**Reminder** When you sign up for FreedomPop service we often offer a free trial experience for one of our plans or add-on services. Upon the end of your Trial, you will incur the regular charge for that plan or service. Please take a look at our Community post for more information regarding your recent purchase and what to expect: http://bit.ly/2xFTGWY

Random Reboots After Slow KitKat Upgrade (w/ Logcats)

Robert ZimmermanRobert Zimmerman FreedomPop Newbie Posts: 95
I received my C6730 yesterday, charged up the battery to full, then slogged through the phone setup. Near the end, it downloaded a system update (for KitKat) so I let it download and run. The upgrade took about 15 minutes to reach 99%, then stalled out for about 4 hours before finishing (it could have been anywhere between 2 or 4 hours - I left the room and came back to KitKat).

Unfortunately, the phone restarts somewhat randomly now. It did this once during the setup on 4.3, but I assumed that it was a setup thing because it happened shortly after PRL updates. In KitKat, however, the phone appears to restart whenever it has to deal an app embedded in the ROM (Chrome, Maps, the Play Store)... and at various other times that are less repeatable.

I grabbed a few logcats, but I honestly have no idea what to look for in them. The kernel logs have all shown < 3 >[ 263.161756] pagealloc: memory corruption with variations on the timestamp, of course. This spirals into <2>[ 263.164550] kernel BUG at /home/release/FIX/G-81C/SRC/LINUX/android/kernel/mm/debug-pagealloc.c:72! pretty quickly, followed shortly by kernel panic before the phone reboots. Again, I'd try to pair this up with whatever's going on in the logcats, but I have no idea what to look for besides failed allocations.

That being said, this problem has persisted through two Recovery Mode factory resets (cleared the cache, then performed the reset) and a Carrier Reset as well. I have no idea what else to try, so any input would be appreciated. A few recent logcats (12 is filtered with *:W*:S, 13 is raw/not verbose, 14 is filtered with *:E*:S) and kmsg dump are attached for the curious.

Also, if anyone has input on what might have caused the OTA update to take absolutely forever, I'd love to know your thoughts. If there's a possibility that I was the cause of this whole meltdown, I'd like to know how to keep myself from doing it in the future.

Comments

• Brian BartonBrian Barton FreedomPop Newbie Posts: 180
    I'd do a factory reset and if that doesnt help then call it a brick an see if it can be replaced..can't use a phone that randomly restarts.
  • Jorge Jorge Posts: 3,375 admin
    Hello @Robert Zimmerman could you please attempt and confirm the following resets by following the steps listed here: http://www.hardreset.info/devices/kyocera/kyocera-c6730-hydro-icon/
  • Robert ZimmermanRobert Zimmerman FreedomPop Newbie Posts: 95
    edited August 2015 #4
    Jorge M. said:

Hello @Robert Zimmerman could you please attempt and confirm the following resets by following the steps listed here: http://www.hardreset.info/devices/kyocera/kyocera-c6730-hydro-icon/

As noted above, I've already performed several factory resets. But I recorded one on Monday and put the video up on YouTube: http://youtu.be/W2BgBgjam2A. Check the description for timestamps of interest (MEID, factory reset, random reboots, and the full app list).

Sorry it's sideways. YouTube didn't let me rotate this one, though it worked for the one I sent to support.

Edit: I also bought a new battery and swapped it in to see if it that was the problem. Unfortunately, it wasn't.
    Post edited by Robert Zimmerman on
    I would like a response to this.

I cannot use this phone and I have run through the month of service trials. I called tech support on August 31st, as requested by Sheena M. from customer service. I was accused of doing something unsupported by upgrading this phone to KitKat, but the representative said he would forward the information to another department and that they would get back to me in 24-48 hours. I have not received a response, and not a single person has helped with this issue.

Jorge M. responded to my initial post, clearly without ever reading it as I stated that I had performed several factory resets already. After providing visual proof of a reset, if my word is worth nothing, he has yet to respond.

On another note: I would also like to know if upgrading the phone to KitKat was indeed a violation of my warranty. If it was not, whoever I talked to in tech support needs to be informed that they are incorrect. If they were correct, I would like to get in touch with him to apologize for raising my voice.
  • Ryan Radford 2Ryan Radford 2 FreedomPop Newbie Posts: 633 ✭✭✭
    @Robert Zimmerman letting the upgrade to kitkat did not void your warranty, the device was updated using the official means. This has happened to quite a few people(Thankfully not me,I have four of these bad boys) It needs to be RMA'd back to FreedomPop for replacement.

From what I've read it's a fault in the memory that is doing this.
    Want a free lte sim? Message me and ill give you a credit card to purchase it!

Common issues related to FreedomPop Devices:
    https://forums.freedompop.com/discussion/10896/battery-issues-please-read-this#latest

If you are having trouble with the FreedomPop messaging app registering, always try uninstalling it and then reinstalling it. If that doesn't work download push notification fixer (no root) from the play store. make sure both intervals are set to 5 minutes and click apply.

I don't work for FreedomPop
    Just as a mini update to this, I called in and set up an RMA (twice, because it didn't go through the first time for some reason). As such this particular issue has been dealt with, if not fully explained.
  • weanutweanut FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Expert Posts: 309 ✭✭✭
    @Robert Zimmerman glad this is finally getting resolved, & hope you will get your replacement soon. i love my hydro & think you will too.