**Reminder** When you sign up for FreedomPop service we often offer a free trial experience for one of our plans or add-on services. Upon the end of your Trial, you will incur the regular charge for that plan or service. Please take a look at our Community post for more information regarding your recent purchase and what to expect: http://bit.ly/2xFTGWY

Anyone Happy with this phone?

James_in_UtahJames_in_Utah Posts: 243FreedomPop Newbie
Hi,
Just bought the Victory LTE as a replacement for my Kyacera Hydro Icon. The Hydro would not be a hotspot, which was a requirement for me. I'm sending the Hydro back, and just ordered the Victory. Other than not being water resistant, the phones look similar. Does the victory update android versions, or does it stay at 4.1? The Hydro updated itself from 4.3 to 4.4 when I first turned it on. Has anyone had a positive experience with the Victory?

Comments

• Brian BartonBrian Barton Posts: 180FreedomPop Newbie
    Mine has always worked not giving me any problems. Works perfectly fine as a hotspot and it rooted easy. Also it doesn't update past 4.1.2. Just don't install to many applications and it will work just fine. Also disabling some unused apps gives it a bit more of a boost.
  • James_in_UtahJames_in_Utah Posts: 243FreedomPop Newbie
    Thanks for the feedback. Do you have to root it to turn on the hotspot? The phone is unlocked, and no contract, so exactly what are the benefits of rooting it? FP tech support assured me several times that this phone could be a hotspot. By the way, any idea where FP tech support is located? I'm thinking not Indiana.
  • gezafischgezafisch Posts: 86FreedomPop Newbie

Thanks for the feedback. Do you have to root it to turn on the hotspot? The phone is unlocked, and no contract, so exactly what are the benefits of rooting it? FP tech support assured me several times that this phone could be a hotspot. By the way, any idea where FP tech support is located? I'm thinking not Indiana.

When i got my victory it didnt tether. FP told me it just wasnt going to work. So i rooted mine and installed Treve tether mod. You can PM if you need help rooting and flashing a custom recovery. Rooting allows you to remove bloatware and improve performance and of course, tether AKA hotspot.
    Geza
    @gezafisch, I tried sending you a message, not sure it worked. Let me know if you didn't get anything. I called back to FP, both sales, and tech support, and they both say it will work. I'm sure they have no clue.
  • Brian BartonBrian Barton Posts: 180FreedomPop Newbie
    Exactly as geza says. I rooted then tethering worked. Just Google treve mod pretty much also towelroot is how I rooted. Flashify is the easiest way to flash a custom recovery. A custom rom isn't really recommend because of some things fr3dompop needs I think. I heard it causes 1x problems. Be warned it voids the warranty when you root.

@gezafisch, I tried sending you a message, not sure it worked. Let me know if you didn't get anything. I called back to FP, both sales, and tech support, and they both say it will work. I'm sure they have no clue.

@James_in_Utah I PM'd you full instructions on how to root and install recovery. I assumed that you dont know much about rooting so i wouldnt miss anything that could be potentially important. No insult intended.
    Geza
    Thanks for the info. I'm still hoping that for some strange reason my phone will be a hotspot when it shows up in a day or two. I don't understand why FP sells a service, the Premium Plus package, which includes Hotspot Tethering, on phones that don't support being a hotspot. FP tech support over the phone is useless for resolving this. If all else fails, I will give your instructions a try and if it doesn't work, or bricks the phone, then I'll send it back. If I can't get the hotspot working I don't want the phone anyway.
    Thanks again!
    @James_in_Utah

You might want to use my method even if FP hotspot does work because the tethering that fp gives you is limited to the first gigabyte on the unlimited data plan which is the plan that i assume you would be getting. My method doesnt have a limit.

Geza