**Reminder** When you sign up for FreedomPop service we often offer a free trial experience for one of our plans or add-on services. Upon the end of your Trial, you will incur the regular charge for that plan or service. Please take a look at our Community post for more information regarding your recent purchase and what to expect: http://bit.ly/2xFTGWY

How to update your FreedomPop Nexus

Adolfo GalvanAdolfo Galvan Posts: 720FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Master, Test Role, FreedomPop Expert, FP Flyer ✭✭✭✭
***This is not supported by FreedomPop. I am a user that created this post to help you factory restore your phone. FreedomPop is not responsible for incorrect firmware, unstable updates, or failed flashes. Proceed at your own risk!***
You have a Nexus! Google makes it easy to update than most. If you follow these steps, you will able to update your device for as long as Google supports it. And even when it doesn't anymore! FreedomPop supports 3 Nexus devices: Nexus S 4G, Galaxy Nexus, and Nexus 5 (I have all 3). You will be able to re-download all your FreedomPop apps from the Play Store.

I am sure that you are on this page because you are wanting to update your FreedomPop purchased Nexus device. You will notice that when you turn your phone on, there is an open lock under the word "Google". In order for FreedomPop to offer a phone that can use the Messaging VoIP phone/text app and to mass produce it, the ROM has been altered to customize the experience. However, in doing so, the ROM is no longer updatable from the over-the-air. So, you cannot update to the latest version available for your phone. I will show you how to update it.

First the disclaimer: Although it is a slim chance, you can mess up your phone if you don't do this correctly. You are doing this because you want the newest software. This is NOT supported by FreedomPop. Don't let this scare you too much. Most of the time, if you do mess up, you can get back to the bootloader to start over again. You have a Nexus, so it is highly unlikely that you will brick your device. Make sure your phone is FULLY charged. DO NOT ATTEMPT IF YOU SUSPECT A BAD CHARGING/USB PORT!!!!

Second: You will lose all data on the phone, including your pictures, music, documents, and anything else you have of value. Backup anything you don't want to lose to your computer or cloud service.

Third: This may be your gateway to rooting, modding, or installing other ROMs on your phone. The steps you learn here will make it easy to do that too! My first Android was a Nexus One. I rooted it within 2 hours of receiving it! The skills learned here are needed to it.

Forth: The files are big. If you are running out of space on your computer, you will need to free up 4Gb of space.

Fifth: YOU CAN DO IT!

Comments

• Adolfo GalvanAdolfo Galvan Posts: 720FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Master, Test Role, FreedomPop Expert, FP Flyer ✭✭✭✭
    Step one: Download the files that you need

1. The Factory ROM

The instructions are mostly here: https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/images
    I will try give you some tips to make it easier.

On the back of the Nexus S 4G and Galaxy Nexus and note the model number. For the Nexus 5 and above, there is no Sprint variant. On your computer, go to the link above and find your phone. For example, find the Nexus 5 (Note its codename is hammerhead. Remember that when you want to flash a different ROM). Then find the latest version, which as of July 2015 is 5.1.1 (LMY48B). Click the link and download to some place you can find. It maybe easiest to use the default Downloads folder. Unzip the file.

2. Fastboot and ADB

These are 2 essential files that you will need to flash the ROM, or a recovery to flash a different ROM. The official way to get them, is downloading Android Studio and using it to download the Android SDK. You will download a 250Mb file and use almost 500Mb of space to get a couple of files less than 2Mb.

Go here: https://developer.android.com/sdk and download the Android studio for your computer operating system. Install the program and run it. Select the custom option and download only the Android SDK. Please make a note of the install location on that same page. You will need to go there to get the files you need.

Go to the install folder. Go to the SDK folder, then the "platform-tools" folder. If you did not note the location, just do a search on your computer for "fastboot". Copy "adb" and "fastboot" to the same folder as the unzipped ROM.

So in that folder, you should have:
    adb and fastboot
    bootloader file
    image file
    radio file
    flash-all files

Note of you have a Mac or Linux (I am using a Debian-based Linux like Ubuntu for this discussion. Omit the sudo command if you have access to 'root'): You have to make an adjustment to the file. We will discuss this in Step 3.
  • Joseph AnthonyJoseph Anthony Posts: 5FreedomPop Newbie
    I just use nexus root toolkit. But I wss unsuccessful in getting data to work on stock Rom, or any other Rom for that matter. I had to flash back to to freedom Rom to get it to work.
    I just use nrt. So much easier. They do all the heavy lifting fit you. Use the cord that came with the phone when you do it. http://www.wugfresh.com/nrt/
  • Ronald HolderRonald Holder Posts: 15FreedomPop Newbie
    I tackled this update today and had all sorts of challenges making it work, the worst being that the adb devices command did NOT show a device connected. But when I issued the flash-all.bat file, it DID install the 5.1.1 update OK. I got the newest system image LMY481 with the Stagefright security fixes. If others are interested, I could write up and post my version of the procedure, but results may vary for you like they did for me.
  • Adolfo GalvanAdolfo Galvan Posts: 720FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Master, Test Role, FreedomPop Expert, FP Flyer ✭✭✭✭

I just use nrt. So much easier. They do all the heavy lifting fit you. Use the cord that came with the phone when you do it. http://www.wugfresh.com/nrt/

I have used this a long time ago. You are right this is easier. My goal here was to make it OS neutral.

I tackled this update today and had all sorts of challenges making it work, the worst being that the adb devices command did NOT show a device connected. But when I issued the flash-all.bat file, it DID install the 5.1.1 update OK. I got the newest system image LMY481 with the Stagefright security fixes. If others are interested, I could write up and post my version of the procedure, but results may vary for you like they did for me.

When you are in fastboot mode, you use "fastboot devices". adb is for when you are in a custom recovery or when it is booted in Android and USB debugging is enabled.

And any critique about the guide to improve it, I will welcome.
  • Ian YueIan Yue Posts: 4FreedomPop Newbie
    Thank you, Adolfo! Your step-by-step instruction is just what I needed, especially since I was trying to upgrade using Mac OS X.

Just a heads-up: Your Mac instructions are missing instructions on how to edit the "flash-all.sh" file. I, luckily, made the effort to read through the Linux instructions to find out what to do.
    Ian Yue said:

Thank you, Adolfo! Your step-by-step instruction is just what I needed, especially since I was trying to upgrade using Mac OS X.

Just a heads-up: Your Mac instructions are missing instructions on how to edit the "flash-all.sh" file. I, luckily, made the effort to read through the Linux instructions to find out what to do.

Thank you for seeing that! I just corrected it.
    Update 08/23/15: Per my prior post, I used Aldolfo's instructions to flash to the Android M developer ROM using Mac OS X. I faced a couple of buggy issues (e.g. SwiftKey keyboard letters appearing smaller than usual, background picture distortions), but I chalked it all up to its beta status. However, I just discovered today that I have no access to mobile data. My phone works otherwise -- no major bugs, my FreedomPop number is "set-up" and makes outbound phone calls (haven't tested inbound calls yet), and my phone recognizes the Sprint network -- but I am not "registered" to the Sprint network.

Any ideas?

I HAVE downloaded the FP apps that were on my phone prior to flashing, but it doesn't seem to make a difference. And I fear calling FP about it.

Worst comes to worst, I'll try flashing 5.1.1 (is that even possible?) and hope for the best.
    I have been unsuccessful getting any Rom other than the stock freedompop Rom to work for data. I have all kinds of issues with their stock Rom too. I'd. Links are blocked on the stock Rom. Go to Google.com and search for a product. Click on one if the links at the top and it's blocked. This I'd blocked on multiple browsers and both of the nexus 5 phones I own.

There have been report of success with other Roms, but I have had no luck. Don't even try cyanogen.
    edited August 2015 #15
    Aldolfo, you are a GENIUS! Updating the profile and PRL worked perfectly and now my data is working.

FYI my Nexus 5 made me go through Settings > Data usage > (Tap the vertical 3-dot line on the upper-right hand corner of the screen) > Cellular networks > Carrier settings > Update profile and Update PRL.

Thanks again, Adolfo! You saved me hours of worrying and work.
    Post edited by Ian Yue on
    Ian Yue said:

Thanks again, Adolfo! You saved me hours of worrying and work.

You are welcome!

I have been unsuccessful getting any Rom other than the stock freedompop Rom to work for data. I have all kinds of issues with their stock Rom too. I'd. Links are blocked on the stock Rom. Go to Google.com and search for a product. Click on one if the links at the top and it's blocked. This I'd blocked on multiple browsers and both of the nexus 5 phones I own.

There have been report of success with other Roms, but I have had no luck. Don't even try cyanogen.

These are public links and should not be blocked. You also need to do this on your computer, not your phone. Sounds like an ISP issue.
    Not an isp issue. It was doing the same thing with both phones.

I put 5.1.1 on this phone and did the prl update and now and it's running great! Thanks so much!
  • deanlideanli Posts: 7FreedomPop Newbie
    Thanks Adolfo. Your instructions seems to work for my nexus 5. It couldn't find the device for a moment, but that was fixed by installing the OEM USB Drivers.
  • deanlideanli Posts: 7FreedomPop Newbie

Ronald, you may want to install the OEM USB drivers.

I put 5.1.1 on this phone and did the prl update and now and it's running great! Thanks so much!

deanli said:

Thanks Adolfo. Your instructions seems to work for my nexus 5. It couldn't find the device for a moment, but that was fixed by installing the OEM USB Drivers.

You are both welcome!
  • Peter MorrisonPeter Morrison Posts: 22FreedomPop Newbie
    I updated using wug to 6.0, since it was the only way to get confirmation that adb recognized my phone on my vista PC. It tooks some time, and gave warnings could not find a couple files, but those issues were noted. It finished with an error of disk space being unavailable, but then I hit "any key". I then shut off the phone and started up and it went through its long initial marshmallow boot up.. I reinstalled the freedom pop app, updated the carrier prl, preferences..and it called out.
  • Binoy AliasBinoy Alias Posts: 8FreedomPop Newbie
    I too updated using wug on 2 nexus 5 phones
  • AndyAAndyA Posts: 17FreedomPop Newbie
    To accomplish the entire flashing procedure, do you really only need to copy the fastboot.exe and adb.exe files to the image directory and execute it there? You don't need any of the other files and subdirectories under Platform Tools?
    AndyA said:

To accomplish the entire flashing procedure, do you really only need to copy the fastboot.exe and adb.exe files to the image directory and execute it there? You don't need any of the other files and subdirectories under Platform Tools?

No, it needs nothing else. But these are the 2 most essential files in Android to do any type of updates to your phone.
  • AndyAAndyA Posts: 17FreedomPop Newbie
    Thanks, Adolfo.
  • chet achet a Posts: 7FreedomPop Newbie
    This is great. I am praying for a nexus 6 guide :)