Google Play Services Using Lot of data

Hi,
I have been having my Samsung S3 Freedompop phone for about 6 months, but of late in the last two weeks, i see google play services is using about 80+ MB at once to download some updates probably, but this has happened about 6 times already and am not sure what this update is or if there is an error in update, is there a way i can either fix the download or if we can restrict this download only over wifi? I do have the setting for app updates to be done over wifi only, so not sure where this google play services is using this much amount of data. Please help.

Thanks

Comments

• djinksdjinks Posts: 1,270FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Expert ✭✭✭✭
    @Surya Venkatraman
    Check that Google Play Services is set to update only on wifi. Googe Play -> Settings-> General section
  • Wade BuchananWade Buchanan Posts: 62FreedomPop Newbie
    I had the exact same thing happen to me this morning. I already set Google Play store to update only on wifi, but that didn't seem to stop whatever it just updated. Data Usage says it is Google Play Services that downloaded something over the cellular network. This really is not cool especially when you have set everything to not use the cellular network.

Sadly if I click the Google Play Services in Data Usage and tell it to disable it and only work on wifi then what happens is that the Freedompop messenger cannot register for some reason and then my cellular network access appears to be down. I turn on Google Play Services and restart the phone and we are back in business.

There has to be a way to ensure the phone isn't going out and downloading "stuff" when I am on the cellular network. So far the check box in Google Play store isn't doing it. I just turned off the automatic updates completely and will do it manually when I get notified. Let's see if we get any more updates. I see that I had a new ROM update today. So we will see if turning off updates completely keeps the downloads at bay or if I have to go to more extreme measures.
  • Prerak ShahPrerak Shah Posts: 10FreedomPop Newbie
    I am facing exactly same issue on my S3. Google Play services is using lot of cellular data while I am on wifi almost all the time.

Anyone has got any luck?