S3 Bluetooth Crashing

David TheriaultDavid Theriault Posts: 12FreedomPop Newbie
edited June 2015 in Samsung Galaxy S3 (Phone) #1
Whenever I try and connect to anything via Bluetooth, the menu crashes. I tried the soft reset, and resetting the factory settings, and multiple devices. It worked when I first got the phone. What is wrong, and can I fix it?
Post edited by David Theriault on

Answers

• KELLIE LARUEKELLIE LARUE Posts: 148FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Expert ✭✭✭
    @David Theriault you could also try hard resetting
    The NeXus Evoluzione B)
  • Jorge Jorge Posts: 3,380 admin
    Hello @David Theriault Did the hard reset as @KELLIE LARUE suggested resolve your issue? :)
  • David TheriaultDavid Theriault Posts: 12FreedomPop Newbie
    I did a hard Reset and still does the same thing.
  • John ShermanJohn Sherman Posts: 2FreedomPop Newbie
    I just got my S3 and have tried pairing with multiple devices, always with the same result: "Unfortunately settings has stopped". The other forums indicate Bluetooth is not supported in FreedomPop phones. Is this true?
  • Mikhail  FaktorovichMikhail Faktorovich Posts: 1FreedomPop Newbie
    Have exactly the same issue with my S3. Looks like bluetooth is crashing Settings in general. E.g. i can open settings if bluetooth is off. When i turn bluetooth on, settings crashes shortly after i launch it with the message "unfortunately settings has stopped"
  • Geronimo HernandezGeronimo Hernandez Posts: 11FreedomPop Newbie
    Resolved.... install cyanogen 12 20150102 once rooted, then install all of the gapps needed, play, hangouts, etc. Then download the freedom pop app from play store and login to your account... device runs better, bluetooth works and phone is 10x faster. The freedompop rom seems to be a bloated stock rom judging from the fact that once you change wallpapers from the default you will no longer be able to access them. I feel that this rom Freedompop has is very problematic, causes the phone to not respond and other issues. I hope this helped someone dealing with the same frustrations as i once did. I am now happy with this $90 s3. Also there is an apn fix for freedom pop that I ran and it allows me to use 4g/lte when available, my city sucks when it comes to 4g even when i had sprint once upon a time....

Please note, rooting your phone and installing custom roms may void your warranty, please be sure to backup any crucial information prior to embarking on this voyage. If you miss a step or your phone becomes a brick... don't come looking for me.

Heres the link to gapps files: http://forum.xda-developers.com/android/software/app-minimal-gapps-gapps-lp-20150107-1-t2997368

Heres the link to the cyanogen rom download: http://downloadandroidrom.com/file/GalaxyS3Sprint/roms/CM12/cm-12-20150120-UNOFFICIAL-d2spr.zip

Be sure to scroll down below "Download Ready" and simply enter the captcha, download the file and move to your sd card.. Have fun!!!!!!!

#cityiz
  • dmb8183dmb8183 Posts: 2FreedomPop Newbie
    Hi Citiz...can you walk through the exact installation procedure of the Cyanogen? I used the beta to install it, but it did not work. Thanks!
  • dieterdieter Posts: 1FreedomPop Newbie
    edited June 2015 #9
    Is there an answer that does not include rooting the device? We have an S3 with 4.4.2 on it and the bluetooth crashes as soon as it connects to a device. We also have a Note 2 on 4.4.2 that works perfectly with Freedompop.
    Post edited by dieter on
  • dmb8183dmb8183 Posts: 2FreedomPop Newbie
    Thanks man, figured it out...super simple! Applying the APN fix for 4G right now. One quick question...do I need to use the base gapps package that you provided in the link or can I just install apps as I need? I basically only use this phone in my car for Waza and Pandora...cheap data!! Thanks!
  • djinksdjinks Posts: 1,270FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Expert ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2015 #11
    I think gapps includes the google play store and services apps, which you will need, but try it without and see if it works.
  • skylineskyline Posts: 41FreedomPop Newbie
    edited July 2015 #12
    I highly recommend @cityiz solution.

My S3 had the FreedomPop KitKat ROM. At first, it ate SD cards, next the Bluetooth stopped working, once that was fixed, the camera did not work. It just went on and on.

Forget making phone calls, you'll be too busy troubleshooting the OS.

It's the Windows 98 of Android.

No simple fixes. endless backing up, reinstalling not just Apps, but ROMs hoping something would work before the SD card blew up, or going into soft-brick loops.

After installing LolliPop on the S3, It is a completely different phone--things just work--with the same feel, smoothness, and speed of my S4.

Note: Due to the new LolliPop permission conflicts, you will not be able to install both the FreedomPop Messaging app and CSipSimple, but you can install Zoiper instead.

The only suggestion I would make is to start with LolliPop 5.1 instead of 5.0.
    Post edited by skyline on
    sorry @dmb8183 dont hop on that frequently. glad u were able to get installed. i just ran hyperdrive rls 16 which is a great rom but they are having issues with the phone app so i would stay away but if you arent worried about phones, since the fpop sercice sucks, you can always try using talkatone. hyperdrive is really quick and has a ton of tweaks.... only downfall is phone app issues. if you guys need any further assistance just let me know. have a good one!
    dieter said:

Is there an answer that does not include rooting the device? We have an S3 with 4.4.2 on it and the bluetooth crashes as soon as it connects to a device. We also have a Note 2 on 4.4.2 that works perfectly with Freedompop.

the phone comes rooted from freedom pop.... only way for them to install their hacked up half ass rom.... you just need to enable su priv. then you can access root. you will not have any luck with the default rom since it is 1) the last rom available for s3. all s3 devices are stuck and without a custom rom you will never have a fully functional phone since kit kat was a sloppy job from the start. everything improved with lolli/5.x
  • Donald LadowskiDonald Ladowski Posts: 1FreedomPop Newbie
    Is there a way to fix this bluetooth problem without using a different rom? It seems this will void the phones warranty. Also freedom pop support doesn't care to answer this issue. They assume we don't know how to work the phone. My phone shuts down the settings app whenever I activate bluetooth. This is extremely unsatisfactory since I use bluetooth to connect to my car for handsfree call. Illinois law says handsfree is the only you can use your phone in the car. This bluetooth problem is a deal breaker for me. It seems that this is something freedom pop can fix with an update. WTF?
  • Paul WalkerPaul Walker Posts: 18FreedomPop Newbie
    I'm pretty sure it's something in the OS preventing the bluetooth from working. BTW the customer support is just some people from a third world country copy/pasting generic responses.
  • Shadow WalkerShadow Walker Posts: 12FreedomPop Newbie
    There are no other ways to fix this without flashing another ROM.the phone comes rooted so I don't think you'd be voiding your warranty.
  • Shadow WalkerShadow Walker Posts: 12FreedomPop Newbie
    There are no other ways to fix this without using an other way. Cyanogenmod is the best one to use and the phone already comes rooted so I doubt you'd be voiding your warranty.
  • jfrjfr Posts: 2FreedomPop Newbie
    Great. How do I enable su priv?
  • John TandyJohn Tandy Posts: 4FreedomPop Newbie
    I'll just add myself to this. Exact same everything.

I'm interested in doing the whole Cyanogen thing, but first: Does anyone know (or have a link to) the best way to back up the stock FreedomPop OS first? I'd like to be able to back out if things don't work out.

So... Back things up, root, install Cyanogen, install google apps, install 4G fix, install FreedomPop apps. Good to go?
  • John SoupirJohn Soupir Posts: 2FreedomPop Newbie
    I have a galaxy s3 which has this problem. But I know someone who has an s3 with what looks like a newer version of the freedompop s3 rom (it's definitely different), which has none of these problems. Does anyone know if it would be possible to copy the rom from the working phone to the buggy phone? Also both phones are rooted.
  • Mr_StewartMr_Stewart Posts: 37FreedomPop Newbie
    @John Soupir

I have a galaxy s3 which has this problem. But I know someone who has an s3 with what looks like a newer version of the freedompop s3 rom (it's definitely different), which has none of these problems. Does anyone know if it would be possible to copy the rom from the working phone to the buggy phone? Also both phones are rooted.

Did you ever find out if that was possible? I have 4 s3's and 3 work and have a different build number, the fourth has a lower build number and it crashes when trying to use Bluetooth.