**Reminder** When you sign up for FreedomPop service we often offer a free trial experience for one of our plans or add-on services. Upon the end of your Trial, you will incur the regular charge for that plan or service. Please take a look at our Community post for more information regarding your recent purchase and what to expect: http://bit.ly/2xFTGWY

Why are the total spaces of my internal storage and of phone less than the specifications?

Ting LiTing Li FreedomPop Newbie Posts: 25
My Kyocera Hydro Icon has just arrived.

The specifications (http://support.freedompop.com/Phones/Kyocera-Hydro-Icon/63137226/Kyocera-Hydro-Icon-specifications.htm) say that the storage is

> Internal: 8GB, 1.5GB RAM

But my device settings say:

- 4.42GB for total space of INTERNAL STORAGE, (is this for "Internal Memory"?)

- 1GB for total space of PHONE

Is INTERNAL STORAGE the same as "Internal Memory"?

Is PHONE the same as "RAM"?

Why are both less than the specifications?

Thanks.

Comments

• Ryan Radford 2Ryan Radford 2 FreedomPop Newbie Posts: 633 ✭✭✭
    RAM stands for Random Access Memory, basically everything that you do on the phone run in the RAM, From your apps, games and videos to the OS itself

The Storage space is where everything sits until it's ready to be transferred to the RAM to be used, and then transferred back when it's not needed anymore

Part of the 8GB of storage space is taken up by the partition table, OS(Android in this case) and various other things that are required to make android run.

the 4GB that is left is yours to store any apps, games, music, picture, videos, ect...

This is a budget device, as a result it's not going to have the level of hardware that a top of the line android phone(Samsung Galaxy S5) has, I would suggest that you look into purchasing an SD Card for extra storage space.

People do seem to forget that mobile devices are computers.

Want a free lte sim? Message me and ill give you a credit card to purchase it!

Common issues related to FreedomPop Devices:
    https://forums.freedompop.com/discussion/10896/battery-issues-please-read-this#latest

If you are having trouble with the FreedomPop messaging app registering, always try uninstalling it and then reinstalling it. If that doesn't work download push notification fixer (no root) from the play store. make sure both intervals are set to 5 minutes and click apply.

I don't work for FreedomPop
  • WeAreNotAloneWeAreNotAlone FreedomPop Newbie Posts: 61
    Device manufacturers tend to quote sizes of things in a "pre-formated state", typically subtract 10% IIRC.

On the internal storage.
    Think "Hard drive". It's were the OS and user files reside.

As a example on a LG Optimus Exceed 2 (VS450PP) I picked up it is spec'd at 4GB storage..
    Upon booting it up straight out of the box = 1.8GB free
    After letting it "update" straight out of the box = 1.2GB free

On the ram, don't know about the particulars beyond that on certain phones that go by the same name, sold thru different carriers will be spec'd different. As a example a Nokia 635 comes in both 512mb and 1Gb versions... depending on which carrier it came thru.

As all the phones FreedomPOP gets are used, above might apply.

PS: I just checked a Kyocera Hydro VIBE (C6725) which is the sister unit to the ICON which was purchased brand new thru VM.

4.42 Internal space, 2.93 GB avaible
    Ram of phone instead of showing 1.5GB says 1.00GB, 802mb available.

• Ting LiTing Li FreedomPop Newbie Posts: 25
    1. Is "1GB for total space of PHONE" (reported by my device) part of the RAM?

What are the 1GB and the other part (1.5-1) GB used for?

The 1GB is not the free space in the RAM, is it?

2. On a newly arrived certified pre-owned Hydro Icon, Is "4.42GB for total space of internal storage" (reported by my device) normal? That is, is it normal for the partition table, OS(Android in this case) and various other things that are required to make android run take up the rest i.e. (8-4.42)GB?

3. How can we find out the actual total space of RAM and the actual total space of the internal storage on the device, so that I can verify the specifications of 1.5GB RAM and 8GB internal storage?

Thanks.

• Robert ZimmermanRobert Zimmerman FreedomPop Newbie Posts: 95
    edited August 2015 #5
    Ting Li said:

1. Is "1GB for total space of PHONE" (reported by my device) part of the RAM?

What are the 1GB and the other part (1.5-1) GB used for?

The 1GB is not the free space in the RAM, is it?

2. On a newly arrived certified pre-owned Hydro Icon, Is "4.42GB for total space of internal storage" (reported by my device) normal? That is, is it normal for the partition table, OS(Android in this case) and various other things that are required to make android run take up the rest i.e. (8-4.42)GB?

3. How can we find out the actual total space of RAM and the actual total space of the internal storage on the device, so that I can verify the specifications of 1.5GB RAM and 8GB internal storage?

Thanks.

1. The 1GB partition is used for everything but your apps (downloads, music, pictures, etcetera). The 4.XX GB partition is used for app (and app data) storage.
    2. Yes, that is normal. I can take a screenshot of what my Hydro Icon says if you'd like visual confirmation. It underwent a factory reset recently.
    3. You can use an app like CPU-Z or Hardware Info to view your system information. But be warned that they will only show usable storage space (non-system partitions), so you will not be able to see/verify the full 8GB.
    Edit: formatting for clarity
    Post edited by Robert Zimmerman on
  • Ting LiTing Li FreedomPop Newbie Posts: 25
    @Robert Zimmerman:

I learned that there are two types of storage: RAM for main memory, and internal storage for secondary storage.

So my first question in the last comment is

Is "1GB for total space of PHONE" (reported by my device) part of the RAM, or part of the internal storage?

If it is part of the RAM (which is 1.5GB in the website specifications), what are the 1GB and the other part (1.5-1) GB used for?

The 1GB (reported by my device) seems to be a constant or changes relatively slowly. I guess it is not the free space in the RAM (which is changing dynamically), is it?

I can show you my screen shot here:

"Internal Storage"

"Phone"

• Robert ZimmermanRobert Zimmerman FreedomPop Newbie Posts: 95
    Ting Li said:

@Robert Zimmerman:
    I learned that there are two types of storage: RAM for main memory, and internal storage for secondary storage.

So my first question in the last comment is

Is "1GB for total space of PHONE" (reported by my device) part of the RAM, or part of the internal storage?

If it is part of the RAM (which is 1.5GB in the website specifications), what are the 1GB and the other part (1.5-1) GB used for?

The 1GB (reported by my device) seems to be a constant or changes relatively slowly. I guess it is not the free space in the RAM (which is changing dynamically), is it?

The 1GB storage partition is not part of your RAM. It is used storage for your personal files (documents, music, movies, etcetera).

To explain what is going on a little better: Kyocera chose to cut the usable device storage (what was left after Android was installed) into two pieces: first, a partition for apps and app data. The app and app data partition is your large (4+ GB partition). Second, they created a partition for user files, settings, and other storage. That is the 1 GB partition. I realize that it seems a little silly for the storage to be divided like this, but that is how Kyocera chose to do it. (If you need more than 1GB of space to store your personal files, I would recommend purchasing a microSD card. The Hydro Icon can handle up to a 32GB Class-10/UHC-1 microSD card.)

As for your RAM, you will not be able to interact with it, but you can see how Android is utilizing your RAM by navigating to Settings, opening the Apps item, and swiping to the Running tab.