Global Sim will stop working on the 20th October?!!!

Lee2 StoneLee2 Stone Posts: 16FreedomPop Newbie
I just received the email today regarding how my Global Sim will stop working on the 20th October and the various options available. Clearly three days notice of cancellation of service is outrageous but that's Freedompop for you. I have a couple of questions;
Will Freedompop be sending me a new sim (if I order one) before the 20th (i.e. in three days) so I at least maintain my service?
If I continue with Freedompop, will I retain my current 'Basic' free plan?. I suspect not so will we be offered the option of going on the Essential plan at £3.49 per month?
How do we contact support to Port out or migrate our existing number to the new sim that you send?
Regards,
Lee

Comments

• Tim BinghamTim Bingham Posts: 0FreedomPop Newbie
    Hi there,

Can someone help me please...

Just received my first email tonight (checked all my Freedompop emails and this is the first mention), that the Global SIM will be changing to a LTE SIM and my SIM will stop working in 3 days time! So it was a bit of a shock.

My current plan:
    Free plan
    Premium Voice
    Data Rollover

Some questions with the new LTE SIM:
    1) I have read that Premium Voice will not work with LTE SIM cards - can someone confirm please?
    2) I presume Data Rollover will work as normal with the new SIM?
    3) I currently have 11.17GBs left. Will this be transferred to the new LTE SIM if I retain the Data Rollover add-on?
    4) I have read the LTE SIM is to replace this Global SIM but also read the Free Plan has/will end. What is the current situation?

Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks,
    Tim

• SolomonSolomon Posts: 207FreedomPop Newbie
    edited October 2018 #3
    My Global SIM account was charged the usual renewal fee this morning.
    A few hours later I get an email saying the service is going to be switched off in two days time.
    What happened to 30 days notice?
    Not to mention 2 GB of roll-over data.
    I really think this is OTT on the part of Freedompop and a refund is called for.
    Post edited by Solomon on
  • SingingDwarfSingingDwarf Posts: 9FreedomPop Newbie
    I have just received an email which states that the FreedomPop Global SIM "will be replaced by with a newer faster nationwide LTE SIM" due to "continued performance issues with our carrier partner".

• AlejandraGAlejandraG Posts: 5,798FreedomPop Newbie admin

I just received the email today regarding how my Global Sim will stop working on the 20th October and the various options available. Clearly three days notice of cancellation of service is outrageous but that's Freedompop for you. I have a couple of questions;
    Will Freedompop be sending me a new sim (if I order one) before the 20th (i.e. in three days) so I at least maintain my service?
    If I continue with Freedompop, will I retain my current 'Basic' free plan?. I suspect not so will we be offered the option of going on the Essential plan at £3.49 per month?
    How do we contact support to Port out or migrate our existing number to the new sim that you send?
    Regards,
    Lee

Good day.
    As a UK Global Sim customer, once you are in possession of the new sim if you decide to order one, we will be able to refund shipping and activation costs.
    Shipping could take from 2 - 10 business days, so the earlier you place the order, the earliest it gets shipped.
    However, the LTE sims do not offer a free plan, you will need to choose at least the essential plan for £3.49 monthly.
    You can reach support back on this thread or a new one, once you get the sim, and we will help with the number transfer.

Hi there,

Can someone help me please...

Just received my first email tonight (checked all my Freedompop emails and this is the first mention), that the Global SIM will be changing to a LTE SIM and my SIM will stop working in 3 days time! So it was a bit of a shock.

My current plan:
    Free plan
    Premium Voice
    Data Rollover

Some questions with the new LTE SIM:
    1) I have read that Premium Voice will not work with LTE SIM cards - can someone confirm please?
    2) I presume Data Rollover will work as normal with the new SIM?
    3) I currently have 11.17GBs left. Will this be transferred to the new LTE SIM if I retain the Data Rollover add-on?
    4) I have read the LTE SIM is to replace this Global SIM but also read the Free Plan has/will end. What is the current situation?

Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks,
    Tim

Hi Tim, we will gladly answer your questions.

1) Premium voice does work on UK LTE sims. For more information, please visit this link:
    https://uk.support.freedompop.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3232/kw/premium

2 and 3) Correct, rollover is still an add-on service but if you add it to your new LTE account sim and you had accumulated data on your old global sim account, we can help you transfer it.

4) Even though we will take care of shipping and activation costs of the sim, if you decide to upgrade, you will no longer be able to be on a free data plan as this option was removed for the LTE sims. You will need to choose at least the essential plan for £3.49 monthly.
    Solomon said:

My Global SIM account was charged the usual renewal fee this morning.

A few hours later I get an email saying the service is going to be switched off in two days time.
    What happened to 30 days notice?
    Not to mention 2 GB of roll-over data.
    I really think this is OTT on the part of Freedompop and a refund is called for.

We certainly understand your frustration considering that the deactivation will take place soon. The 2 GB of data, if your device to order the sim, can be transferred to the new sim.
    Freedompop will be covering both activation and shipping fees you incur when ordering the LTE sim.

I have just received an email which states that the FreedomPop Global SIM "will be replaced by with a newer faster nationwide LTE SIM" due to "continued performance issues with our carrier partner".

That is correct, Global Sims are coming to an end by October 20th but you can order a new LTE sim, for which we will cover the shipping and activation charges. You can order it from uk.freedompop.com.
  • Mike MorrisMike Morris Posts: 5FreedomPop Newbie
    I have just received an email from FreedomPop advising me that due to a carrier issue, my SIM will stop working in 2 days time! Advising me if I want to stay I need to click a link and pay for a replacement Free** LTE SIM.

1. The link only takes me to the home page, not to anywhere to request the SIM?
    2. How the heck is it right that you only give 2 days notice of this change, which means I'll be without a usable phone in two days time, as no doubt the new SIM which I haven't been able to order yet won't be delivered and set up in 2 days? Btw I have checked my email account thoroughly, nothing other than this email a few hours ago.
    3. Why am I being charged a delivery fee, for something that's being forced on me with no notice?
    4. There is no information I can see either in the email or on the website that tells me if this new Free LTE SIM will give the same deal or a totally different deal to my existing SIM?

Please advise asap. Thanks.

My email here, is the same as my account btw.

I have just received an email from FreedomPop advising me that due to a carrier issue, my SIM will stop working in 2 days time! Advising me if I want to stay I need to click a link and pay for a replacement Free** LTE SIM.

2. How the heck is it right that you only give 2 days notice of this change, which means I'll be without a usable phone in two days time, as no doubt the new SIM which I haven't been able to order yet won't be delivered and set up in 2 days? Btw I have checked my email account thoroughly, nothing other than this email a few hours ago.
    3. Why am I being charged a delivery fee, for something that's being forced on me with no notice?
    4. There is no information I can see either in the email or on the website that tells me if this new Free LTE SIM will give the same deal or a totally different deal to my existing SIM?

Hello Mr. Morris.

1) Please visit the link provided while using an incognito or private window on your browser.
    It should redirect you to our online UK page, from which you can order a sim.

2) We certainly understand you need a working device before the sim arrives. Meanwhile, while you wait for the sim to arrive, you can use calls and texts over wifi as the sim will be deactivated but the account will not be canceled.

3) All customers will be charged an activation and shipping fee, however, they are both refundable. We are unable to order them for you, to avoid fees, because you are required to document an active and valid payment to be able to place the new order and get a sim.

4) We are afraid that LTE sims do not offer a free plan. This is the full list of our available talk, text and data plans in UK:

Essential 1GB Plan
    £3.49/month

Talk: 200 Minutess
    Text: 200 Messagess
    Data Limit: 1 GB
    Free Premium Voice Service

Premium 2GB Plan
    £11.99/month

Talk: Unlimited Minutess
    Text: Unlimited Messagess
    Data Limit: 2 GBs

Premium 4GB Plan
    £19.99/month

Talk: Unlimited Minutes
    Data Limit: 4 GBs

Hello Mr. Morris.

1) Please visit the link provided while using an incognito or private window on your browser.
    It should redirect you to our online UK page, from which you can order a sim.

2) We certainly understand you need a working device before the sim arrives. Meanwhile, while you wait for the sim to arrive, you can use calls and texts over wifi as the sim will be deactivated but the account will not be canceled.

3) All customers will be charged an activation and shipping fee, however, they are both refundable. We are unable to order them for you, to avoid fees, because you are required to document an active and valid payment to be able to place the new order and get a sim.

4) We are afraid that LTE sims do not offer a free plan. This is the full list of our available talk, text and data plans in UK:

Essential 1GB Plan
    £3.49/month

Talk: 200 Minutess
    Text: 200 Messagess
    Data Limit: 1 GB

Premium 2GB Plan
    £11.99/month

Talk: Unlimited Minutess
    Data Limit: 2 GBs

Premium 4GB Plan
    £19.99/month

Talk: Unlimited Minutes
    Data Limit: 4 GBs

Thanks for your reply. I've had a look at the LTE plan. Originally I had the Global SIM because 95% of my phone use is via WhatsApp and it was free on that. I'm assuming these new plans don't have anything like that for free WhatsApp use anymore? To say it was useful would be an understatement.

Also it says the essential plan has Premium Voice included, but I think if I read it correctly someone else further up on this thread said the UK LTE SIM doesn't have premium voice? Does it or doesn't it please? Also is it as simple as it sounds, just clearer sound? Shouldn't the sound be clear anyway? 🤔

As the link in the email to order the new SIM only takes you to the usual homepage and won't let you order any new SIM, or see any details. I have had to create a new account with a different email address, will this be okay and will I still be able to port my number to the new SIM? (Btw I've tried clearing the cache, using different browsers etc to no avail. Only option to see the new SIM details was to create a new account using incognito tab.)

Would it be at all possible to be told what has actually gone on with this whole situation that we got less than 3 days notice of our service being switched off? The whole thing seems a bit of a disorganised shambles. No clear explanation of why this has all happened.

Regards,

Mike.

Thanks for your reply. I've had a look at the LTE plan. Originally I had the Global SIM because 95% of my phone use is via WhatsApp and it was free on that. I'm assuming these new plans don't have anything like that for free WhatsApp use anymore? To say it was useful would be an understatement.

Also it says the essential plan has Premium Voice included, but I think if I read it correctly someone else further up on this thread said the UK LTE SIM doesn't have premium voice? Does it or doesn't it please? Also is it as simple as it sounds, just clearer sound? Shouldn't the sound be clear anyway? 🤔

As the link in the email to order the new SIM only takes you to the usual homepage and won't let you order any new SIM, or see any details. I have had to create a new account with a different email address, will this be okay and will I still be able to port my number to the new SIM? (Btw I've tried clearing the cache, using different browsers etc to no avail. Only option to see the new SIM details was to create a new account using incognito tab.)

Regards,

Mike.

Hi Mike.
    That is correct, the UK LTE sims do not offer unlimited WhatsApp as the Global sims did we are afraid.

To make it clear, YES, LTE sims offer Premium Voice as part of the paid essential plan or higher plans. And even though calls should be clear and was as long as you have good reception, in weak signal areas, PV allows you to use a cellular network connection.

To place the order, you need request a new LTE sim as if it's a new order and account, which is why the link on the notification redirects you to uk.freedompop.com home page and the purpose behind using an incognito window as well as a different email to place the order is to prevent that your current login links to the FP page.

You had to open that page while on a private or incognito window on a PC, to place the order. using the "Check Availability Now" green button on the screen.

If you already did and the new sim is coming, we will help you transfer your old number to this new account, just let us know once you receive it.
    The irony is that the Global SIM has been working fine in France for the last few months. I spend a significant amount of time there so the Global SIM comes in useful.
    Solomon said:

The irony is that the Global SIM has been working fine in France for the last few months. I spend a significant amount of time there so the Global SIM comes in useful.

We certainly understand that as someone who spents a significant amount of time in France, the deactivation of the global plan will be inconvenient to you, but remember the LTE sims can be used over wifi while outside the UK.
    Hello,
    I need to know what happens to the Global SIM account if I don't port it to the new LTE pack, as that doesn't correspond to my needs (mainly, international data). I can still make calls via wifi. But how long for? Do I need to cancel the account manually, or does that happen automatically, presumably at the end of the billing cycle.
  • Lee2 StoneLee2 Stone Posts: 16FreedomPop Newbie
    The 20th October came and went and my Globalsim is still working. Will the sim stop working at the end of the current billing cycle?
    Solomon said:

Hello,
    I need to know what happens to the Global SIM account if I don't port it to the new LTE pack, as that doesn't correspond to my needs (mainly, international data). I can still make calls via wifi. But how long for? Do I need to cancel the account manually, or does that happen automatically, presumably at the end of the billing cycle.

The 20th October came and went and my Globalsim is still working. Will the sim stop working at the end of the current billing cycle?

If the cancellation for your accounts was not immediate, it's expected to be done by the system eventually. The purpose behind this is to give customers that are still unaware or that have not ported out, some more days before the account or line is deactivated.
    Hi I have now received my replacement SIM in the post, how do I go about using it with my existing phone number, and how do I arrange a refund of the £11.46 charged?

I want to change to the essential plan which is £3.49 per month I think. I rarely use my phone in the conventional way, rarely call or text, 95% of my usage was via WhatsApp and most of that was probably over WiFi. I'm assuming the essential plan is best suited for me?

Regards,

Mike.

Hi I have now received my replacement SIM in the post, how do I go about using it with my existing phone number, and how do I arrange a refund of the £11.46 charged?

I want to change to the essential plan which is £3.49 per month I think. I rarely use my phone in the conventional way, rarely call or text, 95% of my usage was via WhatsApp and most of that was probably over WiFi. I'm assuming the essential plan is best suited for me?

Regards,

Mike.

We are sorry for the late reply Mike. Please confirm the full ICCID number on the back of the sim and the phone number you need us to transfer to it.
    Unfortunately none of the plans for this LTE sims include WhatsApp, however, if you use it over Wifi anyway, you can go for the least expensive option which would be the Essential plan.
  • rmadrid25rmadrid25 Posts: 1FreedomPop Newbie
    I tried to use my Global Whatsapp SIM, but it has been deactivated.
    I would like to transfer it to the new SIM, to the Essential plan.

Looking at this thread, I new to use the link on the email that you sent and I can ask for a refund for both the shipping and activation, right?
    I do not mind transfering the old number, but I do want the saved 3GB data I had with the rollover.

Question: I would need to re activate the rollover on the new SIM? If I do not activate it, the data will dissapear after a month?
    rmadrid25 said:

I tried to use my Global Whatsapp SIM, but it has been deactivated.
    I would like to transfer it to the new SIM, to the Essential plan.

Looking at this thread, I new to use the link on the email that you sent and I can ask for a refund for both the shipping and activation, right?
    I do not mind transfering the old number, but I do want the saved 3GB data I had with the rollover.

Question: I would need to re activate the rollover on the new SIM? If I do not activate it, the data will dissapear after a month?

Good day! Once SIM is received, you need to contact us so we migrate your phone number to this new SIM. We will also credit you back purchase amount, you only have to pay for shipping fee.

If you do not upgrade, the data will be lost but if you transfer the credit and add rollover to the new sim account, we can transfer the 3GB credit.