**Reminder** When you sign up for FreedomPop service we often offer a free trial experience for one of our plans or add-on services. Upon the end of your Trial, you will incur the regular charge for that plan or service. Please take a look at our Community post for more information regarding your recent purchase and what to expect: http://bit.ly/2xFTGWY

How do you enable wireless tethering with Kyocera Hydro Icon?

Kevin EKevin E Posts: 3FreedomPop Newbie
I have the FreedomPop Premium Plus package, which has wireless tethering in the package.

I have not been able to figure out how to enable this on this phone (Hydro Icon).

For other phones, it's usually an option in Settings > Network, but it is not there on the Icon.

I've sent an email to support, but they have not replied in 4 days. HELP!

Comments

• walter greesonwalter greeson Posts: 17FreedomPop Newbie
    same question ....Bueller......Bueller.......Bueller
  • James_in_UtahJames_in_Utah Posts: 243FreedomPop Newbie
    Its not working fof me either. Sent emails. Called tech support. Still no resolution.
  • Ali Ali Posts: 6,735FreedomPop Master, Test Role, iOS Master ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Kevin E Please first update your PRL and Profile settings, then please download FreedomPop Hotspot if it isn't on your phone and activate it.
    I called tech support. They told me to install "Portable Wifi Hotspot" from the playstore. I did that, and it still doesn't work. All this app does is toggle the hotspot on and off, but your device actually has to have the option. This seems to be missing from the Hydro. Under Settings->Wireless & Networks->More there is no entry for Hotspot. When I click on the Portable Wifi Hotspot It flashes a screen that quickly goes away and and there is a message left at the bottom of the screen that says "Turn on Wifi Hotspot". The app does turn off my Wifi connection, which you would kind of expect it to do. But it does not enable the hotspop. Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks,
    James
  • Robert ZimmermanRobert Zimmerman Posts: 95FreedomPop Newbie
    I was going to say that you should follow the Boost Mobile guide, but it tells you to do something that is impossible with the ROM, as it is. There is no Tethering & Portable Hotspot option in Settings -> More... on KitKat (Build: 2.033BT).

I wondered if Kyocera had removed the option from Android 4.4, but if it was originally available in Jellybean. This YouTube video seems to suggest that it is not available in the 1.003BT build, which is Boost's 4.3 ROM (shown at t=1m32s).

I tried messing around with the Portable Wifi Hotspot app on my phone between the rather inconvenient resets and I had the same issue as you - the app would open and immediately close itself.

The user's manual that comes with the Boost version of the phone, however, says that the phone can be used as a hotspot. My guess is that the portable hotspot feature needs to be enabled via the specific Portable Wi-Fi app that the manual describes, or that it must be enabled via build.prop. (Unless Boost and Kyocera were both incredibly lazy and copy-pasted the manual for the T-Mobile Hydro Life, which definitely works as a hotspot and is nearly identical).

As such, I don't think you will be able to use your phone as a hotspot (or, if you can, it will probably require jumping through quite a few hoops). Sorry I don't have better news to deliver.
  • Ali Ali Posts: 6,735FreedomPop Master, Test Role, iOS Master ✭✭✭✭✭
    Guys, for now you can use ClockWorkMod tether to tether for free but USB only and requires no root. Or you can use TrevEMod but that requires rooting!
    edited August 2015 #8
    Ali said:

Guys, for now you can use ClockWorkMod tether to tether for free but USB only and requires no root. Or you can use TrevEMod but that requires rooting!

Ah, yes, I meant that he would be unable to use the WiFi Hotspot feature. The phone is pretty much unrootable, from what I have read, unless you're on 4.3 (which probably kills the TrevEMod solution). As Ali said, ClockworkMod Tether always works very well for USB tethering.

Edit: it appears that it might be an activation issue, if this case remains valid across Sprint/Boost/FreedomPop and phone boundaries. Here's a post that describes the same issue (no Hotspot option in settings) in which the person had to have Sprint deactivate, then reactivate the service on the phone to restore the Hotspot option.
    Post edited by Robert Zimmerman on
  • RHCharlesRHCharles Posts: 3FreedomPop Newbie
    Same issue here. Question then: how do we get FP to address it? Silence so far.
  • Kevin EKevin E Posts: 3FreedomPop Newbie
    Ali - Your post suggests to download "FreedomPop Hotspot" and activate it.

Where would I find that app? It is not in the Play store.

I have tried two other "hotspot" apps .. as suggested above "Portable Wifi Hotspot" that FP's tech support apparently recommended .. and FoxFi. Neither worked.

It would appear that Freedompop is selling this feature that does not work.
  • Stevehuckins@me.com[email protected] Posts: 35FreedomPop Newbie
    Same here. Updated Icon, rooted, root checker confirmed successful root, treve mod installed but "runs with error". Kitkat + Icon = no wifi tether. Also used SQL debugger to change value of tether_dun_... To 0, no joy. I ordered this phone for tethering but now it's just a flashlight. :(
  • Ryan Radford 2Ryan Radford 2 Posts: 633FreedomPop Newbie ✭✭✭
    Bluetooth and USB does work for tethering, it's not what you guys want but it's a solution
    Want a free lte sim? Message me and ill give you a credit card to purchase it!

Common issues related to FreedomPop Devices:
    https://forums.freedompop.com/discussion/10896/battery-issues-please-read-this#latest

If you are having trouble with the FreedomPop messaging app registering, always try uninstalling it and then reinstalling it. If that doesn't work download push notification fixer (no root) from the play store. make sure both intervals are set to 5 minutes and click apply.

I don't work for FreedomPop

Same here. Updated Icon, rooted, root checker confirmed successful root, treve mod installed but "runs with error". Kitkat + Icon = no wifi tether. Also used SQL debugger to change value of tether_dun_... To 0, no joy. I ordered this phone for tethering but now it's just a flashlight. :(

The a possibly relevant excerpt from a post on XDA about enabling tethering for the S4 says the following:
    crawrj said:

Missing Hotspot Option In Settings
    Those of you that have the Hotspot option missing in settings, use the instructions for adding the toggle. Only this time you are going to choose the secure table instead of system. Select * for everything or chameleon_tethereddata. If the value for chameleon_tethereddata is not 3 change it to 3. Reboot the phone and see if Hotspot is showing up now in settings.

I am inclined to believe that this method might have some merit because the network that Hydro Icon uses is called Chameleon, according to the 4G Settings page in About Phone.

As for what that excerpt is talking about, it refers this post about adding a WiFi toggle to the S4, which essentially lists these steps (modified for the hotspot option):
    1. Have root
    2. Download an SQLLite editor
    3. Open the SQLLite editor
    4. Select the Settings Storage database (com.android.providers.settings)
    5. Open settings.db
    6. Select secure
    7. Find or insert the chameleon_tethereddata item
    8. Set the value of chameleon_tethereddata to 3
    I would try this method, but I don't have root and my phone resets itself every couple of minutes when I try to use it. Hopefully it can point someone in the right direction.
    (By the way, it would be cool if you posted about how you got root on KitKat, [email protected]. There isn't very much useful information about rooting 4.4 on XDA.)

And, on a side note, the other chameleon_... settings are apparently located in Chameleon.xml on the carrier partition (which presumably means the /carrier directory), so perhaps something also needs to be set properly there. These settings are named identically to those shown in the settings dump linked in the above list.
    Kingroot on play store and you will also need the Kingo super user app or some other SU app. Thx for the 411. It's sounds promising. I'll check it out right away and post my findings.
    @Robert Zimmerman
    crawrj said:

Find or insert the chameleon_tethereddata item
    Set the value of chameleon_tethereddata to 3

How do you insert an item in SQLite debugger? I have "update, delete, select, from, where, order by and clear. Do you have to have the pay version to insert?

@Robert Zimmerman

crawrj said:

Find or insert the chameleon_tethereddata item
    Set the value of chameleon_tethereddata to 3

How do you insert an item in SQLite debugger? I have "update, delete, select, from, where, order by and clear. Do you have to have the pay version to insert?
    My best guess would be that you need to highlight a cell in the database (possibly empty) to have the insert option appear. Or possibly press and hold a cell for a context menu with the insert option? I can't test my guesses because KingRoot didn't work on my Hydro Icon (I'm not sure it was supposed to be resetting as frequently as it was during the process). At any rate, the tutorial suggests using SQLite Editor so that might be a better option - there's a + symbol that lets you add database entries.
    Oh, the doesn't work BTW. You'll have to stick with using Bluetooth or USB to tether for now

https://forums.freedompop.com/discussion/10896/battery-issues-please-read-this#latest

If you are having trouble with the FreedomPop messaging app registering, always try uninstalling it and then reinstalling it. If that doesn't work download push notification fixer (no root) from the play store. make sure both intervals are set to 5 minutes and click apply.

I'd rather use smoke signals.
    Bluetooth actually uses less power than wifi BTW

• walter greesonwalter greeson Posts: 17FreedomPop Newbie
    @Robert Zimmerman i tried adding under secure and after restart nothing new still no tether option under settings> more... didn't try under system as the dump didn't seam anywhere the same

i tried adding under secure and after restart nothing new still no tether option under settings> more... didn't try under system as the dump didn't seam anywhere the same

Oh well. It was worth a shot. I'll create a new topic if I find an inventive solution, but USB/Bluetooth tethering seem like all we'll be able to use if the root/TrevE Mod solution isn't working.
  • RHCharlesRHCharles Posts: 3FreedomPop Newbie
    This is all very interesting I'm sure to those who are into hacks, and the support I'm getting so far from FP is lame at best. The question remains: How do we get this problem with the Hydro in front of the eyes of those who know exactly what to do about it?
    Like I said this method doesn't work, but Bluetooth and USB tethering still work. Just download pda net on the phone, and pda net tablet on the Android device that you are trying to tether to. Also there is a PC client as well

Has anyone had any luck enabling the hotspot on this phone? I have about a week left on the 30 day trial and if this doesn't get fixed I'll have to send it back.
    I'm very disappointed this issue isn't getting fixed. I called again and they suggested I buy a Samsung S3 for $99. Maybe I will once my trial period is about to expire.
  • Art Z BaldwinArt Z Baldwin Posts: 5FreedomPop Newbie
    I have both the Kyocera Icon and the ZTE Force....no hotspot (and poor cell signal) with the Icon, but the ZTE is rock solid in both the cell signal acquisition and hotspot....stays on 4G all day!