Why have I been charged?

Steve MyringSteve Myring Posts: 1FreedomPop Newbie
I've noticed £2.99 come out of my bank, why is this when my plan says £0.00

Answers

• autotraautotra Posts: 7FreedomPop Newbie
    I've just been charged £10 for data on a SIM that I'm not using. The SIM is a spare, I ordered it by accident. It was downgraded to the free plan and not in a working device. Today I got emails saying that the data was running out, then 2 charges of £5. I don't understand how this could happen when the sim was not being used. I immediately turned off the Auto Top-up option in Billing>Billing Settings. I thought that I had already done this on all my Freedompop accounts. In any case I wasn't even using the SIM. I have asked Support to investigate and give me a refund.
  • JJFreedomJJFreedom Posts: 420FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Expert, FP Flyer, SD Flyers ✭✭✭
    @autotra - By turning off Auto Top-Up you allow freedompop to put £5 credit on your account. This £5 Credit is not free, and is used to prevent fraud and network abuse. the £5 is a one-time charge and shouldn't happen again.

@Steve Myring - log into your FreedomPop account and make sure you're not subscribed to any services. If you are, you can downgrade them.
    I usually respond within 24 hours. If you need help, feel free to ask.

Also, to tag me directly, write @JJFreedom. - this way I will know when you are talking to me.
  • Davey (3rd)Davey (3rd) Posts: 132FreedomPop Newbie
    JJFreedom said:

@autotra - By turning off Auto Top-Up you allow freedompop to put £5 credit on your account. This £5 Credit is not free, and is used to prevent **** and network abuse. the £5 is a one-time charge and shouldn't happen again.

Hi @JJFreedom I thought that by turning off auto top-up, when my data is running low then the account gets frozen until the next cycle, is this not the case?

Also if I should use more than my allotted data, for example in a single large download, then I would be charged according to the pay as you go rates, and FP would charge for the amount used, has this changed?

I understand that in the US there is a charge for turning off auto top-up, is this now the case in the UK? I have four UK accounts all with auto top-up turned off and have not been charged a penny.

• JJFreedomJJFreedom Posts: 420FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Expert, FP Flyer, SD Flyers ✭✭✭
    @Davey (3rd) - That is true. To my knowledge, you get charged a one-time £5 charge for turning off Auto Top-Up. What this charge does is it turns off Auto Top-Up. Therefore, when you hit near your overage, your account will cut off data usage for the remainder of the billing cycle.

If Top-Up is enabled, you shouldn't be charged, your data will just stop working. If it is not enabled, you will be charged per MB. I think the standard rate is £0.02/MB

@Ali please verify what I said is correct ^ - I'm not 100% sure this is accurate for UK, but I think it is.
    I usually respond within 24 hours. If you need help, feel free to ask.

Also, to tag me directly, write @JJFreedom. - this way I will know when you are talking to me.
  • Ali Ali Posts: 6,735FreedomPop Master, Test Role, iOS Master ✭✭✭✭✭
    @JJFreedom is correct :)
  • sushdsushd Posts: 60FreedomPop Newbie
    edited August 2016 #7

@JJFreedom @Ali

When one turns off Auto top-up, there is no message to inform the customer that he will be charged £5 (one off) for disabling top-up.

When turning off auto top-up, only the following message is displayed -
    "By disabling this feature, you may experience interruption of service should you approach your Data Capacity limit. Also, actual data usage may be delayed up to 3 hours so manage your data accordingly."

I am unable to find anything mentioned to the effect in the FreedomPop T&Cs, including the Service Plan, Equipment, and Payment Terms.

So I am wondering where is this £5 charge mentioned?

Post edited by sushd on
  • Davey (3rd)Davey (3rd) Posts: 132FreedomPop Newbie
    edited August 2016 #8
    The only mention of auto top-up in the UK T&C's that I can find tells you what happens if you have auto top-up turned on and nothing about if its turned off.
    From the Uk T&C's...
    "FreedomPop uses an 'Automatic Top-Up' feature to ensure you are never left without broadband access when you exceed your paid-for Monthly Plan limits. We will notify you when you have exceeded your subscribed Monthly Plan limits as soon as reasonably practicable and give you an option to opt in or out of the automatic top-up. The default top-up amount is £5.00. We may allow you to select a greater top-up dollar amount by using the My Account feature on our Site (or other feature that we may make available). In any billing month that your usage is within 20mb of your Monthly Plan broadband data allotment limit, your FreedomPop Account will be charged the automatic top-up amount using the registered payment method associated with your FreedomPop Account. As your broadband data use exceeds the broadband data allotment of your Monthly Plan, an amount equal to your total additional usage multiplied by the additional cost per megabyte as defined by your Monthly Plan, will be deducted from your FreedomPop Credit Account balance. When your FreedomPop Credit Account balance falls below £1.00, your registered payment method will be charged the applicable Automatic Top-Up amount as described above."
    JJFreedom said:

If Top-Up is enabled, you shouldn't be charged, your data will just stop working. If it is not enabled, you will be charged per MB. I think the standard rate is £0.02/MB

according to UK support pages cost per mb is 1.5p if you're on the free plan and 1p per mb on a paid plan.

Also from Uk support pages ....
    "You can enable or disable data overage at any time. Having Automatic Top-up enabled ensures that your service is not interrupted. This will allow pay-as-you-go charges when you approach 20MB of your data threshold.

Having this feature disabled will interrupt your service and suspend your account when your approach your data threshold, as to not incur any overage charges.

You can edit these settings by navigating to the Billing Settings menu. To disable Automatic Top-up, tap "Edit" and make sure to uncheck the box and save your changes."

no mention of any charge for disabling auto top-up

and this also from support...
    "FreedomPop uses Automatic Top-up to ensure you are never left without internet access when you exceed your monthly data allotment. The default top-up amount is £5. In any month your usage is within 20MB of your monthly plan capacity limit, or in which your account balance falls below £1, your account will be charged the automatic top-up amount using the primary payment method on your account.
    When you disable the Automatic Top-Up feature your account will be suspended when you reach the top-up threshold. However, if you exceed your free data allotment in a single session, your account may switch to pay-as-you-go mode.

I have another SIM on my account which is in the ipad my son is using while he is in hospital. He has access to wifi at the hospital but has just noticed that he has lost Freedompop services. I am sure that the SIM in the ipad is not the SIM that Freedompop says used all that data. It's a different telephone number. I will have to see what support says. Is the data allowance ber SIM or per account?
    I was charge £5 twice before turning off auto top-up. I and sure that I turned it off on my other SIM without being charged. So fat the £10 that I've been charged for data on 28 August is the only payment taken by Freedompop and it was for a SIM that I am not using.
    I have been refunded - two £5 refunds.

Freedompop seems to have have mixed up the two sims on my account. SIM A is in the ipad and auto top-up was off. SIM B is not in use but auto top-up was on. Both are on the same Freedompop account and on the free Basic package with 200mb data allowance. The ipad downloaded a video and went over the 200mb allowance even though the auto top-up was off. This triggered warning messages on the account for bothe SIM A and SIM B plus two £5 top-up charges on SIM B. Warning emails were sent quoting SIM B's phone number. Auto top-up was turned on for SIM B. After the download stoped on SIM A no data allowance remains on SIM B but full 200Mb is on SIM A. I think that this is some sort of programming error in the Freedompop system.

Now I'm not sure how Freedompop is supposed to work when I have more that one SIM in the account. Is there one allowance of data/text/calls per account or is it per SIM?

There is no fee for turning auto-top off in the UK. The reason that I turn off auto top-up is to avoid getting charged for an large unplanned data download - as just happened. The iPad's wifi connection seems to have been lost and mobile data was not disabled for Dailymotion (this seems to be the default when installing an app in an iPad). As I do not make a lot of call or texts I can live without a mobile data allowance if it gets used up. I usually have access to wifi and when travelling a mifi. Phone and text will still work over wifi (or a mifi) even if the Freedompop mobile data allowance is used up. I get a very good deal on data on the mifi and I can share this with other gadgets.
    I may be wrong about the £5 charge for turning auto top-up off. One of my £5 charges was for a top-up and the other probably a £5 advance top-up fee for turning auto top-up off.

I have noticed and reported unexpected behavior when there are multiple SIMs on an account. When the Freedompop app starts up it appears to register the SIM with Freedompop and then assigns the phone number. In my case it was not getting the correct phone number that I chose for the SIM. It seems that Freedompop was choosing the phone number for the other SIM on my account as this was not active/logged out. The work around is to log out of Freedompop app and then log in using the correct phone number and not your account's email address. Freedompop confirmed that when there are multiple SIMs in the account each phone number has its own Plan but if the number does not stay with the SIM then there could be a problem. Or maybe this is a useful feature - until it gets fixed.
    Both £5 charges seem to have been for turning auto top up off. The refunds may have been because I had turned auto top up off previously when there was not a fee. I did get a snall charge for the data use at the end of the billing cycle.