How to get adequate monthly data capacity

djinksdjinks Posts: 1,270FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Expert ✭✭✭✭
edited August 2015 in Tips #1
This is not another thread about slow data services or the unlimited data plan. If you want to rant, search "Slow Data Service" and go there. This thread is for a positive discussion for getting adequate data capacity and speed to do whatever you want with the data. The Unlimited data service is limited to 128kbps after the 1GB of 4G service, which is inadequate for anything but maybe texting (IMHO).

So what do we do?

Here is a FreedomPop alternative:
Multiple FP Devices, each with their own account and free or paid data plans and connected FreedomPop Friends. I use this approach myself. You can buy the devices from FreedomPop (phones or hotspots or USB) or purchase separately and activate on BYOD (approved phones, no hotspots). Use free plans with 500 MB per accounts plus 500MB from 10 FreedomPop friends, or select a 2 or 4GB 4G LTE plans, then add 500MB from connected FP friends. Add as many as you need to get the capacity you want. Yes, you pay for the devices up front, and if BYOD, also for an activation fee. Your per month expense is what you elect to spend.

When one device gets low on data, you switch to another device. What happens to your phone calls depends on how you set up your number. If you want all phones to share the same number, you must use a forwarding service like ring.to or Google Voice, that can forward calls from your designated ring.to/GV number to multiple phone numbers. You can also use Google Hangouts, which does not forward to you phone, but rings your Hangouts Dialer app on what ever phone you are carrying.

Other Alternatives - Prepaid, No Contract
There are several other carriers that offer larger amounts of data (2.5 to 5GB) off contract. I like to think we can discuss them here. If we should not, I am sure Forum mods will inform us. In my opinion, FreedomPop offers a better price-sensitive option.

Other Alternatives - Postpaid, Contracts
If you have something to add about contract services, please contribute. I personally find those services too expensive for what you get, but service in certain areas may make one carrier more attractive. Keep in mind your contract will also limit your flexibility.

So, now who has a good idea to share? How much data do you need? What data speed is adequate for your needs?
Post edited by djinks on

Comments

• weanutweanut Posts: 309FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Expert ✭✭✭
    i just woke up & saw this, so, no ideas yet. i just wanted to thank you for posting this, & hope others(or even me)will have some helpful suggestions. so, thank you! :)
  • kevin sandrikkevin sandrik Posts: 11FreedomPop Newbie
    this is awesome and exactly what i was thinking.
  • limeylimey Posts: 674FreedomPop Newbie ✭✭✭
    @djinks Totally agree that multiple FP devices, each being on it's own email/account is a good way to create a workable pool of data for everyday light/moderate use. At the very least, having a phone, a wifi hotspot & a USB modem stick, will give you 550Mb (after Freedom Friends/before data cutoff) per device, with the option of giving up to 300Mb each month to any particular device that needs it. If you more Freedom Friends (or more devices) you get more flexibility.

If you need non-VOIP voice, then alternatives like Ting may be work a look, provided your typical usage level is fairly light.

If you need more data, or don't want to have to watch your usage level too much, then prepaid MVNOs like Cricket/H20 come in to play in the ~$35 a month cost range.

Individual factors (like local network availability/wanting to use hardware you already own) may influence vendor choice/make using a combination of vendors a workable route.

As far as speed is concerned - I personally find anything below 3G UMTS/HSPA speeds to be too slow for comfortable everyday data use, but will use 2G speeds if that's all that's available (employing old browser tricks like not displaying images & selecting mobile site versions to cope with the slower speed). Slow internet remains better than no internet. ;)
  • djinksdjinks Posts: 1,270FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Expert ✭✭✭✭
    @limey
    Thanks for you post. I don't quite get your math though. I figure 900MB per device on a free plan (+500MB) plus 10 FreedomPop Friends (+500MB) less the (-100MB) buffer. I usually also can get an additional 500MB gifted to me on several devices if I need it. That would make it 900 to 1400MB of free data per device.
  • limeylimey Posts: 674FreedomPop Newbie ✭✭✭
    Actually, you're right (* although my example was for just 3 devices [phone/hotspot/USB stick], rather than what you could achieve with the max number of friends) - so, 500Mb baseline, minus the 100Mb cutoff, plus 50Mb for each of the 2 additional friended devices = 500Mb per device, with a pool of 300Mb (100 for each of the 3 devices) that could be gifted to particular devices as needed. (My error was that a total of 3 device accounts only = 2 friends for each account.)

* I figured that an average Joe probably wouldn't be into managing 10 accounts/friends to boost their data, whereas tech enthusiasts/geeks/frugalists would be more than happy (I'm in that latter grouping, if you hadn't guessed). ;)

Another trick might be to maintain a few FP Free Talk & Text accounts on any supported android devices you have around (WiFi tablets and the like) - these would also give you 50Mb of Freedom Friends data + another sharable 100Mb each, no? (You just need to remember to use 'em at least once every 60 days to avoid losing the associated phone numbers.)
  • djinksdjinks Posts: 1,270FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Expert ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2015 #7
    @limey
    I did not think of this, as Free Talk and Text plans do not have a data plan. Just tested it and it does work. Thanks for the suggestion.
    limey said:

Another trick might be to maintain a few FP Free Talk & Text accounts on any supported android devices you have around (WiFi tablets and the like) - these would also give you 50Mb of Freedom Friends data + another sharable 100Mb each, no? (You just need to remember to use 'em at least once every 60 days to avoid losing the associated phone numbers.)

• Charles gmail MorganCharles gmail Morgan Posts: 5FreedomPop Newbie
    I have 11 devices so 10 friends. I have 3 (Galaxy Tab 4) tablets that I keep for myself with Google Hangouts. That is 900 MB per tablet, unlimited call/text through hangouts. When one tablet runs out, I switch to another. 2700MB total available without even gifting data. With gifting from other accounts add another 1500MB total (I have not needed to use gifting).