I have received lots of data, but now I want to give some away

salvadorfreemansonsalvadorfreemanson Posts: 64FreedomPop Newbie ✭✭✭
edited November 2015 in Community Lounge #1
I still haven't got the hang of this sharing data.
I've received lots of data. It seems to have happened automatically. I entered some names and then I got some data.

I'm sure to have plenty left over at the end of the billing cycle, as I'm going out of the country for the last week in the cycle.
Does it get shared automatically, or do I have to gift it manually? Can I do it at any time, or does it have to be at the end of the billing cycle?
I tried to gift some to my new FP friends, but I get a message saying that it's not possible.

Is there a FAQ on this topic?
Post edited by salvadorfreemanson on

Comments

• cagstercagster Posts: 169FreedomPop Newbie ✭✭✭
    I believe you can gift any time to a max of 200mb per cycle
  • 3rd start - Kelvin Hill3rd start - Kelvin Hill Posts: 221FreedomPop Newbie, UK Pro ✭✭✭
    The amount limit seems to be set somewhat arbitrarily. I managed to share 490MB during my first billing cycle. I suspect I was probably given the U.S. gifting allocation by mistake, which, I guess must be 500MB. I further expect my ability to gift data will reduce to 200MB during my current billing cycle.

The gifting rules are slightly complicated though.

There are maximums for the amount you can give away and the amount you can receive. You are also prevented from giving data back to the person who gifted it to you in the same billing period. I suspect that is to prevent you passing data back and forth to avoid losing it at the end of a cycle. Having said that, it should be possible for a three-way loop to work, i.e., person A gives to person B before the end of person A's cycle. Person B gives to person C before the end of person B's cycle. Person C should then be able to give to person A before the end of person C's cycle.
    Monthly billing cycle starts on day 3
    edited November 2015 #4
    Kelvin you can gift back to someone who gifted to you in the same cycle, I tried this already successfully doing so on the same day.

Im not exactly sure of the gifting limits, I couldn't gift more than 200mb to UK users. I suspect you could gift more to US users. I gifted about 400mb last time. 200 was to US users
  • salvadorfreemansonsalvadorfreemanson Posts: 64FreedomPop Newbie ✭✭✭
    It's a pity you don't know where your FP friends are in their billing cycle, so you can give data while they still have time to make good use of it.
  • 3rd start - Kelvin Hill3rd start - Kelvin Hill Posts: 221FreedomPop Newbie, UK Pro ✭✭✭
    @cagster. I still can't establish any logic around how much can be given and how often. During my previous billing cycle, I managed to give 490MB away to UK users (mostly to my family), with two lots of 100MB going to my wife. This cycle, I have given my wife a single tranche of 100MB, but if I try to give her any more (even just 20MB), I receive an error saying, "User has already shared in this period." That doesn't make a lot of sense on the basis that I have only given 150MB away in total this period, 100MB to my wife and 50MB to one of those random people who ask to be your friend and ask you to give them 50MB at the same time. Then without realising, you click on the link and accept their "friendship." Yeah, kick me, why don't you? Maybe it will become clear at some point. For now, there appears to be no rhyme nor reason to it.
  • Rich Sias (16th)Rich Sias (16th) Posts: 3,274FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Master, FreedomPop Expert ✭✭✭✭✭
    One gift each direction each cycle.
    So, you give 100, you're done giving to that person until you cycle the next month.
    Give 20, you're done giving to that person until you cycle the next month.
    BUT, they can make a gift to you in same cycle if only gift from them to you.
    In USA max total gifts are 500. Max received gifts are 500 (just a coincidence)
    Amounts to select are: 100, 50, 20 only. (In USA again) Hmm would UK be 2/5 of those numbers too ?
    Be my Valentine ZTE, Victory, LG Volt, 803S, & 4 SIMs
    No rich you can gift 100, 50, 20.

I have a feeling FP may have changed the gifting rules in UK - I agree with Kelvin something seems to have changed.
  • gnfgnf Posts: 64FreedomPop Newbie
    Reading info on the forum, I got the impression that UK users could gift amounts of 20/50/100MB per gift up to a maximum of 200MB per month, but only once per recipient per month.

Just to confuse matters I logged in to my (UK) account and asked a question about friends in that annoying popup help window at the bottom. There it said
    "Note. Maximum amount of earned data from Freedom Friends is 50MBs per month".

Eh?

So we still need a definitive answer to this question, or that answer needs fixing if it is wrong.

When I signed up for freedompop beta I was encouraged to contact support about any issues, so I've emailed this point to [email protected]
    @Rich Sias (16th). There is definitely something peculiar going on with gifting data in the UK.

Here is a screenshot from my son's account. He is still in his first billing cycle, and you can see he has managed to gift 500MB, of which 300MB was given in 3x100MB chunks within a few seconds of each other.

• gnfgnf Posts: 64FreedomPop Newbie
    Got a quick reply to my question ( in which I DID specify UK). The question had generated a ticket number. However although the email was sent to [email protected], the reply at 23:23 tonight came from [email protected] and is timestamped @3.23 pm, that is USA time. Clearly the US support staff at work.

I would not have expected a reply until working hours tomorrow if UK support were answering. So we don't appear to have support for our UK beta programme?

I will not quote the reply because it may be wrong for the UK. The respondent closed the ticket, so as far as they are concerned it is 'solved'.

Perhaps an official who frequents this forum could give a definitive answer, assuming the goalposts have stopped moving.
    I wonder if it varies based on the package - i.e. basic package users can only give 200 wheras premium more - who know :-) Im sure we will work it out eventually
  • Rich Sias (16th)Rich Sias (16th) Posts: 3,274FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Master, FreedomPop Expert ✭✭✭✭✭
    Note on the 50MBs message: That was 2-3 YEARS ago. About that long ago FP bumped to 500 MB max and set choices to 100,50,20 (USA). Some help messages are really stale.
    Be my Valentine ZTE, Victory, LG Volt, 803S, & 4 SIMs
    At least you must have started with a consistently buggy site created for your country and you worked up from there. We seem to have a mishmash of U.S. features mangled with pared-down UK features. Inconsistency abounds. I'm sure the dust will settle though. Inconsistencies aside, I'm enjoying FP so far.
  • + cycle ends on 26th Cheers+ cycle ends on 26th Cheers Posts: 10FreedomPop Newbie

It's a pity you don't know where your FP friends are in their billing cycle, so you can give data while they still have time to make good use of it.

Hint: You can change your account username to make things easier.