**Reminder** When you sign up for FreedomPop service we often offer a free trial experience for one of our plans or add-on services. Upon the end of your Trial, you will incur the regular charge for that plan or service. Please take a look at our Community post for more information regarding your recent purchase and what to expect: http://bit.ly/2xFTGWY

How can I restrict access to account administration via the FreedomPop Messaging application?

thewampthewamp Posts: 77FreedomPop Newbie
What I am looking for is Password Protected Access to the Account Administration, that can now be performed, via the FreedomPop Messaging application, without the requirement for a Login with Password or PIN or some other type of protection against unwanted changes being made.
Post edited by thewamp on

Best Answer

Answers

• Ali Ali Posts: 6,735FreedomPop Master, Test Role, iOS Master ✭✭✭✭✭
    @thewamp Can you elaborate just a little more on what you'd exactly like? Are you trying to secure your account or are you trying to secure what pages your kids can access?
  • thewampthewamp Posts: 77FreedomPop Newbie
    @Ali When I invoke the Messaging App and bring up the Menu for it, it appears that I can manage the plan by using the various menu options. It appears, that from the Messaging App on the phone, I can add services, deactivate services, edit Billing Settings and make any changes that I would normally do by logging into my FreedomPop accounts from my computer where a password is required.

No password appears to be required when the account is managed from the phone's Messaging App.

Including my account, I pay for 3 other phone accounts. I do not want the users of these 3 accounts to be able to manage the accounts, without logging in to the accounts, in order to prevent changes that might cost me dearly.

Any help relative to this matter will be very much appreciated.
  • olrsolrs Posts: 410FreedomPop Newbie
    @thewamp

You brought up a good point.

They really should add a security feature so unauthorized users can't make changes
  • djinksdjinks Posts: 1,270FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Expert ✭✭✭✭
    @thewamp
    The only way I can think to make that work would be to remove the FP Messaging app from the other phones and use a third party app, like Google Hangouts with Hangouts Dialer. Then they would not have any access to the account but could use the account's data.
  • gezafischgezafisch Posts: 86FreedomPop Newbie
    but then you could just install the messaging app and have full access...
  • djinksdjinks Posts: 1,270FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Expert ✭✭✭✭
    @gezfisch
    If they do not have the password for the account, I don't believe they could make the FP app work. If they knew the old password, or if reinstalling the FP app somehow restores the account information on that phone, just change the password on the account.
  • olrsolrs Posts: 410FreedomPop Newbie
    @djinks

I think the Messaging app automatically loads the account information on like @gezafisch was saying. I've done factory resets and after installing the app all of the account information is there.

It is convenient, but I guess a security issue if someone else is using the phone.
  • thewampthewamp Posts: 77FreedomPop Newbie
    @olrs @djinks @Ali
    A user does not need to use a password to access the Messaging App. The 'MyFreedomPop' App, however, does require a password, and I always thought that this is how one manages his/her account, either via a computer or via a phone.

As a test, to see if services can be added via the Messaging App, I opened the Messaging App menu and added the app that allows one to use the phone as a Hotspot. NO PASSWORD WAS REQUIRED TO ADD THIS SERVICE VIA THE MESSAGING APPLICATION. Of course, I was immediately charged for the added service.

I noticed that Billling Settings can also be accessed via the Messaging App.

I can not comprehend how any business would allow such account management without requiring an authorized user to log in with a password!!!!!

I think that fixing this in the Messaging App security flaw should be of highest priority.

What do the rest of you think?

• Kent W HomolaKent W Homola Posts: 10FreedomPop Newbie
    I agree, most definitely. I don't want my kids playing with the plan options until they are responsible enough to manage their own. I was able to lock it down in Messaging version 15.07.227.0128 and prior by restricting them to a safe browser using applock. Now Messaging forces an update to the newer version which uses it's own embedded browser so I'm no longer able to restrict plan options. Instead, I'll have to restrict phone usage it they mess with the options. Hasn't happened yet but who knows when it will. FreedomPop, please hear the user community!