Why have I been charged £8.99 when it should be £0.00?

wiccan2wiccan2 Posts: 2FreedomPop Newbie
Just signed up for the free sim deal with 1 month of premium free and was told at checkout that my card would not be charged. Checked my bank and £8.99 has been taken. This is fraudulent and I want my money back. This kind of behaviour is unacceptable.

When I have come to the forums here I see that I am one of the lucky ones and others have been charged the £8.99 twice!

Could someone from freedomPop please contact me ASAP to get this sorted as my account is now overdrawn and I fear I will be charged again.

My only course of action now would be to phone my bank and put a notice to refuse any further requests from your company.

I've literally been a customer for minutes and you've already made me want to leave your service.

Comments

• failanasfailanas Posts: 1FreedomPop Newbie
    I have been charged x3. Even I haven't used that SIM. I'm going to ring to the bank regarding fraud.
  • Hello @wiccan2

I was not able to locate the account with the 8.99 charges, the email that I was able to locate only had 0.00 charges which is for your Micro SIM. If you have another account email, please send me a private message providing me with it so that I can further assist you.
  • Hello @failanas

Are you suppose to be on the free plan as well or would you like to downgrade? Also you said that you haven't used the SIM, has it not been working at all?
  • wiccan2wiccan2 Posts: 2FreedomPop Newbie
    I hadn't used the SIM because it happened 10mins after I signed up, it hasn't even been shipped, I downgraded the account to prevent you taking any more money.

Your billing page never registered that the £8.99 was taken.

I checked my bank yesterday and the £8.99 is no longer missing from my balance. The bank did confirm that you had tried to take £8.99 on Sunday though.

I was expecting some form of contact about the money being returned but it seems that it has been done quietly for some reason.

My intention was to trial the service on the free package for a while before my current contact ends. The intention was to switch to the paid package after that but now I'm not sure.

All I know is that freedompop took my money and now it's back.
  • ZoltanVZoltanV Posts: 2FreedomPop Newbie
    HI, similar thing here. I signed up for a free sim to test out on the sea where i work as a rescue phone, but suddenly FPOP charged me 8.99 on the 2nd month. I will inform my bank as well and report the company. Seems like just an other **** out there. Also when i want to delete my account the system wants to charge me 19 dollars for that. I told this idea to my colleagues earlier but now i will spread the word to avoid this company.
  • @wiccan2

We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience that this has caused on your end. We are glad to hear that the money was not taken from your account, in the case it happens again please let us know so that we can look further into this.
  • Hello @ZoltanV

I was able to locate your account and was able to see that when you first signed up you were on a free trial, since the trial was not cancelled before the renewal you were charged. However, I have gone ahead and refunded you the charge and downgraded the plan so there are no future charges. Please allow 3-4 business days for the refund to appear on your end.
  • cookie89cookie89 Posts: 1FreedomPop Newbie
    I've supposedly been charged 19.99 and i have no idea why i too only just signed up with same email address used to sign up here and within minutes was charged 19.99 and bank left overdrawn why do they keep charging people when the site states overall fee as £0.00 then i get charged £19.99 i've emailed them but its going to take days fora response and i fear i am not going to get the response i want.
  • sushdsushd Posts: 60FreedomPop Newbie
    edited August 2016 #10
    People get charged because they "forget" to deactivate paid subscription and / or services (offered free initially) before the trial period ends.

Charge / billing details are available to see on the FreedomPop website. All one needs to do is login and check!

:/

If you want "free" FreedomPop after the trial period, make sure you do all the following before the trial / subscription ends:
    1. Downgrade to Basic 200 Plan.
    2. Deactivate FreedomPop Premier.
    3. Deactivate International Plan (if you have bought any).
    4. Deactivate any other paid service you have subscribed to.

You should thus be set for "free" FreedomPop.

Alternatively, use the following links:
    1. http://tinyurl.com/downgrademyplan
    2. http://www.freedompop.com/account/service/downgradePremier

Hope it helps.
    Post edited by sushd on