**Reminder** When you sign up for FreedomPop service we often offer a free trial experience for one of our plans or add-on services. Upon the end of your Trial, you will incur the regular charge for that plan or service. Please take a look at our Community post for more information regarding your recent purchase and what to expect: http://bit.ly/2xFTGWY

FreedomPop Unlimited Data FAQ

Q: What kind of speeds should I expect?
A: To provide you with the most affordable unlimited plan in the industry, we set a threshold on the amount of data you can use at full speed during a single billing cycle. Though your speeds will be temporarily reduced, you will still enjoy unlimited data for the rest of your cycle to continue using services such as email, web browsing and your favorite social networks. Upon renewal of your cycle, your usage meter will reset along with your data speeds.

Speed reductions will be applied according to the date you began your Unlimited Data Plan subscription. If you subscribed to our Unlimited Data Plan before June 1st, 2015 - your speeds will be reduced to 256 kbps after your initial data threshold. For subscribers who added their Unlimited Data Plan after June 1st, 2015 - your speeds will be reduced to 128 kbps after your initial data threshold.

Q: What is the data threshold on my Unlimited Data Plan?
A: Your data threshold is the data allotment associated with your plan which determines how much data can be experienced at full speed.

For example:
If you are on the 1GB Unlimited Data Plan, your data threshold is 1GB. Once you have reached 1GB, your speeds will be reduced for the remainder of your billing cycle.

Comments

• SEAN OGORMANSEAN OGORMAN FreedomPop Newbie Posts: 37
    What if you previously had unlimited data, dropped it, then went back after June 1st?
  • James SteeleJames Steele FreedomPop Newbie Posts: 24
    It really doesn't matter as the plan description says something completely different than what they give you -- I'll bet you the actual speed received by Pre June people will be closer to post June customer than to the 256 they claim.

Any Takers?
  • jeff schefkejeff schefke FreedomPop Newbie Posts: 23
    Id rather pay more and get better speeds, like 30$ for 512 not 15 or 128
  • James SewellJames Sewell FreedomPop Newbie Posts: 67 ✭✭✭
    Why is unlimited 3G the same price as 256kbps and below? Shouldn't it be cheaper now?
  • J LJ L FreedomPop Newbie Posts: 7
    I've had unlimited on my phone since Feb and now getting 30k/sec throttled, 30k/sec is nearly useless.
    Not a happy customer.
  • James SteeleJames Steele FreedomPop Newbie Posts: 24
    Basically what FP is telling you is that they define Unlimited as a limited service which will be throttled to a point where:

Your only capable of viewing text type web sites, in a timely manner!

Receiving emails, provided they don't have any attachments like pictures, unless you want to wait an hour or so for them to download.

Visiting Facebook, Twitter and posting comments - but having to wait long minutes (to hours) to download shared pictures, video, and not being able to play their games.

Don't even think about going to YouTube to play a video, as it will take a very long time to download and view a 3 minute video.

Streaming music - if you're lucky, you will be able to listen to VERY LOW quality music.

Playing internet required games will become challenging - and many won't work properly, and often you won't get notifications of attacks ect, until after the face.

Using the internet to make call - Forget it, as you'll never know when someone is calling you, and the quality of the outgoing call will also be very poor.

Most importantly is the claim that they will give you 256 or 128 kbps service, when in reality they are throttling the accounts to those speeds, which means unless you have a direct connect line to their servers -- you will most likely be receiving speed of less than half of what is being stated. Search throttling and speed in the forums, if the links are still active and see for yourself.

Good Luck

Jay
  • Casey GunterCasey Gunter FreedomPop Newbie Posts: 27
    I have posted two comments to this thread which evidently have not been allowed. Either that or its taken a very long time to ok them. The second comment had absolutely nothing that should not have been allowed and the first was pretty much just a definition of 2G speeds which showed there is 2G out there faster than these speeds.

The whole reason I went with Freedom Pop is because of unthrottled 3G after allotted data. Now after waiting over a month for my phone, I'm being told I won't get what I signed up for.

Why would anyone keep the unlimited plan? I'm not trying to be difficult, I just seriously can't see where there's a benefit for unlimited data over the Unlimited talk and text. Talk and text w/ 10+ freedom friends and data share could get you up to 1.5 GB for $6.99, I think that's the price, right? Unlimited data gets you up to 2 GB max and is then going to be unusable for MOST users. So, unless you want to pay $13/mo for .5 GB, I don't see the point.
  • Charles Live morganCharles Live morgan FreedomPop Newbie Posts: 7
    edited June 2015 #11
    On another note, how does a new BYOD user sign up for the unlimited everything now that the page has been taken down?
    @Ali is there a new link or is it a support call?
    Post edited by Charles Live morgan on
  • Charles Live morganCharles Live morgan FreedomPop Newbie Posts: 7
    edited June 2015 #12
    Hmm, I'm not going to get the Unlimited 3G that I signed up for? I'll have to rethink the data plan. May go down to free plan, I will give it another month to see how the speed goes after hitting the 1G limit.
    Current test: .28 to .33Mbps. I did sign up before June 1.
    Post edited by Charles Live morgan on
  • Ryan Radford +7Ryan Radford +7 FreedomPop Newbie Posts: 1

On another note, how does a new BYOD user sign up for the unlimited everything now that the page has been taken down?
    @Ali is there a new link or is it a support call?

I just tried the BYOD and the $19.99 unlimited everything plan was the default option at sign up

Can we do 512 for the vets? I started in 2013 with the phone service & voicemail. and then unlimited data nov 2014.

@FreedomPop I need a little more than 256.
  • Moises CardonaMoises Cardona FreedomPop Newbie Posts: 46
    @FreedomPop I was being throttled at 256kb/s but I'm now throttled at 128kb/s since yesterday at 6:00PM. Can you tell me why? I've had the unlimited plan since November 2014. Is this a new bug in your throttling system? I was streaming music with Google Music and then it began buffering, and when I ran a Speedtest definitely I got throttled to 128kb/s
    @Freedom Pop can we have the option of moving some upload bandwidth to the download side?
  • VolarixVolarix FreedomPop Newbie Posts: 30
    I'm not trying to be negative against Freedompop, but my concern is that the FTC/FCC and lawyers won't be happy with this change. You can't call a plan unlimited if it throttles after a small amount of data. This is why the FTC got involved in Straight Talk's "Unlimited" data claims (their plans also throttled after a certain data amount) and they're now paying back tens of millions of dollars back to customers for the incorrect advertising. Similarly, Cricket, T-Mobile, Boost, Virgin, and MetroPCS can't call their $40/$50 plans "unlimited" even though they also throttle to 128kbps after a few GB. Unlimited plans can only throttle temporarily during network congestion - Sprint would be in charge of that. That's the reason why AT&T, Verizon, Sprint, and T-Mobile do not throttle their unlimited users (grandfathered users for AT&T and Verizon).

I'm just trying to protect Freedompop customers and bottom line - I don't want to be covering the cost of millions of dollars in refunds/penalties just because of poor marketing decisions.

Relevant article:
    http://www.engadget.com/2015/01/28/ftc-settles-with-tracfone-over-throttling/

Can we do 512 for the vets? I started in 2013 with the phone service & voicemail. and then unlimited data nov 2014.

@FreedomPop I need a little more than 256.

What about offering a higher priced Unlimited Plan that keeps the speeds that were previously available? $24.99 or $29.99?? You get unthrottled LTE until your high speed data runs out and then you get unthrottled 3G and/or 4G throttled to 1-1.4Mb.

That sounds like a reasonable solution to me. It gives people the option to choose and will bring in more revenue. Those on a budget but need unlimited data AND can get by with 128k/256k can keep the $19.99 plan.

I would upgrade to the new "Premium Unlimited" at either of those price points.

What does everyone else think about this idea and about the unlimited data throttling in general?
  • Moises CardonaMoises Cardona FreedomPop Newbie Posts: 46
    I agree with @Casey Gunter I also would pay a premium price for unthrottled 3G speeds. Maybe an unlimited 3G-only plan would work because my HTC is only 3G (4G WiMAX but there isn't coverage here making it a 3G-only device)
  • VolarixVolarix FreedomPop Newbie Posts: 30
    edited June 2015 #21
    I just wanted to add another relevant news event to my post above. Remember how AT&T started throttling its unlimited data customers after 5GB? The FCC just fined AT&T $100 million today.
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-switch/wp/2015/06/17/att-just-got-hit-with-a-100-million-fine-after-slowing-down-its-unlimited-data/

Going by both FCC/FTC events; unlimited data cannot be throttled after a certain amount of data.
    Post edited by Volarix on
  • J LJ L FreedomPop Newbie Posts: 7
    WTG FCC/FTC, Maybe back to 'some' truth in advertizing.
  • newbUser4NownewbUser4Now FreedomPop Newbie Posts: 32

I agree with @Casey Gunter I also would pay a premium price for unthrottled 3G speeds. Maybe an unlimited 3G-only plan would work because my HTC is only 3G (4G WiMAX but there isn't coverage here making it a 3G-only device)

I would happily pay for an unlimited un-throttled 3G service rather than their 1 GB LTE & then less than a 56k modem speeds after.
    I'd even take a consistent 2G speed over what I'm getting.
  • H Gayle RaymondH Gayle Raymond FreedomPop Newbie Posts: 19
    I saw that news too - waaayyyy overdue IMHO.

Actually, how can anyone sell "unlimited anything" unless they own all of it and can control all of it, LOL !
    Helen :)
  • JazneoJazneo FreedomPop Newbie Posts: 24
    Make a 3g Unlimited plain. i dont care about 4glte i want my 2mb speed back
    Even if they changed their page to show 128kbps for customers that sign up now, that is NOT what I signed up for.

I signed up for 3G after 1 GB.

How can FP change that between signup and start of service?