Finally got FreedomPop working on Dual Sim Phone

ribbotsonribbotson Posts: 3FreedomPop Newbie
edited January 2016 in Using Your Devices #1
Finally, after four months of trying, I’ve got freedom pop working and playing nice with the second SIM in a dual SIM phone.
I’ve been having the same problems as many others when trying to use the Freedom pop messenger app. For me the app seemed to try to go out via the phones dialler rather than directly through Wifi. Resulting in neither SIM working properly.
My solution. I manged to download a copy of “FreedomPop Free Call and Text APK (Version: 17.02.111.1218)”. This, American version, is not available in the UK via “Play Store” but I manged to download it from ‘apkpure.com’. Virus scanned it, to make sure it was clean, then side loaded it onto my phone.
Result, with my phone setup as described below, Freedom pop sim (in Sim slot 1) sends and receives both texts and calls via either Wifi or LTE (4G) wireless (Haven’t tried 3G wireless yet but I Guess it should work). While a GiffGaff SIM in slot 2 continues to work with my phones standard dialler and messaging apps.
Setup:-
Android Settings:
‘SIM cards’ -> SIM 1, Freedom pop, SIM is enabled; SIM 2, GiffGaff, SIM is enabled.
Preferred SIM for Mobile Data = Freedom pop.
Preferred SIM for calls = GiffGaff.
Preferred SIM for SMS messages = GiffGaff.
‘More’ -> Default SMS app = Messenger (Phones standard App).
Launch ‘FreedomPop Free Call and Text APK’ and login to your UK FreedomPop account.
Go to settings and under ‘Network’, check the ‘Use wifi only’ box.
I hope this will help anyone who is struggling to make FreedomPop work.
Further information; my phone is a ‘Oneplus 2’ running Android Lollipop with Oxygen OS version 2.2.0. I will try setting this up on my wife’s ‘ThL W100’ running Android Jelly Bean tomorrow and report back.

Ok, I have now installed ‘FreedomPop Free Call and Text APK’ on my Wife's ‘ThL W100’ running Android Jelly Bean. And it works.
This time, when first launching the App, I got the message "Please uninstall this App. You need to run Freedom Pop Messaging App instead. Please install Freedom Pop Messaging App". Then the app closed.
When I reopened the App, it logged straight into my wife's Freedom Pop account and worked.
This shows the problems we have been having are code related, so hopefully, Freedom Pop's developers will be able to transpose the necessary code to make the UK version work.

Another issue I have seen people are having is a problem running third party VOIP Apps alongside the Freedom Pop Messaging App. I can confirm that 'Sip Discounts' VOIP app will work on the same phone as the ‘FreedomPop Free Call and Text APK’.
Hope this helps a few people.
Post edited by ribbotson on

Comments

• nigel610nigel610 Posts: 9FreedomPop Newbie
    • works on redmi 2 now have sound
  • ribbotsonribbotson Posts: 3FreedomPop Newbie
    edited January 2016 #3
    Deleted, because I edited change into above when this didn't appear straight away - Sorry, I'll know better next time.
    Post edited by ribbotson on
  • Davey (3rd)Davey (3rd) Posts: 132FreedomPop Newbie
    @ribbotson yep confirmed this works on one of my chinese phones that I was having difficulty with, I admire your fortitude for keeping at it for 4 months! but it seems to have paid off. Thank you
  • jizangjizang Posts: 8FreedomPop Newbie
    edited January 2016 #5
    @ribbotson GREAT! The US app works great on One Plus 2, I can call out when the app is active. I have same config as you :) ... 1st sim = freedompop, 2nd sim = Giffgaff and an OnePlus 2 phone (You must be my mobile doppelganger ...HAHA)

Now just have to fix why I'm not getting notifications when someone calls me, it rings on the caller side but it does not ring on my phone. Maybe a nice admin / support (@Karina Magana ) can look into this for me?
    Post edited by jizang on
  • mattashhallmattashhall Posts: 6FreedomPop Newbie
    edited January 2016 #6
    I assume you also removed the UK FreedomPop app first or did you have both loaded?

Edit - I've just tried it and you need to uninstall the UK one first otherwise the US one fails. However, it is up and running now on my Doogee X5 Pro so cheers for your work on this!
    Post edited by mattashhall on
  • jizangjizang Posts: 8FreedomPop Newbie

I assume you also removed the UK FreedomPop app first or did you have both loaded?

yes I have removed the uk app. You can only have 1 app installed at a time anyway :)
  • woodyukwoodyuk Posts: 37FreedomPop Newbie
    Thanks for this which worked perfectly for me with my Elephone P8000.

The same as happened with you,when I first opened the FP app I got an error message which I just closed and opened the app again and it worked perfectly.

I now have sim settings for calls and texts from my non FP sim and use the stock dialer and messaging app for that sim and the FP app to call and text from that sim.

Thanks again,super job and saves me the faff of having to force close the FP Messaging app before I can dial out on my second (also giffgaff) sim
  • jTemplarjTemplar Posts: 6FreedomPop Newbie
    @ribbotson Many thanks for working this through to a successful conclusion; works great on my Elephone P7000 which didn't present me with any error message on install and works well.
  • iamnotspartacusiamnotspartacus Posts: 16FreedomPop Newbie
    Hi
    Does the GiffGaff SIM in slot 2 work in 3G or 2G? Reason being I have been trying to set up mine for 2 SIMM service on the on in slot1 will work not slot2. I have followed exactly your instruction, but failed.I am with same provider with FP and my original provider Three.
  • Fabrizio MartellucciFabrizio Martellucci Posts: 657FreedomPop Newbie, UK Pro ✭✭✭✭

Hi
    Does the GiffGaff SIM in slot 2 work in 3G or 2G? Reason being I have been trying to set up mine for 2 SIMM service on the on in slot1 will work not slot2. I have followed exactly your instruction, but failed.I am with same provider with FP and my original provider Three.

2G which Three doesn't support as they're only 3G ( and up )
    Billing cycle 7th
  • David AllanDavid Allan Posts: 4FreedomPop Newbie
    Is there a fix planned (or other work-around) that does not need to be "side loaded".
    I have a Moto G2 XT1068 with Lollipop 5.0.2
    Ideally I would like a full list of required settings as I have unsuccessfully tried altering some of them.
    Fabyon said:

Hi

So to enable one to use 2 sim on the same phone you will need a smart phone with at least 4G dual sim slot so that the second one will always work on 3G as intended.
  • Fabrizio MartellucciFabrizio Martellucci Posts: 657FreedomPop Newbie, UK Pro ✭✭✭✭

Fabyon said:

Hi

So to enable one to use 2 sim on the same phone you will need a smart phone with at least 4G dual sim slot so that the second one will always work on 3G as intended.
    Pretty much, yes ! ;)
    Billing cycle 7th
    Or get a SIM with one of the other three networks that support 2G ( o2, Vodafone or EE )
    Billing cycle 7th
  • Alex WalesAlex Wales Posts: 68FreedomPop Newbie
    Pretty much, no. Unfortunately. Almost all phones will only have 2g on their second slot regardless of how many gs the first slot is capable of. There are a few phones out there that support 4g on both slots, but you can only select one for use at a time - this would render a 3 sim useless if you had a FP sim selected. Apparently the Windows blufone that Amazon sell is like this. Of course, this could be perfect for you, but as it is with technology, make sure you read as much as you can on a potential solution to make sure it'll work for you.
    It wouldn't make it, totally useless as fp uses an app for call so whilst using a 3g/4g slot for data with the other providers then calls and texts could still be received and sent. The only bonus with such phone would be the avoidance of having to swap the sims all the time.

Hopefully new dual sims handsets will arrive on the market with dual standby using 4g and 3g...
    Billing cycle 7th
    Tried it on a dual 4G sim, doesn't work. You can only activate one sim at a time to work with 3G/4G, the other always revert back to 2G(GSM) which is useless.
    I think 2 phone will be the easiest and less hassle solution, unless one of your provider is 2G!!!
  • bushwackabushwacka Posts: 2FreedomPop Newbie
    I have oneplus2 dual sim phone, I can send/receive sms and use internet with fp sim card, but i can't make calls when call to uk number nothing happens and people can't call me to fp number. What's the problem ? :>
  • Anne HurleyAnne Hurley Posts: 34FreedomPop Newbie
    Kazam trooper 455 dual sim won't work on esim 1 FP and I've done apk install and it still won't work. Git ee on other sim. Help
  • bagginsatseabagginsatsea Posts: 2FreedomPop Newbie
    Well done. Works perfectly on Wiley Fox Swift with FP &O2.

Phone suddenly stopped receiving messages to O2. I was going to dump FP card after wasting much time until my son linked me to your tip. I think the British carrier THREE knows quite well about ddual sim phone problems. And why did they not expect Android Messenger and FP Messenger to clash having same name?

Well done again
  • David AllanDavid Allan Posts: 4FreedomPop Newbie

Is there a fix planned (or other work-around) that does not need to be "side loaded".
    I have a Moto G2 XT1068 with Lollipop 5.0.2
    Ideally I would like a full list of required settings as I have unsuccessfully tried altering some of them.

I have a Virgin SIM (in slot 2) so should be OK for 2G. So what settings do I need to have Virgin calls and Freedompop working for data, sms and calls.
    Dual sim phones have different settings but you should have a section where you can give the SIMS priority: I would give the Virgin priority/default status for SMS and calls then the Freedompop SIMS ( might show up as 3 UK ) for mobile data. The phone should have figured out the correct APN settings if that's what you meant. If you want to make a call use the dialer for virgin or the fp messenger app for Freedompop.
    Billing cycle 7th
  • RichardsofficeRichardsoffice Posts: 34FreedomPop Newbie
    Well done 'Ribbotson' terrific work and thanks for sharing.

Also I have found 'Alex Wales' comment is correct:- “a few phones out there support 4g on both slots, but you can only select one for use at a time - this would render a 3 sim useless if you had a FP sim selected”
    My 2nd Sim is Three network and with this I can only have one active at any time, with only one Sim’s bars showing in the Status bar on my new dual Sim Elephone P9000!

However if I put a EE Sim (has 2G) in with the FP Sim then both are shown as active on the top Status bar with 4G (or 3G dependent on my locality) showing for the FP Sim in slot 1, and just G (2G) for the EE Sim in slot 2 both can call out and receive calls in, whereas if I have the Three Sim and the FP Sim, only one is active at any time with only one sim showing up in the Status bar as 3 or 4G and only one Sim can call out and receive calls dependent on which I set as active with data in my phones settings.
    Below is link to my edited screenshot x2 showing when I have my ‘3’ Sim in slot 1; and the FP Sin in slot 2.
    Hope this will be of help to dual sim owners :)

postimg.org/image/hiolklwax/
    edited April 2016 #26
    Removed duplicate
    Post edited by Richardsoffice on
This discussion has been closed.