**Reminder** When you sign up for FreedomPop service we often offer a free trial experience for one of our plans or add-on services. Upon the end of your Trial, you will incur the regular charge for that plan or service. Please take a look at our Community post for more information regarding your recent purchase and what to expect: http://bit.ly/2xFTGWY

Freedompop - nexus 7 2013 wi-fi only

muradin007muradin007 Posts: 2FreedomPop Newbie
Hello all, first time posting here.

I'm really just looking for advice or a guide that outlines what is or isn't possible, and what is required to make such a thing possible. If someone knows of such a page/thread please post that here.

I'm trying to figure out what all is needed to make a nexus 7 2013 (wifi only) work on freedompop's service.

[B]What I've learned / researched [/B]

I have a nexus 7 (2013) wi-fi only model, that and my laptop are the only devices I own. I'm interested in knowing if I can use Freedompop's service (in any capacity) with the nexus 7 I own. I feel like I've done much *much* research and I can't seem to find anything conclusive or one place with consolidated information on what to do.

Some places I have read only the LTE version works.

I have also read people talking about using a widget called PPP. Using that along with what people call an OTG adapter and a powered usb hub. Although I hear that PPP does not work with android 4.3, and PPP Widget 2 is recommended. I also didn't hear anything conclusive on that actually working. I see that PPP Widget 2 was released to the google play store on July 12th, anyone have experience with that?

I saw a post about someone getting a Tab to work, yet that is under the supported tablets on the freedompop website. Nexus 7 is not listed there. http://support.freedompop.com/BYOD/38155866/Can-I-use-FreedomPop-service-with-my-existing-tablet-device.htm

There was a device called freedompop clip that would add connectivity to wi-fi only tablets. Yet, there is no news about it since 2013. Anybody know more about that? - http://www.forbes.com/sites/tomiogeron/2013/02/04/freedompop-plans-lte-clip-to-give-free-internet-to-ipad-android-tablets/

[B]What I want to do[/B]

At it's simplest - I want to use freedompop with my wifi only nexus 7 so that I can occasionally have connectivity on the go, for free.

I am going through all of this in such detail, because I don't want to succumb to a registration and purchase process that results in nothing working. Which then I'd have to go through and cancel accounts and subscriptions. I want to avoid that.

Plainly -

What are the set of steps I must do to get freedompop access with my nexus 7? Is it impossible?

Which freedompop device should I select for this?

Which OTG adapter can I buy that has power injection or a powered usb hub?

Do I need to have the tablet connected to a OTG adapter connected to a powered hub? That feels a bit troublesome and portability prohibiting.

Do I need to root the phone?

Thanks for reading and for your input.

Comments

• Ali Ali Posts: 6,735FreedomPop Master, Test Role, iOS Master ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey @muradin007, we do have Wi-Fi hotspots available for your Wi-Fi Only devices. I personally would recommend the MiFi 5580 LTE.

No rooting or mods are needed :)
  • djinksdjinks Posts: 1,270FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Expert ✭✭✭✭
    @muradin007 there is also a wifi only solution, where you just install the FP WiFi app and make calls over WiFi. The app is named FreedomPop Free Call and Text. You can use it with the MiFi 5580 LTE when you are not around stationary WiFi hotspots.
  • muradin007muradin007 Posts: 2FreedomPop Newbie
    Thank you for your responses!

I took a screenshot to help clarify a few things for me. In the screenshot, I point out that the Freedomspot Overdrive Pro, and Mifi 500 4G LTE both mention

"works with any wifi enabled device"

Does that mean that the Freedomspot Overdrive Pro would also work with my wifi only nexus 7?

Next question (and more a verification of what I'd like to do) -

If I was to sign up for the "Basic 500 MB (4G Only) 500 MB a month for free" for 0$, and then choose either the Freedomspot Overdrive Pro or the Mifi 500 4G LTE -

Would this allow me to use data when there is no wifi available? I'm not so interested in making calls or sending SMS, my primary objective is internet access and Data.

Thank you!