Freedompop App no longer need the SIM card according to this article...

Fabrizio MartellucciFabrizio Martellucci FreedomPop Newbie, UK Pro Posts: 657 ✭✭✭✭
Engadget article about Freedompop App not needing the SIM card apparently
Billing cycle 7th

Comments

• Alex WalesAlex Wales FreedomPop Newbie Posts: 68
    Hmmm, interesting. I'm guessing that they must rely on a wifi connection, as 'needing the data is by the by' is a bit ambiguous.
    Of course there's nothing in the app description that says you need a data connection to make calls to anywhere in the world...
    I think fp are developing the service on the hoof a bit, which is not good for customers as descriptions on the service can be ambiguous at times, and this I reckon makes that a bit worse.
    Time will tell...
    Good spot though fabs!
  • limeylimey FreedomPop Newbie Posts: 674 ✭✭✭
    Looks like FP have basically added UK support/availability to the OTT Free Call and Text app, which always piggy-backed on whatever existing data connection you already had.
  • ritsonritson FreedomPop Newbie Posts: 172 ✭✭✭
    every month at the end of my billing cycle my account stops working for a few hours so when its on 0 days left i put in my 3 sim with free 200mb data & use that with the freedompop app
    jason ritson 1st
    andrea ritson 6th
    adam ritson 12th
  • 1stJohn Arkley1stJohn Arkley FreedomPop Newbie Posts: 392 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2016 #5
    That's pretty much what I'm doing now(until fp improves) I'm running my 3 data reward sim and if I'm going to do something data heavy or I'm running low on dates I use fp.
    I divert my 3 number to fp so the 3 number works when the fp sim is in and the fp number also works on either sim.
    Billing cycle starts ~ 1st of month
  • Fabrizio MartellucciFabrizio Martellucci FreedomPop Newbie, UK Pro Posts: 657 ✭✭✭✭
    I don't even bother swapping these days I just keep it in a spare phone and use it as a hotspot when needed.
    Billing cycle 7th
  • mhanburymhanbury FreedomPop Newbie Posts: 46
    Interesting. Now the freedompop free call and text app is supported in the UK I downloaded it onto my other mobile. Unfortunately it won't let me log in with my existing FreedomPop account email and password. It just flags invalid email. Just for a test I also tried to sign up with a new email that also failed with the same invalid email message. Anyone else have the same issue?
  • mhanburymhanbury FreedomPop Newbie Posts: 46
    Disappointing I tried the free call and text app now available from the UK play store on my none FreedomPop phone and Nexus 7 tablet. Tried to login with my existing FreedomPop email and receive an invalid email message. Also tried to sign up with a new account through the app and received the same invalid email message. Anyone else tried to use it?
  • 1stJohn Arkley1stJohn Arkley FreedomPop Newbie Posts: 392 ✭✭✭
    mhanbury said:

Interesting. Now the freedompop free call and text app is supported in the UK I downloaded it onto my other mobile. Unfortunately it won't let me log in with my existing FreedomPop account email and password. It just flags invalid email. Just for a test I also tried to sign up with a new email that also failed with the same invalid email message. Anyone else have the same issue?

Use your phone number to sign in.
    Billing cycle starts ~ 1st of month