UK app best settings

19nbg7119nbg71 Posts: 63FreedomPop Newbie
Hi all,so what's the best settings for UK calls?.I checked my settings and most settings people have mentioned being enabled,are disabled on my phone,also what's the best codecs to use for sound quality, and recipient echo etc....there are lots of settings to change from within the app,I would like to know what's the standard settings or settings with optimal adjustments.
kind regards Karl

Comments

• Fabrizio MartellucciFabrizio Martellucci Posts: 657FreedomPop Newbie, UK Pro ✭✭✭✭
    You should have Opus and PCMU (known as G.711u ) as standard, I've added GSM, G.722 but I haven't got any tangible proof that it has improved my experience apart from the 'placebo feeling' that my calls seem clearer. I also enabled ICE ( again I honestly don't know if that makes any difference ).

We've asked a while on a few threads some help on the matter but the FP minions have been tight lipped about it. There are only so many times, one can ask the same question with no replies....I gave up at the end ! ;)

I've read up about codecs and it's a steep learning curve.

Here's a link if you want to have read about PCMU : http://www.en.voipforo.com/codec/codecs-g711-alaw.php
    Billing cycle 7th
  • gnfgnf Posts: 64FreedomPop Newbie
    My experience, for what it's worth when I experimented with ticking a couple of extra codecs was the app bombed out, and calls stopped working (sorry I can't remember whether it was calls received or sent that failed at that point).

Took me a while to discover that the failure was because the app had gone and disabled all the codecs. Reinstated the two default codecs @Fabyon mentioned above and calls started to work again. Retreated with burnt fingers at that point.

Only settings I did assert were echo cancellation and the codec bitrate limit which I set to 64Kbps since voice sounded OK with that setting.
  • 19nbg7119nbg71 Posts: 63FreedomPop Newbie
    thanks for both inputs :-) i have now limited bitrate to 64 as i can see that helping with calls...i didnt touch anything else apart from ticking allow push notifications.this was deselected when i installed the app...
    kind regards karl
  • 3rd start - Kelvin Hill3rd start - Kelvin Hill Posts: 221FreedomPop Newbie, UK Pro ✭✭✭
    @19nbg71, I asked support about how we should choose the best codecs to use. They said I shouldn't make any changes to the default settings. I thought that was bizarre given the option exists to select alternatives. Therefore, I am none the wiser.
    Monthly billing cycle starts on day 3
  • Fabrizio MartellucciFabrizio Martellucci Posts: 657FreedomPop Newbie, UK Pro ✭✭✭✭

@19nbg71, I asked support about how we should choose the best codecs to use. They said I shouldn't make any changes to the default settings. I thought that was bizarre given the option exists to select alternatives. Therefore, I am none the wiser.

I agree since limiting the bitrate does help (sorry forgot to mention that, but GNF took care of that) unless the app does it automatically but by the time it has adjusted the phone call might as well be over.

Having an official list of what we should tick or not, should be available with screenshots as a few peeps have installed the app but the default settings didn't 'take' such as the Opus codec. But again they're like the Sphynx at times: unscrutable.
    Billing cycle 7th
  • Ali Ali Posts: 6,735FreedomPop Master, Test Role, iOS Master ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would suggest enabling PCMU, PCMA, G722, and the Silk codec at the top. That makes things much better.
  • gnfgnf Posts: 64FreedomPop Newbie
    @Ali that may work for some users but it didn't for me. There could be any number of reasons for that, hardware and/or software.
    Be prepared to document any steps you make and roll back if necessary if you mess about with settings.

@beyondperukelvin: As discussed in another thread, the Freedompop app is based on an opensource softphone app called Linphone, and the developers of Freedompop Messaging haven't removed unused (inappropriate?) settings.
  • DoctorGDoctorG Posts: 2FreedomPop Newbie
    I can no longer choose codecs on my HTC One S since Messaging was updated to version 18.05.427.1215. If I choose Settings, Audio, I have a list of Echo cancellation, Echo cancellation calibration, Adaptive rate control, Adaptive rate algorithm, Codec bitrate limit. Below that it says Codecs in a different font and I can't click on it or do anything. Any ideas?
    DoctorG said:

I can no longer choose codecs on my HTC One S since Messaging was updated to version 18.05.427.1215. If I choose Settings, Audio, I have a list of Echo cancellation, Echo cancellation calibration, Adaptive rate control, Adaptive rate algorithm, Codec bitrate limit. Below that it says Codecs in a different font and I can't click on it or do anything. Any ideas?

I've noticed that, it's pretty clear they don't want us to tinker with codecs. So they locked down that feature in settings.
    Billing cycle 7th