Why doesn't Freedompop offer a device that will convert an LTE signal to a WIMAX signal?

Have _NINE_ Wimax Hubs C.Have _NINE_ Wimax Hubs C. Posts: 201FreedomPop Newbie
Why doesn't Freedompop offer a device that will convert an LTE signal to a WIMAX signal?
Such a device would solve the WIMAX problem.

Comments

• Jean MillerJean Miller Posts: 140FreedomPop Newbie
    Why have an extra device when there are already far better LTE devices? That's doesn't even make sense anyway. Why would you even want to do that? They could just offer cheap LTE hotspots to replace the outdated WiMAX device. Sprint never should have gambled with WiMAX anyway. The U.S. should for it's own standardize the cellular technology used here like Europe does so you buy your phones/devices yourself and just buy a SIM card with a plan. It would be so much simpler and cheaper for all involved. Cellular company wouldn't have to subsidize expensive phones and phone manufacturers would have to make expensive phone because consumers would demand cheaper ones. And best of consumers could then tailor their plans to fit their needs. Also time limits on while services (talk/text/data) have to be use by should outlawed as theft.
    I like me deals and free stuff. Thx, peeps
  • Have _NINE_ Wimax Hubs C.Have _NINE_ Wimax Hubs C. Posts: 201FreedomPop Newbie
    We have numerous Freedompop Wimax modems. We have no access to Wifi.
  • WeAreNotAloneWeAreNotAlone Posts: 61FreedomPop Newbie

-snip-The U.S. should for it's own standardize the cellular technology used here like Europe does so you buy your phones/devices yourself and just buy a SIM card with a plan. It would be so much simpler and cheaper for all involved. Cellular company wouldn't have to subsidize expensive phones and phone manufacturers would have to make expensive phone because consumers would demand cheaper ones. And best of consumers could then tailor their plans to fit their needs. Also time limits on while services (talk/text/data) have to be use by should outlawed as theft.

As you touched on in the USA having part of them running GSM and part running CDMA is NOT consumer friendly beyond maybe pricing wars between the two systems. This said if ALL carriers in the US shared air-time on the towers it would be like two, three, four persons chipping in for say a riding lawn mower..

By themselves each could only afford the el-cheap-o version, with them all chipping in on the cost they could buy a really nice riding lawner.

What should be required when there are (2) competing systems is that the phones themselves have the radios for both systems and should be IDENTICAL.
    (Manufacturer makes 1 version.)

Part 1 of 2
  • WeAreNotAloneWeAreNotAlone Posts: 61FreedomPop Newbie
    Part 2 of 2:
    While it would add a little to the cost initially, having (1) version of each model would lead to decreased pricing per unit, greatly decomplicate the distribution of hardware. It would also help "Speed up" resolving "problems" as the product line(s) would be less fragmented.

Imagine you have 10 troubleshooters, right now when there is a problem with a device... the device that REALLY needs the best people on the project may not get the needed manpower... If devices had the SAME hardware- while there would be differences in how a problem manifested itself you could put all 10 troubleshooters on that model, No longer would the engineers be split, or datebases be separate as much as it is now.

Anyhow GSM is much more consumer friendly than CDMA, than CDMA- LTE Phones in which the 4G LTE SIM card is permanently married to the device.

CDMA phones remind me of the phones way back in the bag phone days... in which if you dropped the device and damaged it you were at the mercy of that (1) carrier.
    Customer: How will it cost to fix /replace?
    Carrier: Well we have to "program" the phone and we are the ONLY source for devices... Translation= Expect to pay full price or more!

GSM Phones on the other hand, you drop the phone... take the GSM SIM out and pop it in a spare and you are back up and running within 30 seconds.

Travel to other countries? Concerned about getting hit with a $9,000 phone bill while overseas?
    Want a "local" phone number while traveling?
    Buy a pre-paid GSM SIM card and swap it out with the primary home country GSM SIM card.

In short for those that like to change phones, buy used phones, travel having the ability to swap the GSM SIM between phones at will= Priceless

(I had to swap GSM SIM between two phones just last week due to a power outage, if the phones were not GSM this would have not be possible.)

• limeylimey Posts: 674FreedomPop Newbie ✭✭✭
    @D.2 C. I suspect that part of the reason such WIMAX->LTE devices don't appear to have been marketed, is that the radio spectrum/bandwidth currently used by WIMAX is already earmarked for use with LTE. Once the Sprint WIMAX towers go dark, they will want to keep that frequency/bandwidth range free for their replacement LTE service & would only want to support LTE devices going forward.

@Jonathan Metalski @WeAreNotAlone As somebody who periodically finds themselves on either side of the Big Pond, I'd long ago put my wireless consumer eggs in the GSM basket - it's only been the recent business innovations of companies like FP that have tempted me into the CDMA pool. In an ideal world, someone would sell me a phone which is true multiband GSM & has CMDA support - such devices do exist, but tend to be relatively expensive & on the physically large size - it's currently easier to have 2 phones...

BTW, manufacturers are not lost on the cost savings behind producing a single model - a number of the region specific GSM phones Sony produced, are internally the same hardware, with certain bands disabled in software, depending on region. Other manufactures almost certainly do the same & if you search around you can sometimes find phones have a model variant that supports all bands (but usually has to be obtained as a gray-market import & usually at premium cost).

• Jean MillerJean Miller Posts: 140FreedomPop Newbie
    D.2 C. said:

We have numerous Freedompop Wimax modems. We have no access to Wifi.

Yeah, what I was trying to say is that it's pointless. Why make and pay for an extra device that converts LTE into WiMax when all you need is an LTE device? It's just not worth it to do what you want. Better off just paying for an LTE hotspot, specially a Spark enabled one as it's better than WiMax could ever have offered.
    I like me deals and free stuff. Thx, peeps