Charged for a FREE service

hairybikerhairybiker Posts: 10FreedomPop Newbie
I was on the free trial, I had the free rollover for a month, but BEFORE the end of the month I have been charged for the rollover

Please refund immediately, not the service I want or expect.

Comments

• djphilosophydjphilosophy Posts: 31FreedomPop Newbie
    Same thing happened to me in the US with the "free" trial of data rollover. I'd advise people to not opt for the free data rollover trial when offered, unless they want to deal with having to contact FreedomPop for a refund.
  • Davey (3rd)Davey (3rd) Posts: 132FreedomPop Newbie
    Was this from an email offer? because I got this offer and couldn't figure out how it worked, so I gave it a miss....

I was going to try the just the data rollover, but its says "completely free for the rest of your plan period"
    So does the trial end at the same time as your billing cycle? if so then you have to cancel it before then, and then surely your data won't roll over??

If that's right then how is it a free trial? or am I missing something here?
  • gnfgnf Posts: 64FreedomPop Newbie
    When I downgraded my Trio SIM the day before the month's free trial ended up popped, there was the offer of 'please accept one month of rollover data as a parting gift'. When I clicked to accept the offer up popped an error message saying 'Error. Unable to process your purchase (sic)' and advising me to contact support.

Despite contacting support, I never got the free data rollover. By the time support picked up the ticket, the billing date had passed. I don't think support even understood the issue since they said there was no record of data rollover on the SIM (which is what I told them!) and repeatedly telling me how to *purchase* data rollover.

This was not just a one-off. All 3 members of my family had *exactly* the same experience with their Trio SIMs.

The fourth member of my family who only signed up recently has just received the offer which @Davey has posted. He will be giving it the bargepole treatment.

Anyone in the UK actually received this offer? Just curious.
  • limeyardlimeyard Posts: 4FreedomPop Newbie
    So much for 'free'!
    My free trial cost me £19.97
  • FwaffyFwaffy Posts: 3FreedomPop Newbie
    edited June 2016 #6
    I know what you mean. It is not immediately apparent that you have not downgraded during the trial as the thing it shows as your current plan is the trial which you know you are on for a month. Since i could not see the basic plan mentioned anywhere (I did not see the tiny font link under the current plan title) I just assumed that the downgrade happened automatically (I should have known better). I have been charged £12.98 for the 'free' service, with the sim happily doing nothing in a phone that is switched off.

That really is not going to win them customers as word of mouth is powerful. It is a bit sad that in order to downgrade, you first need to be savvy enough to look in the forums to figure out how to downgrade.
    Post edited by Fwaffy on
  • AttersAtters Posts: 6FreedomPop Newbie
    edited June 2016 #7
    Same, I did downgrade to the basic 200 which is the 'free' service.

The account shows a monthly charge of £0.00

However, they then subscribed me to a 'premier' service that wasn't displayed on the account and I had to B L O O D Y hunt to find it.

This freedompop thing is a complete F R A U D, using every trick to get some money out of you.

I've demanded a refund. If not given, then I'll file a F R A U D complaint as this was charged to my credit card.

Absolute A holes.
  • AttersAtters Posts: 6FreedomPop Newbie
    That siad I would file a F R A U D complaint... yet this site blocks that word... what a joke
  • hairybikerhairybiker Posts: 10FreedomPop Newbie
    I had the 2Gb trial, it included the roll over, I stupidly thought it would be like the advert says "completely free for the rest of your plan period", so after it rolled over I canceled it, result was LOSS of the 500Mb rolled over and a reduction of my 200Mb to 16Mb. (Due to using some of the 500Mb I thought I would have for the REST of the month since it was valid when I cancelled)

I have been refunded after opening a ticket. But this pay up front and cancel with immediate effect is stupid.
    I will give FreedomPop their due, I sent an email and within half an hour received a response that I was not expecting. They have promised me a refund and I have received another email saying it is in progress. If I get the refund then I cannot fault their customer service and might reconsider the service as a whole. I rate customer service as important and you only really find out how good a company is by how it deals with problems
  • Jonathan J.Jonathan J. Posts: 465 admin
    gnf said:

When I downgraded my Trio SIM the day before the month's free trial ended up popped, there was the offer of 'please accept one month of rollover data as a parting gift'. When I clicked to accept the offer up popped an error message saying 'Error. Unable to process your purchase (sic)' and advising me to contact support.

limeyard said:

So much for 'free'!
    My free trial cost me £19.97

Fwaffy said:

Since i could not see the basic plan mentioned anywhere (I did not see the tiny font link under the current plan title) I just assumed that the downgrade happened automatically (I should have known better). I have been charged £12.98 for the 'free' service, with the sim happily doing nothing in a phone that is switched off.

Atters said:

Same, I did downgrade to the basic 200 which is the 'free' service.

The account shows a monthly charge of £0.00

However, they then subscribed me to a 'premier' service that wasn't displayed on the account and I had to B L O O D Y hunt to find it.

Hello everyone,

An admin representative will be sending you a private message in order to gather some personal information regarding your request. Please make sure to check your forum inbox for the message :)
  • gnfgnf Posts: 64FreedomPop Newbie
    @Jon J

Private messages, no thanks.

I prefer to open support tickets and I would advise others to do the same. That way I have a job number and a clear audit trail to follow should it become necessary to take the matter further (Ofcom perhaps?).
    I sent Freedompop a message via the main website and within half an hour I received a response. That was it, situation sorted very quickly, efficiently and first time of contact. I cannot fault them on their customer service as it was impressive......and I have worked in call centres so know what pressures they can be under.
    So, I complained (or more factually, I had a major dummy spitting whinge) and they apologised, rectifying the situation. No drama, no trying to avoid the situation, just bang!! and it's sorted.
  • lesyeelesyee Posts: 1FreedomPop Newbie
    I was charged $12.98 for what FreedomPop says that I had the Global Plus 300 ($4.99) and Premium Plus ($7.99) service which I did not subscribe to. On their website under My Plans, it shows that I have the Global basic which shows $0.00 monthly (and NO Premium Plan). I have disputed the charge with my credit card and do not trust FreedomPop with my credit card information since they apparently charge whatever they want for their "free" service. I will also post this experience to Facebook and other social media so potential customers can be warned about FreedomPop's practices.
  • cornishbillcornishbill Posts: 3FreedomPop Newbie
    I downgraded my sin=m before the trial period ended, and made sure there were no add ons, and have had no problems that was 3 months ago, I have never been charged on that sim, it is kept mainly as a backup
  • LakeNokomisLakeNokomis Posts: 54FreedomPop Newbie
    While logged into my account, I looked at the support page and the category "deals". There was the triple Sim-plus-charger for $1.99. At the same time I was offered a second Sim for $1. I checked that, and instantaneously a statement including "$7.99" flitted across my screen and disappeared. I got my Sim and charger (which works amazingly well). On my credit card statement, I was billed for $1.99 on one line and $7.99 on another. The number given on my credit card was the general FP support number. No human answers this any more. Somehow I stumbled upon a number that gave me a human contact who spent a good deal of time with me trying to find why I was charged $7.99. He promised to call me back, but I have no evidence that this happened. Today I called my secret number only to find that the offices are closed. I called at 3pm CDT.

Despite all this I am a great fan of FP. Since Feb. 2016, I manage 5 accounts for family members, and I stay on top of every little detail that could cost me anything. I get the sense however that FP is over extended when, 1.) charges on a credit card cannot be corrected by calling the number attached to the charge. 2.) any calls to the company are greeted with the same looping message that gets me back to the start. I hate to say it, but I worry about the other shoe dropping with the message attached, "Sorry, it was a nice try, but we just couldn't do it."