WiMAX Sunset and other important Information

Ali Ali Posts: 6,705FreedomPop Master, Test Role, iOS Master ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 2015 in News and Updates #1
Sprint is looking to improve their network and complete their Network Vision enhancement project so that the network is more robust, stable, and able to have more capacity. As a result, this will mean the 4G WiMAX network will "sunset" or cease to operate on November 6th 2015. If you have a WiMAX device, it will not be able to connect to the WiMAX network after this date.

If you have one of the following devices, they will cease to operate completely:

Freedom Spot Photon
Freedom Spot Photon Platinum Edition
Freedom Stick Bolt
Freedom Hub Burst
Freedom Hub Burst Black Edition

If you have one of these devices, they will cease to operate on the 4G network and as a result you will get 3G service only:

Freedom Spot MiFi 4082
Freedom Spot Overdrive
Freedom Spot Overdrive Pro
Freedom Stick 250U
Freedom Stick u600/u602
Freedom Stick u301
HTC EVO 4G
HTC EVO Design
Samsung Galaxy SII Epic 4G Touch

If you have one of the above Wi-Fi Hotspots or Data cards that support 3G service only after November 6th, you will no longer have a free plan if you continue to use 3G only. If you have a phone, you will receive 3G only for free.

Please be advised that all devices listed were sold by FreedomPop. If you have a BYOD phone that supports WiMAX, that feature will no longer work.
Post edited by Ali on

Comments

• johnmjohnm Posts: 99FreedomPop Newbie
    Thanks for not answering my question
    as always
  • Cynthia MulkeyCynthia Mulkey Posts: 2FreedomPop Newbie
    I have the Photon. I got it so that when I am traveling, I can have internet access. I am about to take another trip and would like to have internet service while traveling (I will be taking a bus). To this day, I have not been able to connect to the internet unless I'm home & it goes through my router. Now I see I will not be able to use it after Nov 6. And I have a lot of accumulated time because I haven't used it. Anyway, my trip is Aug 27, so I should still be able to use it on my trip. Can you help?
    Thanks
  • djinksdjinks Posts: 1,270FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Expert ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2015 #5
    I called the number and got sales, who promptly transferred me to tech support (over my objection). Tech Support did not think they should handle the call either. Better training required in sales I suppose. I should also mention there was virtually no hold time to get to sales.

Anyway, tech support did contact the back office to determine what could be done and , after some hold time, said I could purchase a MiFi LTE for $79.99.
  • Ali Ali Posts: 6,705FreedomPop Master, Test Role, iOS Master ✭✭✭✭✭
    @johnm You did not ask a question in this post so as a result I am not sure what you are talking about

@Cynthia Mulkey You should be able to use it for your trip assuming there is coverage at the locations you will be using your device in, please check coverage at FreedomPop.com/Coverage. Your device uses WiMAX :)

@djinks I agree, sales does have some issues regarding call handling. The swap is in their department but looks like they don't care.
  • Sunil SahaiSunil Sahai Posts: 1FreedomPop Newbie
    I got an email for a "free" Franklin stick to replace my Freedom Bolt due to the WIMAX sunset, but when I go to the web page for the free device, it is telling me that I will be charged $4 a month for service. Is it possible to retain the free service on 3G speeds? I don't want to pay the $4 a month that it is forcing me to do.
    @Sunil Sahai Unfortunately there isn't a way around the $3.99 monthly. I found a method that initially worked but FreedomPop patched that loophole fast!
  • Tracy MillsTracy Mills Posts: 4FreedomPop Newbie
    I don't have any service now and haven't for 3 days even though I paid for data. I have a freedompop photon. Has the sun "set" already?
  • Tracy MillsTracy Mills Posts: 4FreedomPop Newbie
    Please consider sending an email letting users know that their devices will no longer work. I just got off the phone with customer service which is obviously being outsourced now. When I asked about the service being discontinued as of November 6th, the rep would neither confirm nor deny. The right thing to do is to let people know so they can get service elsewhere. The rep just wanted to sell me a phone. I wouldn't have even known that the service was going to be discontinued, but I was without internet for 3 days. My account was "suspended" for the first time since I started using the service well over a year ago.
  • Michael  LumMichael Lum Posts: 1FreedomPop Newbie
    I have a hub burst. I called customer service (the number above), and he told me there was no swap program.I talked to another customer service person, and he told me that there was a swap program but not available for the hub burst. He then offered the mifi lite for $79.99. I'm getting conflicting information. Could you please post details about what devices can be swapped and details about the loyalty program? Thanks!
    Ali said:

@johnm You did not ask a question in this post so as a result I am not sure what you are talking about

@Cynthia Mulkey You should be able to use it for your trip assuming there is coverage at the locations you will be using your device in, please check coverage at FreedomPop.com/Coverage. Your device uses WiMAX :)

@djinks I agree, sales does have some issues regarding call handling. The swap is in their department but looks like they don't care.

@Ali
    I am the person who began the subject right before your big new Discussion, here. I asked several questions which you have circumvented as always. I want meaningful conversation, NOT a dead end email or dead end cust service. I've emailed ALL of them, called them, and it's like it always has been, know one knows anything, only You seem to have answers and You don't really, you have given deadends, so. I want to know what I might be offered for my 6 WiMax devices and is anyone ever going to admit the trade in prices are HIGHER than any special anywhere outside Freedompop.
  • Charles aol MorganCharles aol Morgan Posts: 4FreedomPop Newbie
    I stopped using my overdrive pro many months ago. I did not have good $G coverage so I bought a cheap phone instead and dropped 3G from my Overdrive account. I just use it as a data bank for my cheapo phone.
    @johnm I wasn't aware of any discussion you posted until now. I was just asked to make this post, that's it.

I did provide an email address and a support number you can use to contact customer service directly to get started with your trade in.

Please remember that flaming will not be tolerated and if you continue to do so you may receive a suspension from the forums.
  • Matthew BrownMatthew Brown Posts: 1FreedomPop Newbie
    If I do nothing with my Freedom Spot Photon, what happens to my original deposit? If I cancel (on or around November), do I even need to bother sending this back--it's worthless at that point.
  • Ryan Radford 2Ryan Radford 2 Posts: 633FreedomPop Newbie ✭✭✭
    @Matthew Brown I think you can get that deposit back by contacting
    customer support.
    Want a free lte sim? Message me and ill give you a credit card to purchase it!

Common issues related to FreedomPop Devices:
    https://forums.freedompop.com/discussion/10896/battery-issues-please-read-this#latest

If you are having trouble with the FreedomPop messaging app registering, always try uninstalling it and then reinstalling it. If that doesn't work download push notification fixer (no root) from the play store. make sure both intervals are set to 5 minutes and click apply.

I don't work for FreedomPop
  • Larry DozierLarry Dozier Posts: 1FreedomPop Newbie
    I have 2 devices, both are registered and paid by me with 2 different email accounts. One is a Photon Platinum with 10G paid quarterly until October 13. The other is a MiFi 5580 with 2G paid monthly which when connected says Sprint Spark LTE. Instead of upgrading the photon to a MiFi, how do I change the data already paid on Photon over to the MiFi I already have? I'd like to cancel the Photon without losing paid data.
    Ali said:

@johnm I wasn't aware of any discussion you posted until now. I was just asked to make this post, that's it.

I did provide an email address and a support number you can use to contact customer service directly to get started with your trade in.

Please remember that flaming will not be tolerated and if you continue to do so you may receive a suspension from the forums.

@Ali
    I've sent 3 emails to [email protected] : subject: Swap to LTE - no answer
    I called [email protected] 888-915-2647 ex.2 I spoke with Luigi and Jake. They told me they have NO swap to LTE program and NO loyalty discount and the only LTE device is a MiFi 500 @ $189. Really not a remotely good deal.
    I understand your position as being the middleman in relating information. I guess there is a disconnect.
    emails sent with NO answer to [email protected] subject : Swap to LTE
  • weanutweanut Posts: 309FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Expert ✭✭✭
    @johnm please start a new thread about your specific issue. a freedompop administrator will get you set up with customer service. that is how it is supposed to work, from my understanding it usually does. thanks for your patience, i hope you get this resolved soon. i have heard that emails & calls are not the best way to go :)
    @johnm I can understand, I'm sure @Jorge M. is able to create a ticket if you make a new discussion and most likely you'll be offered a MiFi 500 LTE for $79.99
  • Iolaire McFaddenIolaire McFadden Posts: 119FreedomPop Newbie
    johnm said:

emails sent with NO answer to [email protected] subject : Swap to LTE

@johnm keep in mind @ali is another user and is not with freedompop so he is not able to help with this issue...

• thedamianthedamian Posts: 41FreedomPop Newbie
    Any updates on option to upgrade from WIMAX to LTE?

Because we all know that a $300 OFF coupon wouldn't be worth much if we are talking about MSRP prices. I mean at that price the $150 Galaxy S4 would cost you $300 more dollars.

does anyone understand this?
  • chet achet a Posts: 7FreedomPop Newbie
    is there a way to just cancel the device/free service? i dont want to pay for using my u301
This discussion has been closed.