When will we be able to port into FreedomPop UK?

elucidateelucidate Posts: 3FreedomPop Newbie
So I really want to start using FP as my main mobile line but I'd ideally want to transfer my number across to FP rather than telling everyone I have a new number.

What I want to know is whether FreedomPop have any serious plans as to implement number porting in the UK and, if so, approximately when they plan to do this.

Depending on the timeframe, I would decide whether to wait it out or announce my new number.

Comments

• Chris PritchardChris Pritchard Posts: 90FreedomPop Newbie ✭✭✭
    elucidate said:

So I really want to start using FP as my main mobile line but I'd ideally want to transfer my number across to FP rather than telling everyone I have a new number.

What I want to know is whether FreedomPop have any serious plans as to implement number porting in the UK and, if so, approximately when they plan to do this.

Depending on the timeframe, I would decide whether to wait it out or announce my new number.

Might not be a wise choice to port over to a Network that is only in Alpha stage (Meaning the official launch will most likley be towards Chrmistmas/New Year). I would wait for the full launch before making any major change like number porting.
    FreedomPop Alpha is there just to 'test' the service and is not a Full product yet.
    #TalkIsCheapUK
  • Rich Sias (16th)Rich Sias (16th) Posts: 3,333FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Master, FreedomPop Expert ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here in USA we have company called bandwidth.com that processes a lot of ports for many different companies including freedompop.com. They also have a front end company, ring.to that is free to port in and your inport number is free to port out. You can get a free number assigned but porting that out is $5.
    ring.to will forward calls from the number you 'parked' with them to 1 to 4 other numbers. It works so well, I'm not going to port my fav numbers anymore. They even have a voicemail that works for free on that 'parked' number too.
    For you in UK, is there a comparable company that can forward calls to other numbers without incurring lots of charges ? If so, port to them and use that number for up to 4 cell phones. Never need to inform others your number changed, its always fixed up in the forwarding.
    Be my Valentine ZTE, Victory, LG Volt, 803S, & 4 SIMs
  • Chris PritchardChris Pritchard Posts: 90FreedomPop Newbie ✭✭✭

For you in UK, is there a comparable company that can forward calls to other numbers without incurring lots of charges ? If so, port to them and use that number for up to 4 cell phones. Never need to inform others your number changed, its always fixed up in the forwarding.

Most UK mobile company's charge you a per min call charge to forward calls - EE's latest Contract plan's allow you to forward & the call come's out of allowance. Please check with O2/Three/Vodafone etc... if they charge.
    There is no Call forwarding company in the UK like the US have. Number porting is also done in a much different way
    Normal process would be for example:
    1) Contact EE/Three/O2 to obtain a PAC code - This will be given only if you meet the networks criteria for number porting (some networks require a min of 3 months service)
    2) Contact the new network & provide them with the PAC code
    3) The New network then requests the number be ported from the Old network - This can take 72 working hours
    #TalkIsCheapUK
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12
    edited October 2015 #5
    Hey guys,

We currently do not support porting-in, and currently have no timetable set to when we may support the feature. I'm sorry about the delay in reply :3
  • elucidateelucidate Posts: 3FreedomPop Newbie
    Thanks for the replies.

Given that the website mentions that a porting in feature is coming "soon", I would have thought you'd have some sort of rough timeframe to get it implemented in,

I suppose what I'm really interested in is whether it would be technically possible to port in or not, given the fact that the number given to you by FreedomPop is actually a virtual VoIP number and not the actual number of the SIM. Has anyone got any insight into this?
  • Fabrizio MartellucciFabrizio Martellucci Posts: 657FreedomPop Newbie, UK Pro ✭✭✭✭
    elucidate said:

Thanks for the replies.

Given that the website mentions that a porting in feature is coming "soon", I would have thought you'd have some sort of rough timeframe to get it implemented in,

I suppose what I'm really interested in is whether it would be technically possible to port in or not, given the fact that the number given to you by FreedomPop is actually a virtual VoIP number and not the actual number of the SIM. Has anyone got any insight into this?

It's still a 07 mobile number so probably they need to sign up to whoever manages the PAC code system etc... So they put that on the back burner to avoid extra 'headaches' for the time being.
    Billing cycle 7th
  • Paul McGurkPaul McGurk Posts: 2FreedomPop Newbie
    Porting numbers in may not be as straight forward as is normal here in the UK. Your official FP number is actually a virtual number i.e it is not the actual sim card number hence the sims having different numbers on them from the FP 'mobile' number.
  • simonjcomptonsimonjcompton Posts: 21FreedomPop Newbie
    OK, my mobile contract is up very soon.... I would rather not lose my number so can i port it to somewhere till freedom pop sort out porting ?
  • Rich Sias (16th)Rich Sias (16th) Posts: 3,333FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Master, FreedomPop Expert ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2015 #10
    In States there is ring.to that can accept a transfer at $0 charge. Porting out that same no. is $0. In meanwhile can use it as forwarding number.

I see you are in UK. So this is probably a bit useless to you. With some searching and maybe help from others, there might be something similar across the 'pond'.

Alternate: some companies allow multiple numbers ported in. So if you're desperate to keep that number at all costs, then pay port in and port out from that service that allows extra numbers in with existing account.
    Be my Valentine ZTE, Victory, LG Volt, 803S, & 4 SIMs
  • Fabrizio MartellucciFabrizio Martellucci Posts: 657FreedomPop Newbie, UK Pro ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2015 #11
    I discovered an app called Swytch.com and they offer you a mobile number which is virtual but you can apparently port in existing mobile phones.

They give you a number for six month for free as they're just starting but to keep the number going you need to pay either monthly, six month or yearly ( £24.99 ) after the six months are up. So i don't know if porting your number might replace the number given and then you have it for six months as a virtual number for free.

You need to make enquiries with them. It's a nifty service which allows you to have up to 5 virtual mobile numbers, you can let them lapse by the way so it's useful for Ebay or simply for personal safety if you want to give out a number to people you're not sure about such as dating online etc...

EDIT: forget my suggestion as although the porting is possible they haven't enabled it yet as they're just starting, they want their service to be up and running properly before accepting incoming PAC code requests which is fair enough. I got a really nice email from their support centre and they seem to be on the ball even if they've just started.
    Post edited by Fabrizio Martellucci on
    Billing cycle 7th
  • SolomonSolomon Posts: 208FreedomPop Newbie
    Another solution would be to port your number to a cheapo PAYG operator and use that for incoming calls with a dual SIM phone. That would cost you peanuts - £5 should last well over a year, just remember to make an outgoing call or text every couple of months to keep the account alive. You will need to deactivate the caller identity display, or your contacts will tend to reply to your FP number.