Now that roaming charges have been abolished in EU, why don't Freedompop SIMs work outside UK?

SolomonSolomon FreedomPop Newbie Posts: 164
Roaming charges have now been finally abolished throughout the European Union. But my Freedompop UK SIM (not a Global Whatsapp SIM) does not appear to work in France.

Do I need to change any settings on my phone, or has Freedompop simply not caught up with the change?

Comments

• AlejandraGAlejandraG FreedomPop Newbie Posts: 763 admin
    Solomon said:

Roaming charges have now been finally abolished throughout the European Union. But my Freedompop UK SIM (not a Global Whatsapp SIM) does not appear to work in France.

Do I need to change any settings on my phone, or has Freedompop simply not caught up with the change?

The sim you have is a global or a UK sim?
  • SolomonSolomon FreedomPop Newbie Posts: 164
    I clearly stated it's a UK SIM not a Global SIM.
    Maybe your company is not abreast with the change in regulations.
    Solomon said:

I clearly stated it's a UK SIM not a Global SIM.
    Maybe your company is not abreast with the change in regulations.

The change in regulations, was a recent change and has yet to take effect in the type of sims you need from Freedomopop to be able to place calls while in France. At the time, we have received no updated on that, you will still need to have a global sim to use while in France or use the UK sim but on wifi
  • SolomonSolomon FreedomPop Newbie Posts: 164
    The change in regulations has been several years in the making (it was in fact delayed at the UK's insistence) and has been implemented, AFAIK, by every telco throughout the EU. Even tiny MVNOs.
    Any idea when FP will be up to date?
    In the meantime I am doing as you suggest, and using the Global SIM for data in France and wifi to place and receive calls with the FP UK SIM.
    Solomon said:

The change in regulations has been several years in the making (it was in fact delayed at the UK's insistence) and has been implemented, AFAIK, by every telco throughout the EU. Even tiny MVNOs.
    Any idea when FP will be up to date?
    In the meantime I am doing as you suggest, and using the Global SIM for data in France and wifi to place and receive calls with the FP UK SIM.

We prefer not to mislead you or provide you inaccurate information. We have not been provided with a date or an estimate of when this will change, we do apologize.
  • strangeonestrangeone FreedomPop Newbie Posts: 2
    Hi Alejandra G,

I wonder if you can help us clear this up once and for all, the EU regulation states that we should be able to roam like at home. This is, to the best of my understanding, law from which there are no exclusions.

So for clarity before we go to the regulator, can you please confirm that Freedom Pop does not comply with the law and has no current plan in place to do so, i.e. you are breaking the law.

Thanks

Hi Alejandra G,

I wonder if you can help us clear this up once and for all, the EU regulation states that we should be able to roam like at home. This is, to the best of my understanding, law from which there are no exclusions.

So for clarity before we go to the regulator, can you please confirm that Freedom Pop does not comply with the law and has no current plan in place to do so, i.e. you are breaking the law.

Thanks

It's not that we are not complying to the law. I'm certain that the change will come, at some point, but there is no specific date we can provide and would hate to mislead you or give you inaccurate information.
  • drgeoffdrgeoff FreedomPop Newbie Posts: 175 ✭✭✭

Hi Alejandra G,

Thanks

It's not that we are not complying to the law. I'm certain that the change will come, at some point, but there is no specific date we can provide and would hate to mislead you or give you inaccurate information.
    The law came into force on 15 June 2017. If FP did not by that date made any necessary changes, then it broke the law and continues to do so until it does make those changes. End of.
    drgeoff said:

Hi Alejandra G,

Thanks

The law came into force on 15 June 2017. If FP did not by that date made any necessary changes, then it broke the law and continues to do so until it does make those changes. End of.
    I believe there has been a bit of a misunderstanding. As you all state, the law is that companies can no longer charge for roaming, however, this does not mean that roaming is now available for every sim active in the European Union. Our UK sims carry of a local internet provider, making the UK sims incompatible to use outside of the UK. In the other handle, our global sims, have had free roaming already for a long time. It's the main appeal of that sim.
  • vreemtvreemt FreedomPop Newbie Posts: 1
    Our UK sims carry of a local internet provider, making the UK sims incompatible to use outside of the UK. In the other handle, our global sims, have had free roaming already for a long time. It's the main appeal of that sim.

What does "carry of a local internet provider" mean? 3G and 4G services are available, therefore they should by law (as noted by @strangeone) be available in the EU. Just because there doesn't seem to be a big fuss, doesn't make it any less illegal....

Any feedback would be appreciated.
    vreemt said:

Our UK sims carry of a local internet provider, making the UK sims incompatible to use outside of the UK. In the other handle, our global sims, have had free roaming already for a long time. It's the main appeal of that sim.

What does "carry of a local internet provider" mean? 3G and 4G services are available, therefore they should by law (as noted by @strangeone) be available in the EU. Just because there doesn't seem to be a big fuss, doesn't make it any less illegal....

Any feedback would be appreciated.
    I believe there is some clarification needed. Our UK sims carry of a local internet provider, Three. Our other type of sims, the global sims, already include a free roaming option.
    The UK sim is not compatible outside the UK, it's not that if you use it outside UK you are charged roaming and you shouldn't be, that SIM just does not have the capability to be able to use other towers outside the UK so you can use data.
    Instead, you will need to use a global sim, which have the capabiliity until UK sims, to be used outside UK.