nihon-go wa omoshiroi desu nee!

I did three years of Jap lessons back in the nineties while working for Mitsubishi. Good times.
  • cagstercagster Posts: 169FreedomPop Newbie ✭✭✭
    edited October 2015 #12
    Facebook and messenger are two of the worst apps for battery drain and data even when you think they not running they are , I use greenify to ensure the pesky apps are frozen until I decide to use them.
    cagster said:

Facebook and messenger are two of the worst apps for battery drain and data even when you think they not running they are , I use greenify to ensure the pesky apps are frozen until I decide to use them.

I need to reinstall greenify as you're so right about those two data hogs
    Billing cycle 7th

@fabyon. Hai, nihon-go wa omoshiroi desu nee!

I did three years of Jap lessons back in the nineties while working for Mitsubishi. Good times.

Fantastic it all started when I got sky and discovered NHK, I have around 20 books have been getting and flashcards for the kanji ! I'm doing it purely because I'm a linguists at heart and trying to avoid dementia as it runs in the family.... The homophones are driving me crazy lol .... Hajimemashite Kelvin-san, mata ne
    Billing cycle 7th
    Greenify is definitely the way to go! I have been using it for about a year. My phone is rooted, so I allow it to automatically shut down pretty much every app (except email and FP) when the screen switches off. Yay for Greenify!
    @fabyon. Dementia also runs in my family, as does diarrhoea, which runs in my genes. Sorry, that only works as a verbal joke. If you don't get it, repeat it out loud to someone. Sumimasen.

I don't like to go off-topic. Five stars for Greenify!