**Reminder** When you sign up for FreedomPop service we often offer a free trial experience for one of our plans or add-on services. Upon the end of your Trial, you will incur the regular charge for that plan or service. Please take a look at our Community post for more information regarding your recent purchase and what to expect: http://bit.ly/2xFTGWY

anyone try the Kyocera hydro icon?

RossfuzRossfuz Posts: 116FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Expert ✭✭✭
I know it's a new phone for Freedompop but im curious about it.I wanna get someone a present and this phone would be right down their alley.anyone ever play or own this phone?

Comments

• Mike (GS-3, 30th) GrossMike (GS-3, 30th) Gross Posts: 143FreedomPop Newbie
    Daughter has 2 of them and service was through Metro PCS. It's a GSM Android phone (AT&T) anyway, I compared it to the ZTE and thought it was a little better than the ZTE. The BIG think it has going for it is it is water proof !
  • Robert LightfootRobert Lightfoot Posts: 16FreedomPop Newbie
    CNET's review shows it dunked in a glass of water and it stays running. I'll post more when mine arrives. Fedex sent my first one to the wrong house, but thats my problem.
  • Mike (GS-3, 30th) GrossMike (GS-3, 30th) Gross Posts: 143FreedomPop Newbie
    I just ordered one yesterday (Thursday) and they say it has shipped (actually they claim it shipped at 8:00pm Wednesday). I usually receive items from FP in a day or 2 max after shipment so I should have this tomorrow or Monday and will let you know how it goes. I dropped my ZTE in the lake a week or 2 ago and the touch screen quit working so I bought this for $20
  • Ryan Radford 2Ryan Radford 2 Posts: 633FreedomPop Newbie ✭✭✭
    It's a decent device, the best part is that it doesn't have the FreedomPop rom customizations and Kyocera didn't make too many changes to Android. Unfortunately that means no root or custom recovery. It wasn't a very popular device because of the lack of storage space, and there has little in terms of the development community tinkering with it.
    Want a free lte sim? Message me and ill give you a credit card to purchase it!

Common issues related to FreedomPop Devices:
    https://forums.freedompop.com/discussion/10896/battery-issues-please-read-this#latest

If you are having trouble with the FreedomPop messaging app registering, always try uninstalling it and then reinstalling it. If that doesn't work download push notification fixer (no root) from the play store. make sure both intervals are set to 5 minutes and click apply.

I don't work for FreedomPop
  • Jay CaiJay Cai Posts: 5FreedomPop Newbie
    Just got mine 2 days ago and it auto-upgraded to Android 4.4 (from 4.3). I did a factory reset after just to make sure no residual data was left. Good battery life, runs smooth, 4 GB internal ROM available + 16 GB SDcard installed. No problems at all *except* one major issue is the incoming calls/notifications are missed sometimes. I installed PNF (Push Notification Fixer) app to shorten the default GCM (Google Cloud Messaging) heartbeat from 28 mins to 5 mins, which keeps the incoming VoIP call rings & notifications on-time. I had to do this on Samsung S3 also (but not the LG F3) from freedompop too. For some reason these the Samsung & Kyocera ROMs aren't keeping the GCM socket open to receive notifications timely on Sprint's network.
  • Brian BartonBrian Barton Posts: 180FreedomPop Newbie
    What is a Google cloud messaging heartbeat? Also Ryan this phone can easily be rooted as 4.3 or 4.4.
    edited August 2015 #8
    @Brian Barton You and I have two very different definitions of easily rooted. had to jump through several hoops to get rid of the chinese rooting method, and replace it with Chainfire's SuperSU binary. Also tethering still doesn't work over Wi-Fi, yes it does workover bluetooth and usb

https://forums.freedompop.com/discussion/10896/battery-issues-please-read-this#latest

If you are having trouble with the FreedomPop messaging app registering, always try uninstalling it and then reinstalling it. If that doesn't work download push notification fixer (no root) from the play store. make sure both intervals are set to 5 minutes and click apply.

What wrong with the Chinese method an how did you replace it with chainfire's?
    @Brian Barton go here to replace it with chainfire's http://www.w0lfdroid.com/2015/05/How-to-Remove-Replace-KingUser-KingRoot-with-SuperSU.html?m=1

There is a security issues with that root method.

• weanutweanut Posts: 309FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Expert ✭✭✭
    @Jay Cai interesting on the pnf issue. i have a freedompop s3, my bf has a byod. as far as i can tell, i'm not missing calls, but he says he has been. is this strictly a freedompop rom issue or is it particular to hydro & s3 phones? will try it on my phone, then explain to the bf what to do(he's on the road a lot, & i'm the household geek ;) ) figure it can't hurt to try.
    Thank you for the info that's the method I used aswell. I guess I'm just used to playing with phones and it ends up being fun half the time..at least when it works. :)

Also any dropped calls I've had are mostly because of bad coverage and a funny/slow switching in between lte and 3g but it doesn't happen often. On WiFi I get every call and text and haven't had any drops it only gets a little static noise when I go outside which is really far away from my router. But I have a very good ac router.
  • James_in_UtahJames_in_Utah Posts: 243FreedomPop Newbie
    I've had my Hydro since Saturday. It seems pretty solid, but I am missing calls. Once it starts missing calls, it won't get any calls until I reboot, or just go in and force the "Messaging" app to stop, and then restart it. It could be because I'm in a sketchy coverage area. I did install the PNF app and that did seem to improve things, but I am still missing calls. I called tech support yesterday, and they guy had me uninstall and reinstall the app, and check some settings. Any suggestions on a fix would be appreciated.

The only other issue so far is with my Bluetooth headset. I tried pairing to my Jabra, and that worked, but the volume on the headset is way low. I can barely hear it. I paired the Jabra back to my old cell, and it sounds fine. I paired it to the Hydro and I can barely hear it again. I've set all the volume controls to max, and they don't seem to effect the volume of the Jabra. Any suggestion would be appreciated.
    James Are you running a application killer or disabler? Also are you on kitkat or JB?
  • James_in_UtahJames_in_Utah Posts: 243FreedomPop Newbie
    I havent loaded any application killer or disabler. The phone updated itself to 4.4.2 when I first turned it on.
    Try a factory reset in the android menu or through the stock recovery. To get to the stock recovery Turn off the phone then Hold volume down and power button. If you don't want to lose your data try clearing your cache first to see if that will do anything. (It's in the same recovery menu as factory reset)
  • Joel SochaczewskyJoel Sochaczewsky Posts: 2FreedomPop Newbie
    I received my Icon last week, and can't get rid of the echo that other party hears. I removed and re-installed the latest messaging app. I turned on and off echo cancellation via the messaging app. I tried the echo canceller calibration but it only says "Calibrating...". I dialed ##72786#. I covered up the secondary microphone. Is there something else that I should try before I attempt a factory reset? Has anyone else had this issue and were you able to resolve it?
  • Joel SochaczewskyJoel Sochaczewsky Posts: 2FreedomPop Newbie
    Interesting - I removed the Freedompop Messaging app, and was able to make calls without too bad of an echo, but was unable to receive calls. When I reinstalled Messaging I was able to receive calls, but the echo came back. Any ideas for my next step?
  • JohnKJohnK Posts: 10FreedomPop Newbie
    Same echo problem on my Kyocera Icon. Seems like a common problem. Has anyone from FreedomPop responded?
  • JohnKJohnK Posts: 10FreedomPop Newbie
    I did some more testing of this problem. I don't hear any echo on a Samsung Ring but it's pretty bad when I called a Verizon phone. I found that lowering the speaker volume on my phone reduced the echo and if I put my phone on speakerphone or mute then there is no echo at all. Also, I found that the echo is intermittent. Sometimes there is no echo at all. Very strange.
  • Tracy L BozemanTracy L Bozeman Posts: 23FreedomPop Newbie
    I was thinking bout getting this phone too. But I need more space that 2 0r 3 gigs I have Samsung victory.. Had it a year don't have much money to keep putting in phones so I don't what to do.... Help I need a bigger screen than5 inches maybe I thought only sprint phones were usable to fp. So cpnfused
    Well the phones with the larger storage space start at $99.99 with LG g2 that comes with 32GB of storage space.

The next one is the nexus 5 right now is $139.99 16GB of storage lick the banner at the top of the page for this one.

They sell the GS5 for $279.99 16GB of storage space

• weanutweanut Posts: 309FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Expert ✭✭✭
    i have the hydro, it happens to work pretty well for me. i didn't really have to tweak much of anything, the call volume was very low on both ends so i checked 'hearing aid' hahaha & that helped. i have the messaging app & ring.to on the phone, not the sd card. that can actually make a difference. it's a really fast little phone. i'd love to get the nexus 5, that is an awesome price but can't do it at the moment.
  • S MPS MP Posts: 350FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Expert ✭✭✭

I was thinking bout getting this phone too. But I need more space that 2 0r 3 gigs I have Samsung victory.. Had it a year don't have much money to keep putting in phones so I don't what to do.... Help I need a bigger screen than5 inches maybe I thought only sprint phones were usable to fp. So cpnfused

@tracyboz66 - I have the Galaxy S3 and like it very much. I have not had any issues at all with it. Didn't have to root anything or change anything that FreedomPop has on the phone. It has enough storage for me with 16GB total internal storage. After a year of loading up apps I still have about 6GB left over. (And that's without buying an SD card which I could put all my photos, videos, etc. on to free up more space.)

The screen is not quite 5", but it's a good size at 4.8".

My husband has the Nexus 5 and it definitely has a nice screen and the same 16GB storage, but he has issues with data which have not been resolved yet. So I can't personally recommend it unless you are tech savvy and know how to do some things to fix that. Unless FreedomPop has done something meanwhile to change what they're doing when sending the phone out? If anyone has insight re: that, please correct me.

There is currently a Groupon sale with the Samsung Galaxy S3 - for $79!

I was happy to pay $99 for the same phone less than a year ago, so this is a very good deal! :)

Here's the link to the Groupon sale - https://www.groupon.com/deals/gg-freedompop-free-mobile-phone-service-samsung-lg-smartphone?utm_source=rvs&utm_medium=afl&utm_campaign=7681761
    I'm not an employee...only a volunteer. If you need official assistance:

Freedompop Customer Service numbers-(888) 743-8107---(888) 906-3184---855) 703-5785---(888) 673-8518---888) 915-2647--(888) 731-1555--(888) 701-1353, Monday-Friday 8am-8pm PDT.
    The S3 is on serious back order. I would about buying this device right now

• teeker1740teeker1740 Posts: 3FreedomPop Newbie
    I had 4 of them that I ordered for various family members. After a few weeks, all 4 of them, almost simultaneously, got the "unfortunately, (insert any google app name here) has stopped working. Not a single google app would open, even after multiple factory resets the problem never went away. I spent days looking for a solution to no avail. Tech support could not fix either, so I returned them.