It's all about up-selling

3rd start - Kelvin Hill3rd start - Kelvin Hill Posts: 221FreedomPop Newbie, UK Pro ✭✭✭
I've been dutifully feeding back my findings to the support/feedback team on [email protected] Interestingly, the team has responded to the last three pieces of feedback in a way that doesn't really answer or address what I have fed back. That suggests they either don't fully understand English or they don't want to address the issue (because they must adhere to company dogma.)

Here's an example:

WHAT I WROTE:
"It is clear in your documentation that the Basic 200 package has a fixed call and messages allowance, and that if I use it up I must wait until the next billing cycle to get more. To me, that doesn't make complete commercial sense, and I believe you are missing out on a potential revenue stream. Given that it is possible to purchase additional data without limit, it doesn't take a very clever person to work out that it is possible to continue making calls to the public telephone network using something like Skype Out via the data connection for a modest charge. The same goes for text messages, e.g., using Google Hangouts to deliver a kosher SMS message. Why let a third-party company make money when FP could offer to sell people extra minutes and texts if they run out? I know the idea is to get people to consider upgrading their plans, but by sticking to your guns you will be missing out on revenue from people who only need a few more minutes and/or texts to tide them over until the next billing cycle begins."

HOW THEY REPLIED:
"We appreciate your feedback and I know that somehow it is confusing to your end. We apologize for any inconvenience. Just to share, FreedomPop gives 100% FREE service and that is with 200 minutes of voice, 200 texts and 200 MB of data. Unlike with other service provider, we are offering data roaming and long distance as well, without charging you. Also, using Skype or any other social media app, that you need to have the premium package that they have, for you to be able to call, with FreedomPop, you can enjoy an unlimited call and text plus 2 GB of data for only for only £11.99."

Is it me, or did they fail to understand my point? I suspect English isn't their first language. Either that or they were typing at 200 words per minute and didn't proof read before hitting the Send button. Lolz.
Monthly billing cycle starts on day 3

Comments

• cagstercagster Posts: 169FreedomPop Newbie ✭✭✭
    your right, I often find with customer services and support that it's best to write what your trying to express in as few words as possible.
    edited October 2015 #4
    they first have to build up a client base and then try and sell extras like you said, I'm sure they know what they are doing and don't need our business plans (I'm being sarky to myself here and no one else :-)) but 3 is IMO very competitive (there cheap, give free data each £5 topup and allow the free data to be used abroad too, I used it in USA no charges) so it will not be as easy and quick to build the customer base as it was when for example GIF GAFFstarted up
  • 3rd start - Kelvin Hill3rd start - Kelvin Hill Posts: 221FreedomPop Newbie, UK Pro ✭✭✭
    My family of six all had Three network SIMs using its 3-2-1 PAYG plan (3p/min calls, 2p/text, 1p/MB). FreedomPop trumps that for low-usage customers.

On the other hand, I don't believe in getting something for nothing, so it doesn't sit well with me to stay with the Basic 200 package. After all, FP's service will be withdrawn unless at least 50% opt for some chargeable services. Hmm...tricky. Maybe we will opt for the 99p rollover or whatever for a while and see how we get on. I'm a little concerned about feedback on the Premium Voice option.
  • Fabrizio MartellucciFabrizio Martellucci Posts: 657FreedomPop Newbie, UK Pro ✭✭✭✭
    My thought exactly as £1.49 for rollover won't break the bank and avoid going through the autotopup charge if I were to need data.
    Billing cycle 7th
  • 3rd start - Kelvin Hill3rd start - Kelvin Hill Posts: 221FreedomPop Newbie, UK Pro ✭✭✭
    Interestingly, although my FP-friend-data allowance has topped out at the allowed maximum of 200MB, my current friend data pool has reached 8.8GB. In reality, the only "friends" likely to share data with me will be my family, but I'm grateful for the friend-fodder that will keep my friend-data allowance sitting at 200MB each month. IMO, 400MB (200MB basic + 200MB friend) of data will be plenty for me on a monthly basis. Rolling it over is likely to see me racking up a huge amount. I may then have to gift it to all and sundry just to get rid of it. Either that, or start streaming videos to my phone while out and about.
  • 1stJohn Arkley1stJohn Arkley Posts: 392FreedomPop Newbie ✭✭✭
    edited October 2015 #8
    Maybe at the end of our cycle we start a thread in the UK group here to share? Its looking like I'll have a lad left and I'm happy to let some of you have the use of it. I have over 600mb now and I'm nearly 2 weeks in.
    Billing cycle starts ~ 1st of month
  • S MPS MP Posts: 350FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Expert ✭✭✭
    Hi There!

Honestly I agree re: the talk/text...it's the data that matters. Afterall, if you run out of data that's it for your talk/text even if you have any left.

Also, I have the roll over plan and have racked up just over 8GB of data. (Not sure what they limit you guys to for total roll over?)

When we go on vacations instead of paying the fee for WIFI in the hotel I use my accumulated data.

I also like knowing it's there in case we get a big storm (Snow in my case) and lose our cable connection/home WIFI. It's happened in the past, so all it takes is one good whopper of a storm and we're in the dark. This way, at least...It doesn't leave me with no access to the internet.

Not sure if those things are an issue up/over there, but I like having a back up plan and the convenience of not worrying at all about how much I'm using when travelling.

Also, I have 2 teenagers at home and they LOVE to use data. They each have roll-over as well on their lines and I think they usually have around 2-3GB floating about, but if they were to get close I'd of course throw them some.

Actually, I have to give some to my spouse regularly! (No roll-over on that account, although we do have Premium Voice.) So it comes in handy for me at least.
    I'm not an employee...only a volunteer. If you need official assistance:

Freedompop Customer Service numbers-(888) 743-8107---(888) 906-3184---855) 703-5785---(888) 673-8518---888) 915-2647--(888) 731-1555--(888) 701-1353, Monday-Friday 8am-8pm PDT.
    @S MP
    S MP said:

...it's the data that matters. Afterall, if you run out of data that's it for your talk/text even if you have any left.

Good news! I believe that is incorrect. Although everything is going via the data connection, FP texts and messages aren't metered against your FP data allowance. You can check this by resetting your phone's internal data usage monitoring and then by making a couple of FP calls or texts (while your WiFi is switched off). Your phone should register the data usage, but your FP data allowance won't be affected. Only your call allowance will show the reduction (unless you are me and calling an FP friend, in which case your call, text, and data allowance remains unchanged). Yay!

In short, FP uses your data connection for everything (Premium Voice excluded), but only web-connected apps hit your allowance, not FP calls nor FP texts.
    edited October 2015 #11
    John, im in same position as you, happy to share towards end of cycle. Will set up a thread later, probably in UK group
  • S MPS MP Posts: 350FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Expert ✭✭✭

@S MP

S MP said:

...it's the data that matters. Afterall, if you run out of data that's it for your talk/text even if you have any left.

Good news! I believe that is incorrect. Although everything is going via the data connection, FP texts and messages aren't metered against your FP data allowance. You can check this by resetting your phone's internal data usage monitoring and then by making a couple of FP calls or texts (while your WiFi is switched off). Your phone should register the data usage, but your FP data allowance won't be affected. Only your call allowance will show the reduction (unless you are me and calling an FP friend, in which case your call, text, and data allowance remains unchanged). Yay!

In short, FP uses your data connection for everything (Premium Voice excluded), but only web-connected apps hit your allowance, not FP calls nor FP texts.
    You're right about that, with that scenario.

I guess I wasn't very clear...

Here's an example of what I meant. Dang this whole having to use language stuff. I'm not very good at that. Sorry!

On one of our phones, I have premium voice, and 200 voice/ 500 texts. I also have the 200Mb plan.

Let's say that I am half way through the month and I have 100 voice/250 texts left, but I've used up my data looking at cute girls/guys on snapchat. (Never...but just for my hypothetical.)

So...now I try to make a phone call.

It doesn't work.

Even though I still have texts and voice "minutes" left...because I've run out of data (and my account has auto-top up disabled) the account automatically suspends so that I don't go "over" my data.

At least...that's how it has to work in the US since we don't have the separate calling via the sim. It's sort of an all or nothing situation. Maybe it will work differently over there?
    I'm not an employee...only a volunteer. If you need official assistance:

Freedompop Customer Service numbers-(888) 743-8107---(888) 906-3184---855) 703-5785---(888) 673-8518---888) 915-2647--(888) 731-1555--(888) 701-1353, Monday-Friday 8am-8pm PDT.
    @S MP . Ah...gotcha! I've seen the light. So the account gets suspended until the next billing cycle if you empty your data allowance. Interesting. I wonder if the same happens with calls and messages--if it it's a case of 'one out, all out.'

So, the moral of the story is to stop using your data if you're almost out. Don't keep going until your account is suspended. If you keep at least 1MB of data and 1 minute of calls and 1 free text in your allowance you can keep using whatever of the three you haven't yet used. That totally makes sense. Thank you for sharing! :)
  • Fabrizio MartellucciFabrizio Martellucci Posts: 657FreedomPop Newbie, UK Pro ✭✭✭✭
    You need to keep more than 1mb as trigger for autotopup is 180mb but to be safe I would put a warning at 170mb with any data usage app you might be using !
    Billing cycle 7th
  • 1stJohn Arkley1stJohn Arkley Posts: 392FreedomPop Newbie ✭✭✭
    But the top up trigger isn't necessarily the cut off point, is it?
    I guess well find out in a couple of weeks.
    Billing cycle starts ~ 1st of month
    It is if they can't charge you the fiver it gets suspended. If your calls and texts run out however and you still have data you can carry on using it.
    Billing cycle 7th
    And if your account is suspended and someone gifts you what happens ?
  • Rich Sias (16th)Rich Sias (16th) Posts: 3,351FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Master, FreedomPop Expert ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2015 #18
    If the shortage is 'looming' in the three hour delay but not yet accounted for, then the gifting has worked for me just fine. The trick is to have a friend who is quick and responsive. I've accepted a request for a gift from me to others up to several weeks after it was made.
    Ideal is have 2-7 FP accounts and gift from one to another for the quickest response.
    Gifting AFTER suspension doesn't cure.
    However, I have had suspensions occur as much as 18 hours AFTER I did the usage.
    Be my Valentine ZTE, Victory, LG Volt, 803S, & 4 SIMs
    Good to know Rich for the occasional oversight and having fp friends who are quick off the mark :)
    Billing cycle 7th
  • simonjcomptonsimonjcompton Posts: 21FreedomPop Newbie
    John. said:

Maybe at the end of our cycle we start a thread in the UK group here to share? Its looking like I'll have a lad left and I'm happy to let some of you have the use of it. I have over 600mb now and I'm nearly 2 weeks in.

I totally agree why is there no Just UK friends group ? could it be started ?