problems with messaging and not receiving calls - ignore early question, now revised

GaryWestGaryWest FreedomPop Newbie Posts: 7
edited May 2016 in Using Your Devices #1
Hi all,

Brand new user today receiving my Sim card - I have a iphone 4 - followed the instructions exactly and checked coverage but cannot obtian a network signal Have then followed the flight mode etc instructions and still no joy.

One Ive turned flight mode back on, an error message appears which says Invalid sim. Ive removed the SIM made sure its seated and fitted correctly and nothing works - any suggestions please?

Thanks
Post edited by GaryWest on

Comments

• GaryWestGaryWest FreedomPop Newbie Posts: 7
    anyone?
  • Stephen ChipchaseStephen Chipchase FreedomPop Newbie Posts: 58 ✭✭
    Invalid SIM in an iPhone could mean the phone is locked to another network.

What was the last network you used in the phone?

Can you find a Three UK SIM and try that? Most petrol stations and corner shops sell them for 99p, if it says the same thing the phone is locked

If you put "iPhone network check free" into Google you can enter your IMEI and it will tell you if it is locked to a network, if the first one doesn't work, try another
    My comments and thoughts are my own opinion.
    I do not work for FreedomPop................ But if they're hiring I'll join B)

Thanks for the comments - looks like its locked to Vodafone. Will request a form and take it from there :-)
    ok update - phone now unlocked and I have a signal - yay but............. Im struggling to send test messages using either IM or SMS (sometimes works as SMS) althoughy both are turned on in settings. Also when people dial my number my phone just doesnt ring - confused or what!

Any suggestions please?
  • ritsonritson FreedomPop Newbie Posts: 172 ✭✭✭
    do you not have to use freedompops messenger app like we do on android on the iphone??
    jason ritson 1st
    andrea ritson 6th
    adam ritson 12th
    You can only call and text from the FreedomPop app and iMessage/FaceTime might not activate (although you can still use your Apple ID to use iMessage and FaceTime).
    Whatsapp...... I'm not too sure about as I don't use it on the iPhone.

The iPhone dialler and SMS apps are rendered useless apart from FaceTime and iMessage.

When calls fail to be received are you on wifi? If you are, try without wifi and if they can get through on mobile data only you'll need for forward port 5060 on your wifi router to your iPhone and assign your iPhone a static IP address (it's a voip issue not a FreedomPop one).
    You might need a couple of other ports forwarding too if you get one way audio on wifi calls.
    If calls still don't come through, make sure the number people are dialling is the one in the FreedomPop app not the one on the iPhone contacts list (that's the SIM card number used by three to provision data services).

Thanks for that Stephen very informative - try this one then!!!! I removed the FP app and re-installed it and things improved a little, people can now ring for instance however when my phone rings, and the phones on lock (which is normal) it physically rings but I cannot answer from the main screen, I have to unlock, go top the FP app, click on it and then answer - Is there any solution to this because this makes the use simply unpractical.
    and................the issue go on - maybe an Apple issue opposed to FP this one, but my IM messaging will just not engage - throws out an error message every time. Does anyone else using an iphone have so many issues?
    You can set up the notifications from a banner to a an alert in the iOS, with an alert when you swipe to answer it from a locked screen you still have to do the touch ID or passcode thing but it gives you the option to answer it or ignore it.
    I think the reason you can't answer calls from the lockscreen like you can with other apps is more to do with Apple Security than with the FreedomPop app.

Which IM are you having issues with? iMessage won't register/activate with your mobile number on FreedomPop, you'll need to go into messages settings and turn off send as SMS and change the send & receive number to your Apple ID or another email address.
    Facetime/iMessage will only work with email addresses or your Apple ID until either FreedomPop allow activation on the network (I think they send a hidden SMS text from the SIM card to activate them but you can't do that with FreedomPop) or Apple changes their iMessage/Facetime activation.

Re IM I have now switched off SMS option and my send/receive number is my Apple ID - when I turn on IMessage, it simply hangs on " Waiting for activation" if you toggle off and on it then throws up an error message "An error occurred during activation, try again"
  • mk2016mk2016 FreedomPop Newbie Posts: 4
    Same here. It's spinning on waiting for activation and I can't use my email address for iMessage or Facetime. Any help with this? This can be a real dealbreaker if there's no fix.
  • mk2016mk2016 FreedomPop Newbie Posts: 4
    GaryWest said:

Re IM I have now switched off SMS option and my send/receive number is my Apple ID - when I turn on IMessage, it simply hangs on " Waiting for activation" if you toggle off and on it then throws up an error message "An error occurred during activation, try again"

Same issue with both iMessage and Facetime. Using iPhone 5s.