UK Global Hotspot/Global SIM with FP App

Stephen ChipchaseStephen Chipchase Posts: 58FreedomPop Newbie ✭✭
Hi all

I'm looking at the UK Global Hotspot as the SIM STILL shows as out of stock and I could do with a new mifi hotspot and I have a few questions for those in the know/those who have and use the hotspot/SIM.
  1. Does the Sim/Hotspot come with a UK number and the 200 minutes and texts?
  2. I know I can connect my iPhone to the mifi/hotspot and make/receive FreedomPop calls/texts using the app, but does the data used making/receiving said calls and texts come off the data allowance or are calls/texts whitelisted as they are on my UK SIM and don't come off my data allowance?
  3. If the answer to above is yes, they behave like your normal UK SIM, I have two numbers linked to my account, one is my iPhone and one is my wifes iPhone, could we both use the hotspot connection to make and receive FP calls/texts on our phones when roaming?
  4. What about a number from yet another account? I ordered the kids some SIMs using another email account, would they be able to use the hotspot for calls and texts using the whitelisted data?
I'm presuming the way the UK SIM works with calls and texts is the FreedomPop billing platform has the SIP server address/domain on a whitelist (fp.layered.net), set up in a way so all data to and from that domain is discounted against actual data allowances, a bit like with other mobile providers that let you visit their website to top up even without credit or data left.

Basically I want to know if I can take the family to Spain with the UK Global hotspot and have us all using our own FreedomPop accounts (4 numbers in total on 2 different accounts/email addresses), will calls and texts using the FreedomPop apps eat into the mobile data or is it whitelisted like it is with the normal UK SIMs?

I'm presuming if I put a Global SIM into my iPhone it would work as normal with the FreedomPop app and whitelist the calls/texts data and I'm also presuming that if it works like a normal UK SIM in my iPhone whitelisting data the same could be said in a hotspot too?
The multiple accounts thing is bugging me too but if it is the SIP domain (fp.layered.net) that is whitelisted then it shouldn't be a problem.

Any advice, ideas or pointers would be great.
My comments and thoughts are my own opinion.
I do not work for FreedomPop................ But if they're hiring I'll join B)

Tagged:

Best Answer

Answers

• jimbjimb Posts: 5FreedomPop Newbie
    edited May 2016 #3
    The uk MIFI 2 comes with uk phone number. Mine was delivered 4 weeks ago and has never worked mybe Limey has the answer (attached phone number) support cant work it out so i will pass his post on.I can use it as a hotspot in unlocked phone so not all bad news.Also cant display data display page
    Post edited by jimb on
  • limeylimey Posts: 674FreedomPop Newbie ✭✭✭
    jimb said:

The uk MIFI 2 comes with uk phone number. Mine was delivered 4 weeks ago and has never worked mybe Limey has the answer (attached phone number) support cant work it out so i will pass his post on.I can use it as a hotspot in unlocked phone so not all bad news.Also cant display data display page

@jimb - Yeah, that data display issue is one of the symptoms that been reported after requesting a phone number for a Global Hotspot. Did yours come that way (with the phone number), or did you request it? (Just curious, the system ought to be able to cope, either way.)

When you say that your hotspot doesn't work - how far does it get? Does it see/connect to any signals?
  • jimbjimb Posts: 5FreedomPop Newbie
    When i ordered i was given a number, no choice.The first day it connected to freedompop for about 5 hours then displayed no sim detected and thats still the case and support do not seem able to solve the problem.
    @jimb - Can you try the SIM in another unlocked device? Alternatively, my hotspot appears to be unlocked, so you could try a SIM from another device in it. Rule out failure of the hotspot vs the SIM (assuming you haven't already tried).
  • Stephen ChipchaseStephen Chipchase Posts: 58FreedomPop Newbie ✭✭
    @limey @jimb Thanks for the replies

I ordered one not long after I made this thread, I had to set up yet another account/use yet another email to order but that was to be expected, I've just got to wait for delivery before I can play.

When I ordered and paid, it took me to the page with the order status on and wouldn't do much else but I managed to find the other parts of my new profile, when I click on plans, it only shows the Global 200 (the free plan I've chosen), the Global 1Gig and the Global 2Gig, no option to add a phone number but the services page was empty.

TBH I'm not that bothered about it coming with a phone number as it would more than likely go to waste but I was hoping that FreedomPop call and text data used on my iPhone connected to the hotspot would be refunded/readjusted or otherwise whitelisted on the hotspot.
    So to sum up, if for the sake of the argument I put the hotspots Global SIM into my iPhone, data will work as normal and the FreedomPop app will work as normal but calls and text won't be whitelisted and the data used on FreedomPop calls/texts will come off the plans allotted allowance?

I'll have to do some experiments when it arrives and I'll let you all know if it is different to the SIM cards used in the US hotspots.

So to sum up, if for the sake of the argument I put the hotspots Global SIM into my iPhone, data will work as normal and the FreedomPop app will work as normal but calls and text won't be whitelisted and the data used on FreedomPop calls/texts will come off the plans allotted allowance?
    I've a feeling that this would result in data usage on the hotspot account (since it's not tied to any of your phone accounts), though I'm not sure how the Messaging app will respond to having a different SIM in use. It'd be interesting to see what happens. Either way, I'd still bring the hotspot along, so that multiple devices can use it (within wifi range).
  • Stephen ChipchaseStephen Chipchase Posts: 58FreedomPop Newbie ✭✭
    limey said:

I've a feeling that this would result in data usage on the hotspot account (since it's not tied to any of your phone accounts), though I'm not sure how the Messaging app will respond to having a different SIM in use. It'd be interesting to see what happens.

To be honest the iPhone app works quite well with a UK Giffgaff SIM (obviously the app uses the GG data allowance) and it worked with a Moroccan Inwi SIM but I had to use a VPN back to my UK home network to get round the Moroccan Government SIP/Voip filters on mobile data.
    So based off that I think the app wouldn't have a problem, the iPhone app only has a manual sign in as far as I can tell and it's not linked to the SIM like the android apps.

• Fabrizio MartellucciFabrizio Martellucci Posts: 657FreedomPop Newbie, UK Pro ✭✭✭✭
    Just thought I would put it out there that Opera has released a free VPN app for iOS ;)
    Billing cycle 7th