Can you still make calls via Wifi when you are out of data?

SolomonSolomon Posts: 207FreedomPop Newbie
But you still have a credit of minutes and texts.

Or are you just cut off until the next billing cycle?

I'm being very very careful with my data, but it's a bit of a pain. Even switching off mobile data much of the time and hoping I won't miss too many incoming calls.

Comments

• James_in_UtahJames_in_Utah Posts: 243FreedomPop Newbie
    I don't know the answer to that, but I suggest you try using a Google Voice number with the Hangouts app and hangouts dialer app. You don't use minutes or text count against your FP total. I think the voice quality is even a lot better than using the FP app. If you do run out of FP data, and they do cut you off, at least your GV number would still work.
  • SolomonSolomon Posts: 207FreedomPop Newbie
    Pity Google Voice doesn' t give you free calls to mobiles!
  • 1stJohn Arkley1stJohn Arkley Posts: 392FreedomPop Newbie ✭✭✭
    From reading other posts on here I would say no. Once data is gone you are suspended until the new cycle.
    Billing cycle starts ~ 1st of month
  • drgeoffdrgeoff Posts: 175FreedomPop Newbie ✭✭✭
    edited November 2015 #5
    Deleted duplicate first post. Did'nt see the 'appear when approved' transient pop-up.
    Post edited by drgeoff on

I don't know the answer to that, but I suggest you try using a Google Voice number with the Hangouts app and hangouts dialer app. You don't use minutes or text count against your FP total. I think the voice quality is even a lot better than using the FP app. If you do run out of FP data, and they do cut you off, at least your GV number would still work.

Although that suggestion may be well-intentioned it clearly comes from someone who does not know the following facts.

A Google Voice account and number is not readily available to those residing in the UK (or anywhere outside the USA) and Google has not announced plans to change that any time soon. I'm not saying it is impossible to obtain but even if you manage to do it, the only numbers you can call for no charge are USA and Canada ones.

So using GV plus Hangouts is not really a work around for 99% of UK FreedomPop users.
    Solomon said:

Pity Google Voice doesn' t give you free calls to mobiles!

It does but only to USA and Canada ones.

The mobile scene is quite different there. Mobile numbers are in the same ranges as landline ones. The caller does not know if he is calling a mobile or a landline. It is the mobile callee that pays the mobile surcharge on incoming calls.
  • gnfgnf Posts: 64FreedomPop Newbie
    @Solomon, firstly have you added some Freedompop Friends to maximise your monthly allowance? If so, you could try requesting data from them. On the home page under the Share Data section there is a tab labelled 'Share Capacity' where you can get or give data.

gnf
  • 3rd start - Kelvin Hill3rd start - Kelvin Hill Posts: 221FreedomPop Newbie, UK Pro ✭✭✭
    Solomon said:

But you still have a credit of minutes and texts.

Or are you just cut off until the next billing cycle?

I'm being very very careful with my data, but it's a bit of a pain. Even switching off mobile data much of the time and hoping I won't miss too many incoming calls.

@Solomon, it looks like you haven't checked out the past posts because you're making life really difficult for yourself.

Read the following, they are IMPORTANT:

1) Your account will be disabled for the remainder of your billing cycle if you consume all your data (to within 5MB of it, allegedly). It doesn't matter how many minutes or texts you have left, the account will be disabled. End of. You may, however, manually purchase more data or enable the auto-top-up feature, so don't fret. The only state you can't recover from is if you use all your calls and texts; you cannot buy more. If you are tech savvy, however, you can use an alternative via your data, e.g., Google Hangouts or Skype-out, to make calls and send texts over the data network. Since you have to pay for these, this should only be done as a last resort.

2) Do NOT EVER switch off your data connection unless you don't mind being out of contact. There is no need. What you need to do is prevent all your non-Google apps from using background data (except the FP app, of course). I have no idea how to do that on an iPhone, but it's easy on an Android (in Settings > Data usage). If you do that, you will NOT lose any data unless you decide to use an app while you have no WiFi connection. Making FP calls and sending FP texts uses mobile data, BUT that data does NOT come from your monthly allowance.

You can leave your email app with background access as long as it doesn't automatically download attachments. In fact, it's only apps that push large files in the background, such as social apps like Facebook, Instagram, and Snapchat that will consume all your data before you know it. Once background data is disabled, you can choose if/when you use your data allowance.

3) You can start each month with 400MB of data. If you only have 200MB, you need to go to the FP Friends section of this site, add your name to the long list of email addresses, and then paste the list of addresses into the FP friends function. By the time the first 20 have accepted your request, you will have increased your monthly allowance by 200MB every month. All those connecting after the first 20 will provide a fallback for when one or more leaves. As long as you maintain at least 20 friends, you will continue to receive 10MB per person per month. With 400MB of data each month, there is no way you will use it all if you are careful.

So there you have it. Enjoy!
    Monthly billing cycle starts on day 3
  • salvadorfreemansonsalvadorfreemanson Posts: 64FreedomPop Newbie ✭✭✭
    Thanks, a very useful summary. I had read it, but that was a while ago.
    On the last point, I'm not comfortable with having FP send requests to all the names in my email address book since many of them are professional contacts.
  • 1stJohn Arkley1stJohn Arkley Posts: 392FreedomPop Newbie ✭✭✭
    edited November 2015 #11
    If you go to the freedompop friends group there is a list there. Just copy &paste that and within a few days you will have a extra 200mb a month.
    No one you really know!
    Billing cycle starts ~ 1st of month
    I recently lent my son a mifi box while he was staying with us for a few days so he wouldn't have to pay roaming costs. He managed to get through all the 500 MB that was still in the account in just a couple of days, without any video streaming or suchlike or even running apps. It turned out to be all background stuff on his iphone (I only use Android after a brief incursion into Windows Phone). Of course, being on mifi, the background stuff was still going on, becacause the setting is wifi.
    There's a moral there somewhere, but I'm not sure what it is.
  • Fabrizio MartellucciFabrizio Martellucci Posts: 657FreedomPop Newbie, UK Pro ✭✭✭✭
    It's within 20MB so once you reach 175-180MB it will try to auto-topup ( if that's turned off your account gets suspended) or 375-380MB, if you got 20 friends.
    Billing cycle 7th
    John. said:

If you go to the freedompop friends group there is a list there. Just copy &paste that and within a few days you will have a extra 200mb a month.
    No one you really know!

I can't get it to work. Do you mean the
    "Get up to 1.5GB extra every month all 100% free through Freedom Friends!"
    If so, I've applied, but no reply yet.
    Plus, it talks about 1.5GB, so you must mean something else.
    Where can I find the group you mention?
    Thanks
  • Rich Sias (16th)Rich Sias (16th) Posts: 3,124FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Master, FreedomPop Expert ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have 500 free in basic plan.
    Plus I have 500 more because of 10 friends (In UK its 20 friends and 200 total from friend associations)
    Then, finally you can receive up to 500 in gifts from friends.
    More typically you may average 40-100 per month in gifts if you beg from them all the time. So in reality it might be like 1,100 MB per month. Rather than the upper end of 1,500 MB.
    Be my Valentine ZTE, Victory, LG Volt, 803S, & 4 SIMs
  • 3rd start - Kelvin Hill3rd start - Kelvin Hill Posts: 221FreedomPop Newbie, UK Pro ✭✭✭
    edited November 2015 #16
    @salvadorfreemanson. Go to this page: https://forums.freedompop.com/discussion/9898/post-your-account-email-addresses-here-updated-10-23-15/p8

You should add your own FP address to the list and then harvest all the email addresses you find there. The above link starts on page 8, but you will find plenty more on earlier/later pages. You will get far more than 20 connections as a result, and your monthly data will increase accordingly (to 1GB if you are in the U.S., or 400MB if you are in the UK). The Americans get more data and have bigger waistlines.
    Monthly billing cycle starts on day 3