**Reminder** When you sign up for FreedomPop service we often offer a free trial experience for one of our plans or add-on services. Upon the end of your Trial, you will incur the regular charge for that plan or service. Please take a look at our Community post for more information regarding your recent purchase and what to expect: http://bit.ly/2xFTGWY

Why can't I BYOB my new Galaxy S5?

Ken  RichKen Rich Posts: 12FreedomPop Newbie
I just bought a (new to me) Galaxy S5 and tried to BYOB it. FP won't accept it. Why?

Is it because FP isn't set up to handle this phone or the Android Version 5.0?
If so, when does FP plan on doing it?
If not, what do I need to do to try to activate it? (even if it's on a beta basis)

Comments

• Jorge Jorge Posts: 3,375 admin
    Hello @Ken Rich I will have a forum agent take a look into why you are having issues with your S5 activation. Feel free to update your thread after the completion of your request so other users with similar requests can view the steps taken :) Please check the email associated with your forum profile as an agent will contact you. Replying to the email from support can be done as you would a regular email (no need to log-in into Zendesk). :+1:
  • Freedompop4LifeFreedompop4Life Posts: 1FreedomPop Newbie
    I also have a free and clear Sprint Galaxy S5 that shows it can be activated on Ting and RingPlus, but continues to say it can't be activated on FreedomPop. Please let me know what I can do to get it activated. Thanks.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12
    Hello @Freedompop4Life I will have a forum agent assist you on this. Please check the email associated with your forum profile as an agent will contact you. Replying to the email from support can be done as you would a regular email (no need to log-in into Zendesk). :3
  • Ken  RichKen Rich Posts: 12FreedomPop Newbie
    Ken Rich said:

I just bought a (new to me) Galaxy S5 and tried to BYOB it. FP won't accept it. Why?

Is it because FP isn't set up to handle this phone or the Android Version 5.0?
    If so, when does FP plan on doing it?
    If not, what do I need to do to try to activate it? (even if it's on a beta basis)

Follow up:
    I finally tracked down the original owner through the phone data and finally called Sprint. The first time they said I had to have the previous owner tell them to release the phone. It wasn't stolen, didn't have any due bills, but it was still logged on her account. I called her and she said she would do this.

A week later it wasn't done so I called Sprint again. This time the agent told me the previous agent wasn't correct. Even with permission ALL Sprint phones are locked to Sprint and can't be released except for the new ones now coming out (they finally caved in to pressure). She gave me a specific unlock code, but said they couldn't do it for me.

I called FreedomPop about using the unlock coded. They informed me that they wouldn't do that, but if I wanted to send it to some third party to do it that was my choice.

I decide too much is too much. I contacted eBay and got a refund and sent the phone back to the seller.

Final note - DON'T BUY A SPRINT PHONE. They are locked unless someone can pull a rabbit out of their hat and tell us how to do it successfully.
  • Peter TsaoPeter Tsao Posts: 6FreedomPop Newbie
    edited August 2015 #6
    I have a clear Sprint Galaxy S5 but Freedompop continues to say it can't be activated. Please let me know how to get it activated. Thanks.
    Post edited by Peter Tsao on
  • Manoj  PantManoj Pant Posts: 1FreedomPop Newbie
    Same problem here I still can't activate my S5. I called up customer service but no luck yet.
  • Ryan Radford 2Ryan Radford 2 Posts: 633FreedomPop Newbie ✭✭✭
    Try using the meid dec, this should make it work for those of you who coopted this thread
    Want a free lte sim? Message me and ill give you a credit card to purchase it!

Common issues related to FreedomPop Devices:
    https://forums.freedompop.com/discussion/10896/battery-issues-please-read-this#latest

If you are having trouble with the FreedomPop messaging app registering, always try uninstalling it and then reinstalling it. If that doesn't work download push notification fixer (no root) from the play store. make sure both intervals are set to 5 minutes and click apply.

I don't work for FreedomPop
  • Ron LTE VOICE SIMRon LTE VOICE SIM Posts: 261FreedomPop Newbie, FP Flyer ✭✭✭
    Try entering the IMEI DEC instead of the older HEX. It should ask for a UICC ID after that which is the SIM card number.