Missing name

20Marj0820Marj08 Posts: 1FreedomPop Newbie
Why doesn't my name show up with the phone number when I call someone?

Answers

• Ali Ali Posts: 6,705FreedomPop Master, Test Role, iOS Master ✭✭✭✭✭
    @20Marj08 This is something which is controlled by FreedomPop and Bandwidth directly. Unfortunately it isn't possible to have your Caller ID be custom to your name!
  • limeylimey Posts: 674FreedomPop Newbie ✭✭✭
    Basically, caller-id is a bit of a mess these days. If your wireless carrier is one the majors, then you probably get a proper name string delivered with the caller-id - otherwise (and especially so when using an MVNO/VOIP service like Freedompop) you just get a generic string along the lines of City, State, or Wireless Caller.

There's some more info on what's behind this, at this link:
    https://listyourself.net/WhitePaperWhyCNAMDoesNotWork.jsp
    (The company providing that page, have a service which can apparently get your name into 411 databases, but I've no experience of them - just posting the link, since it gives some background into the caller-id lookup process.)

Increasingly, I've found the lack of a proper caller-id name string to be less of an issue, since nearly all phones (both landline & wireless) now have their own contact databases built in (which typically override the caller-id name string) - it's only an issue when you call someone who doesn't yet have your number in their contacts.