**Reminder** When you sign up for FreedomPop service we often offer a free trial experience for one of our plans or add-on services. Upon the end of your Trial, you will incur the regular charge for that plan or service. Please take a look at our Community post for more information regarding your recent purchase and what to expect: http://bit.ly/2xFTGWY

camera and flashlight not working

Mike PorterMike Porter Posts: 9FreedomPop Newbie
I received my Hydro Icon yesterday and when I tried to open the camera app it showed a black screen with 2 camera buttons, then said "unable to launch camera application". I tried several other camera apps and I get the same message. The flashlight doesn't work either. I already tried a factory reset Any suggestions?

Comments

• Robert ZimmermanRobert Zimmerman Posts: 95FreedomPop Newbie
    Have you tried booting into Safe Mode to see if the issue goes away? This is done by holding the device power button until the Power menu appears, then pressing and holding the "Power Off" option until a "Reboot to Safe Mode" option appears. The phone will reboot and should have "Safe Mode" displayed in the lower left corner of the screen. If your camera app works in Safe Mode, the cause of your issue is likely a third-party app that isn't letting go of the camera when it is in the background.

If you have the Lock Screen set to Face Unlock, you might also try after setting it to Swipe temporarily, restarting your phone, and seeing if the camera works.
  • Mike PorterMike Porter Posts: 9FreedomPop Newbie

Have you tried booting into Safe Mode to see if the issue goes away? This is done by holding the device power button until the Power menu appears, then pressing and holding the "Power Off" option until a "Reboot to Safe Mode" option appears. The phone will reboot and should have "Safe Mode" displayed in the lower left corner of the screen. If your camera app works in Safe Mode, the cause of your issue is likely a third-party app that isn't letting go of the camera when it is in the background.

If you have the Lock Screen set to Face Unlock, you might also try after setting it to Swipe temporarily, restarting your phone, and seeing if the camera works.

yes, tried safe mode with the same result : /

lock screen is set to swipe
  • Robert ZimmermanRobert Zimmerman Posts: 95FreedomPop Newbie
    Hmm. The only other accepted solutions that I have seen for this issue don't seem likely to work in your case:
    • Clear the Camera app data and cache (but the factory reset should have done this)
    • Add a microSD card to increase storage space (you should have 1GB free after the reset)
    • Turn off the phone and press down on the camera lens, hoping it will reconnect (which just seems like a bad idea)
    You could always try the CyanogenMod camera fix, but it requires root and is unlikely to work if a soft reset doesn't fix the issue.
  • Jorge Jorge Posts: 3,376 admin
    Hello @Mike Porter if you could please attempt to "force stop and clear data" for the camera app on your device through your settings > application manager > Apps. Please keep us updated if the issue is still present upon doing so, thanks.
  • Mike PorterMike Porter Posts: 9FreedomPop Newbie
    Jorge M. said:

Hello @Mike Porter if you could please attempt to "force stop and clear data" for the camera app on your device through your settings > application manager > Apps. Please keep us updated if the issue is still present upon doing so, thanks.

still not working. I did just about everything you could do; RTN reset, factory reset, force stop and clear, tried different apps, nothing can connect to the camera. im 99% certain the camera module isn't working, I'm going to try to return it, and won't be surprised if I never see the phone again.