Hangouts calls on Global Sim

Glen SagersGlen Sagers Posts: 6FreedomPop Newbie
First, I apologize if this is the wrong forum, but there's not a separate forum for the Global SIM card. I am using the Global SIM, which I "think" is the same as the UK SIM. I'm currently in the US, but will be traveling abroad soon, so I'm trying to get this working.

What I want to do is to use Hangouts with Hangouts Dialer to make calls from my Google Voice number, which is my primary phone number. I have dialer installed, and have read all the posts in the Google Voice section of these forums.

Right now, I can call a US number from my phone by ensuring that +1 is in front of the US number. I cannot receive calls on my Google Voice number by simply dialing it from a regular US cell phone, nor can I call my Google Voice number by dialing +44 in front of it.

When I look up the IP address on my phone, it's a 10.x.x.x address; when I use a service like whatsmyip.com to find the real-world (not NAT'ed) IP, it shows, unsurprisingly, as a UK address. I'm wondering whether the NAT is the issue, or whether it's something to do with the card itself.

In other words, is there a way to do this - have my US Google Voice number available anywhere in the world via Hangouts, while connected on the FP SIM?

Thanks,
Glen

Comments

• limeylimey Posts: 674FreedomPop Newbie ✭✭✭
    @Glen Sagers - My Global SIM hasn't yet been delivered, but I just used my Global hotspot (which I believe uses the same SIM) with my phone connected to it by WiFi, to test making/receiving calls via my FP & GV numbers to other US numbers - this also gave the connected phone a UK IP address, but for the most part worked in both directions, with both dialers. On one incoming call, the phone didn't ring, on another it took a long time to start - on the other tries, the calls were completed & audible in both directions.

You shouldn't use the +44 UK country prefix unless you're making a call to a UK number - although the IP address may be in the UK, as far as GV is concerned, you're using your US GV number from the US, regardless of where the IP address, or the phone are physically located. Theoretically, this should work anywhere the SIM gives you a data connection, provided VOIP traffic isn't being blocked in some way.

One thing I did notice, was that locally I have a stronger AT&T signal, which the Global hotspot usually grabs first - however, there seems to be a built-in preference to use an available T-Mobile signal regardless & the hotspot will typically switch to the latter after a minute or so. Usually, this is seamless, but when it occurred with my phone connected on WiFi, the phone sat without a valid IP address for a while - during which calls in either direction inevitably failed. You may want to rule out any problems caused by weak/intermittent signal, by experimenting in a location with the best signal you can find & also checking that you have a good internet connection just before trying the calls.
  • drgeoffdrgeoff Posts: 175FreedomPop Newbie ✭✭✭
    As long as you have an adequate* internet connection (either WiFi or mobile/cellular) GV/Hangouts should work anywhere in the world except those countries where it is deliberately blocked by government or ISP.

* Double NAT may indeed be a problem.
  • Glen SagersGlen Sagers Posts: 6FreedomPop Newbie
    I've tried dialing all the ways I can think of; with and without +1 in front of (###)###-###, and tried with and without +44 in desperation. I'll play with signal issues, but I seem to recall it was full bars each time.
    If you really think that putting +44 in front of a GV number will make it work, you are in a bad way.
  • Ron LTE VOICE SIMRon LTE VOICE SIM Posts: 261FreedomPop Newbie, FP Flyer ✭✭✭
    edited May 2016 #6
    Here's the issue that just changing the country code doesn't address... the cost!

If Hangouts sees you are on a UK server, they won't route a call for free. That's how they make money. See, the cost for a US to US call with Hangouts is free. For calls to or from the UK, it's $.01 per minute. It doesn't seem like much, but if you were planning on using the "free" connection, it doesn't work. Of course, you can use the FreedomPop App, but then you can get a local number or use hangout messaging either.

I'm not sure that there is a technical way to solve this because FreedomPop is using a 3 SIM (UK based) for this. The other issue is that my latency has been all over the board from 300ms up to 2100ms and data speeds are only in the 1-3 Mbps range down and .5-2 Mbps up. The low range on the upstream is barely enough for a VoIP call.

I think they jumped the gun on this offer for US users and they should have left it at a tablet only deal.
  • Ron LTE VOICE SIMRon LTE VOICE SIM Posts: 261FreedomPop Newbie, FP Flyer ✭✭✭
    Just found this on the Google site...

International calls

Calls to destinations outside of the U.S. are at low rates. Purchase calling credit to place paid calls.

If you have a U.S.-based phone number and try to place calls through Google Voice while you are in another country, you will be charged the Google Voice international rates. You may also be subject to additional roaming fees from your carrier.

So, even though I have a US number, because it is being routed through 3, it's charged as an international call. That explains it, so without a credit on the account, there's no calling or texting...
    edited May 2016 #8

Just found this on the Google site...

International calls

Calls to destinations outside of the U.S. are at low rates. Purchase calling credit to place paid calls.

If you have a U.S.-based phone number and try to place calls through Google Voice while you are in another country, you will be charged the Google Voice international rates. You may also be subject to additional roaming fees from your carrier.

So, even though I have a US number, because it is being routed through 3, it's charged as an international call. That explains it, so without a credit on the account, there's no calling or texting...

@Ron Lunsford - GS4 - Google Voice calls aren't VOIP, so would go out via whatever local carrier you're using abroad - however, the Global SIM is a data service (even the earlier batch that let you request a phone number, don't appear to successfully give you a voice plan), so Google Voice alone, can't be used with the Global SIM - but you can make/receive calls from/to your GV number, using Global SIM data with Hangouts.

As far as I've been able to tell, incoming & outgoing calls using Hangouts, to other Hangouts numbers & most US numbers will be free.

https://support.google.com/hangouts/answer/3437917?hl=en

I just tried an outgoing call & an SMS from Hangouts on a phone connected via WiFi to my Global Hotspot (which gives the phone a UK IP address), to USA FP numbers - both went through without any charge so far showing either in the Hangouts app, or on the web.

Having said that, you could also use the FP Free Call & Text app with the Global SIM to call/SMS USA numbers for free, using the Global SIM's data, whilst outside the USA. If you also add the free international plan, you'll be able to make 'local' calls outside the USA. (You'll have to be in a country that's supported by the Global SIM/FP international plan, of course.)
    Post edited by limey on
    Google Voice calls ARE VoIP. They are not SIP but SIP is not the only VoIP protocol.

I don't use Hangouts but I do have GV with a US number. In the UK I use that GV account with Asterisk or an OBi device on my VDSL service to make calls to US and Canada numbers. I have never put any credit on the GV account.
    drgeoff said:

Google Voice calls ARE VoIP. They are not SIP but SIP is not the only VoIP protocol.

I don't use Hangouts but I do have GV with a US number. In the UK I use that GV account with Asterisk or an OBi device on my VDSL service to make calls to US and Canada numbers. I have never put any credit on the GV account.

OK, not VOIP in the same way, then.

For the purpose of making free calls from a supported country outside the USA to a USA number, using hangouts & the Global SIM with an android phone (ie: the OP's topic), the GV app isn't the way to go.
  • Glen SagersGlen Sagers Posts: 6FreedomPop Newbie
    Yep, that's about what I figured. Did some more testing today, before coming back to this thread, and noticed that:

1. When I send an SMS to a 10-digit US number from the phone with the Global SIM, with Hangouts logged into my GV account, by default, it DOES detect that it's coming from the UK and automatically prepends a +44 in front of it - (to drgeoff's earlier point, that's why I tried to dial +44 in the first place, because I'd seen that behavior!).
    2. If I manually enter +1 (xxx)yyy-zzzz, the text goes through.
    3. When I do a voice call on Hangouts on the same circumstances, adding +1 manually, the call to the US number goes through (for a small fee).

However, I still cannot place inbound calls to that GV number while the Global SIM is in the phone, whether I dial 10 digit or +1 and 10 digit. When I connect to my local WiFi, the call goes through, the same happens when I use a standard US sim.

This could be a problem that the GV number is technically a Project Fi number, maybe they're handling them differently. So, in any case, I'm calling it quits on this, it's not a major issue when I can simply use Hangouts-Hangouts directly, or WhatsApp, or FP's Call/Text app, or dozens of others.

Thanks for the input.
  • Charles epnetzero MorganCharles epnetzero Morgan Posts: 2FreedomPop Newbie
    I was able to make a US call with my global data SIM by dialing +1 (XXX) XXX-XXXX.
  • Charles epnetzero MorganCharles epnetzero Morgan Posts: 2FreedomPop Newbie
    I did get one of the text/call/data also, with that one I am sometimes able to get/make calls to/from my US number with the FP app, but it is not very reliable currently. Still a great deal!
  • EmmaEmma Posts: 2FreedomPop Newbie
    I have the same problem as @limey. I can't receive GV call on FP SIM data, even after added credit to my GV account. Although I can receive text over GV number, without spending any credit. Outgoing call over GV number has no issue. And incoming/outgoing calls on WiFi are fine. Any tip?
  • fpsim6 Morganfpsim6 Morgan Posts: 6FreedomPop Newbie
    @Emma did you try it with Hangouts instead of GV?
  • dishedishe Posts: 13FreedomPop Newbie
    I had something similar trying this with an iPhone 4s and the hangouts app just now. It kept trying to add a +44 to the beginning of any number I tried to dial, and I'd have to manually go back and do +1 before the number for it to work.
    I noticed an option under settings to verify the mobile phone number I was using, which was blank aside from a +44 prefix. I decided to try and put in a US number there to see if it would stop assuming I'm in Europe. It sends you a text for verification, so I actually used my new Freedompop number! Then I went ahead and entered the verification code they texted my FP app with, and now I can dial out like a normal US-based phone with no more than 10 digits. No more +44 prefix, and I can verify that both an outgoing and incoming call worked over cellular data.

To be fair, I can't verify whether or not calls worked before I verified the US number. I had tried it over Wifi previously, and only once I had removed the +44 assumption did I attempt to call over cellular data. I'd assume the same would be true if using the android version.
  • brang681brang681 Posts: 3FreedomPop Newbie
    So you guys are saying that I won't be able make Hangouts calls to US numbers without adding money to my GV account? And I'll always have to dial a +1?