Why am I being charged?

AndreaWaltersAndreaWalters Posts: 1FreedomPop Newbie
Hi... at the minute we are very confused and a bit annoyed.

What we thought was we were getting a sim for our 8 year old son, 200 texts/minutes/mb data... paid the £6.99 upfront, but then noticed each month a £5 credit refill being added and £1.99 premium voice....
We never asked for these or expected a monthly bill.

Our son is very careful, hardly makes any texts or calls.. maybe 1 call a month and maybe 20 to 50 texts a month

tried to look at "usage" in the account and all it shows is "over capacity"..... how do we find out what has gone over capacity - and if so, does this mean we autmatically get charged? Id have much rather chosen freedompop if they literally "blocked" the phone if there was no inclusive data/texts/or calls..... to automatically go over is easy for anyone, especially a kid..

can anyone enlighten me ?

Comments

• gnfgnf Posts: 64FreedomPop Newbie
    There is some sort of usage page viewable when you login to your Freedompop account, but it is not very friendly and I prefer to check usage reported by my phone.

You can configure the Freedompop SIM so it is completely free.

As far as I know, all SIMs come with a one month free trial. The (very) small print when you order the SIM explains the trial has to be cancelled or you will be billed a month later, but not everyone notes this.

That means it is up to you to proactively cancel the paid plan or you will be charged after one month. Easiest way to do this is using a desktop machine's browser (it's a bit fiddly using a phone browser).

First you have to ensure that you have DOWNGRADED to the free plan. And you have to proactively cancel premium voice as well. To prevent being charged when you approach your data allowance, you also have to cancel auto top-up. Once you have cancelled these three options, the charges should stop. Note that, due to the way Freedompop service works, when the 200MB data is used up, the SIM will stop working. That means no calls or texts as well, until your next billing date.

There are detailed instructions on how to complete these steps in this FAQ thread:

https://forums.freedompop.com/discussion/12156/guide-uk-faqs/p1
  • StewiebStewieb Posts: 4FreedomPop Newbie
    I've downgrade and stop auto topups but am still being charged.For both my sons phones any ideas why?
  • StewiebStewieb Posts: 4FreedomPop Newbie
    This isn't case for me I've been bill :# Which I don't understand why :/ As auto top-ups and disable and I'm not signed up to any services.