wifi and incoming messages problem solved by changing router**UPDATE**

19nbg7119nbg71 Posts: 63FreedomPop Newbie
edited November 2015 in Account Help #1
hi all,just set up my sim today.everything is fine,apart from when wi/fi is enabled i cannot receive incoming texts,i can send ok and make and receive calls.i found this out as i was waiting ages for a text,and i wondered if turning wifi off would help....and it did.......as soon as i switched it off 2 texts came straight in.
any ideas/pointers?
kind regards karl U.K
Post edited by 19nbg71 on

Comments

• Fabrizio MartellucciFabrizio Martellucci Posts: 657FreedomPop Newbie, UK Pro ✭✭✭✭
    Check these tips in the support section as applying them helped a few people in the same predicament.
    http://support.uk.freedompop.com/Calling-Texting/64870375/Trouble-Making-Receiving-Calls-or-Texts.htm
    Billing cycle 7th
  • 3rd start - Kelvin Hill3rd start - Kelvin Hill Posts: 221FreedomPop Newbie, UK Pro ✭✭✭
    Hi @19nbg71 and welcome to FreedomPop!

There are a few gotchas to be aware of. I apologise if this sounds condescending, but I don't know how tech-savvy you are. When you have WiFi enabled, are you actually logged in to a WiFi router? There is a difference between being connected (which can happen when you walk down the street and your phone connects to neighbours' routers but can't actually log in because you don't have the password). I have reported this issue to the tech team. I leave WiFi on all the time so I automatically connect to my home router when I am home, and I automatically connect to my work router when I arrive there. Trouble is, when I am not connected to either and I pass an open WiFi router, I automatically connect to it BUT I am not logged in. Sadly, the FP app doesn't distinguish between a non-active WiFi connection and a valid WiFi logged-in connection for the purpose of incoming calls and texts. I have asked them to do something about it. If the WiFi connection cannot deliver texts or calls, the app needs to defer to the data connection.

If that isn't your problem, re-install and re-sync your app, and failing that, contact Jorge M.
    Monthly billing cycle starts on day 3
  • 19nbg7119nbg71 Posts: 63FreedomPop Newbie
    update....tested again to see if it wasnt just coincidence,and it did the same.
  • Michael ParkMichael Park Posts: 6FreedomPop Newbie
    I just found out the same problem. It seems that incoming texts work only on mobile data. And, at the same time, some movies on youtube don't work, while I have no problem with watching them with my laptop. I'm afraid this also have something to do with wifi problem. I hope somebody has an idea on this.
    hi,i was logged into my home network,will try an app re install,failing that i will contact the beta help team....its annoying as everything else seems to work barring incoming texts...will also have a rumage around the internet to see if it throws any pointers up ;) thanks
    kind regards karl
    p.s fairly tech savvy ;P
    re installed the app and it didn't work
    i could do a phone reset,but as a last resort ;)
    so is this a known bug? can anybody else test this out please.
    kind regards karl
  • Fabrizio MartellucciFabrizio Martellucci Posts: 657FreedomPop Newbie, UK Pro ✭✭✭✭
    Could it be specific to your phone's make, just wondering. Once we know the make and model of your handset then people with the very same phone might be able to clarify if they have the same issues.
    Billing cycle 7th
    I reinstalled and did sync again, but it didn't work. Sending/receiving calls and sending text work well. Only receiving text doesn't work.
    And, as I mentioned, while internet browsing is working perfectly, some of youtube movies became restricted. It works well over mobile data, so this is not a problem of my google account. Moreover, these two problems showed up almost at the same time. So I suspect there might be some bugs regarding wifi, causing problems with text and maybe youtube.
    @19nbg71 If you don't mind, can try to open some clips on youtube by way of youtube app? With regard to imcoming text, your issue is pretty much same to mine. I just want to see if you have even youtube problem like me.
    if nobody else has the same problem,then it could be device specific.but as another poster mentioned the same problem,it could be more than one device manufacturer,so thats why i asked for others to test :)
    phone is a dg750 droid 4.4.2
    kind regards karl
    My device is LG volt with android 4.4.2.
    @Michael Park do you want me to test youtube over mobile data and wifi disabled..will test it in a mo and post findings...i expect as its streaming over mobile data,it may be not perfect...
    kind regards karl
    youtube app works fine with wifi disabled...had about a 3-4 second delay in playing videos and not choppy.general browsing ok
    the message lag is horrendous lol,i will get approved soon =)
    @19nbg71 Youtube app works fine over mobile data. The problem is always wifi. If I turn on wifi, some videos which worked well over mobile data, don't work any more. Now I'm suspecting the wifi router I'm using now. When available, let me reset the router and test how it's going; I'll let you know. Good luck! :)
  • 3rd start - Kelvin Hill3rd start - Kelvin Hill Posts: 221FreedomPop Newbie, UK Pro ✭✭✭
    @Michael Park, @19nbg71, can you please reset your routers and use the ookla website to run a speedtest? It would be nice to rule out broadband speed issues. In a worst case scenario we can add your phones to the unsupported device list with a warning, but there is probably a logical explanation for the problem.
    well one web text worked,now not receiving again when wifi enabled,and its the same via mobile to mobile....as soon as wifi is disabled,all my texts arrive to y phone...will send the team a message and see what they say...there are a few setting within the app i can maybe change.
    kind regards karl
    update :) reset my phone...registered sim again then wi/fi then restarted phone....and then i downloaded the app. then went to a website that sends free texts and sent one to my phone with wifi on and data on and i received it :)
    now all i have to do is wait for somebody to text me so i can double check everything is ok pmsl
    @kelvin speeds are ok with no probs on my device
    kind regards karl
    I have messaged the technical team,lets see what they think,butif someone else can test for the same issue,that would be helpful ;)
    kind regards karl
    message missing.......it reverted back to not receiving when wifi enabled
    Finally I reset my phone, and it seems good so far. Let's see how's it going. ;)
    edited November 2015 #24
    @19nbg71, @Michael Park. Take a look at the answer posted by Ryan Radford, here: https://forums.freedompop.com/discussion/12884/cant-receive-text-or-sync-on-data-but-can-send-text-any-ideas#latest

You'll notice that when you re-sync your account, the phone goes through a "registering for push notifications" process, and I can't comment on whether the generic app from the Play store is better, but it's worth trying.
    @beyondperukelvin i was rummaging around the forums and stumbled on the same post :) i did try it numerous times, but for me it didn't work.I did however see in the messaging app a setting for turning on random ports,now if this app uses a specific port that isnt open on my router then i wouldn't receive texts...this sounds that it may be the answer...the question is "what port/ports does the app use?
    kind regards karl
    edited November 2015 #26
    If I'm not wrong fp uses a customised version of csimpleclient and I read that it uses port 5060 which is the standard port for VoIP sip clients...obviously that might have been changed and tweaked to suit their own servers.
    Billing cycle 7th