Seriously, Why is there a throttle after 6GB of data usage?

James SewellJames Sewell Posts: 67FreedomPop Newbie ✭✭✭
Advertisement and my plan states 256kbps after 1GB of high speed data?

Where is that 6GB extra softcap mentioned? If it is based on usage...congestion is not 24/7.

After 6GB of data usage I am throttled to 56kbps speed 24/7 and congestion doesn't last all day long for several days. It has been this way the last couple of months since the new plans were implemented.

Where is the transparency?

Comments

• Ali Ali Posts: 6,705FreedomPop Master, Test Role, iOS Master ✭✭✭✭✭
    It appears that this has been implemented so that network conditions aren't congested for people who haven't used much data.

Imo this is ridiculous and we need to petition this to be changed if we're going to get far.
  • Moises CardonaMoises Cardona Posts: 46FreedomPop Newbie
    Well after cancelling and reactivating my service I am stuck with 128kb throttle but then after 6GB it also goes down to 56kb which is ridiculously slow. As @James Sewell mentioned there is no mention of the 6GB cap in place but it is evident they are further throttling down the speed. This is ILLEGAL since they don't mention this anywhere and it is RIDICULOUS because what can I do with 64kb? NOTHING. So please eliminate this throttle and let us use our 128/256kb throttling to its maximum speed.
  • Rich Sias (16th)Rich Sias (16th) Posts: 3,352FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Master, FreedomPop Expert ✭✭✭✭✭
    If only 30% of paying customers would join us 'free' accounts and quit paying and give throttling as reason to be only in free account, that should speak VOLUMES more than a million messages complaining.
    Then seek out a 'free' dialup account. At least it's a bit faster than FP.
    Be my Valentine ZTE, Victory, LG Volt, 803S, & 4 SIMs
  • Ron LTE VOICE SIMRon LTE VOICE SIM Posts: 263FreedomPop Newbie, FP Flyer ✭✭✭
    I hate it when stuff like this happens. I don't see anything about a second soft cap, but in real world conditions I doubt I'd be able to tell the difference between Sprint's 128k and 56k streams. Both of them are going to end up running about 32-64kbps on the downlink, which is just awful. As far as the plans go, it does say on the Unlimited Data Plan page that after June 1, 2015 all unlimited throttling is going to be at 128kbps... It would be interesting to hear if the soft cap is listed anywhere else or if 6GB puts you in the "detrimental to network conditions" group that can be throttled or cut off. According to the FP Unlimited page throttling is handled as follows:

"Speed reductions will be applied according to the date you began your Unlimited Everything plan subscription. If you subscribed to our Unlimited Everything plan before June 1st, 2015 - your speeds will reach UP TO 256 kbps after your initial data threshold. For subscribers who added their Unlimited Everything plan after June 1st, 2015 - your speeds will reach UP TO 128 kbps after your initial data threshold. - *Actual speeds may vary."

So, what they are saying here is that after 1GB you are throttled to 128kbps, not after 6GB... A 128kbps soft throttle will result in real world speeds of 30-64kbps since much of the bandwidth is lost in noise and Sprint's poor network quality. In defense of FP, they are very clear on this on the unlimited plan page - in fact much clearer than T-Mobile or the other throttling carriers around. The question is, where's the mention of the 6GB mark?

That said, I feel for you losing that 256kbps stream after your 1GB since that would have meant real world speeds closer to 150kbps, which would be enough to do more than browse WAP pages on a mobile browser. Hopefully a FP Admin can do something to get you back to that Pre-June throttle instead of the current one.

Here's a link to the page for clarification: http://support.freedompop.com/Data-Plans/34245924/Unlimited-Data-Plans.htm

Any admins want to find us an answer on this one?
  • James SewellJames Sewell Posts: 67FreedomPop Newbie ✭✭✭
    @Ron Hotmail - GS3 T-mobile is pretty clear in the terms of service about being de-prioritized after 21gb ... but that is during congestion. And obviously you can't run a server where people are using up 2000GB per month which is pretty much 24/7 usage of netflix in HD.

congestion and de-prioritization is not 24/7...FP does it after 6gb usage and drops you from 256k to 56k for the rest of the month. it's a violation of open internet for that secret 6gb throttle that is 24/7....i should have 256k speed at 1am or 6am, but that's not the case.