**Reminder** When you sign up for FreedomPop service we often offer a free trial experience for one of our plans or add-on services. Upon the end of your Trial, you will incur the regular charge for that plan or service. Please take a look at our Community post for more information regarding your recent purchase and what to expect: http://bit.ly/2xFTGWY

Two huge issues- no wireless tether and only 1GB free space

Young J KyoceraYoung J Kyocera Posts: 2FreedomPop Newbie
So I received the Kyocera Hydro Icon unit today and it already has two strikes against it.

1. No wireless tether. I looked up this issue to find a fix, no avail. And I have a paid tether upgrade, which is useless. And I don't want to carry a cable or root the phone, thank you.

2. Only 1GB of usable free space is a joke. Why is 8GB even mentioned as the amount of available space? I understand the OS, apps and other things will take up some (and I'd have been ok with even 2 or 3GB of free space) but only 1GB available? That's nonsense. Making a microSD slot available doesn't excuse this at all.

What a disappointment in an otherwise good phone.

Comments

• jcdaw99jcdaw99 Posts: 7FreedomPop Newbie
    1gb of usable free space in a $40 phone is not a joke. 32gb sd cards can be had from eBay for around $10, instantly putting you on par with more expensive phones for a fraction of the cost, except for edge cases that you shouldn't be using this phone for anyways, like huge video games.

Wireless tether does sound like a problem, I can't help you with that one. Know that rooting is easy, however. You still shouldn't have to.
  • Brian BartonBrian Barton Posts: 180FreedomPop Newbie
    I was able to clear my phone so it has 3.5gb and the extra 1gb but I don't really use the space because with a sdcard installed the OS allows everything to put onto the sdcard by selecting it in storage as primary.
  • Ryan Radford 2Ryan Radford 2 Posts: 633FreedomPop Newbie ✭✭✭
    Bluetooth and usb tethering do work. I usually root my phones if I can as soon as I get them, but in this case I don't believe you need root to use Bluetooth tethering. If you are tethering to another android device you need foxfi on the icon and pdanet tablet on the device you are using. There is a windows client as well. As far as the storage you have just over 4GB available to use for apps, games, videos, and music. An sd card will give you extra storage.
    Want a free lte sim? Message me and ill give you a credit card to purchase it!

Common issues related to FreedomPop Devices:
    https://forums.freedompop.com/discussion/10896/battery-issues-please-read-this#latest

If you are having trouble with the FreedomPop messaging app registering, always try uninstalling it and then reinstalling it. If that doesn't work download push notification fixer (no root) from the play store. make sure both intervals are set to 5 minutes and click apply.

I don't work for FreedomPop
  • Brian BartonBrian Barton Posts: 180FreedomPop Newbie
    Ryan That's on 4.3 right?
  • jcdaw99jcdaw99 Posts: 7FreedomPop Newbie

I was able to clear my phone so it has 3.5gb and the extra 1gb but I don't really use the space because with a sdcard installed the OS allows everything to put onto the sdcard by selecting it in storage as primary.

Not necessarily a good idea since an external sd will be slower. But you should be able to install your apps to the internal storage and store all your media on the SD card.
  • TeXcoderTeXcoder Posts: 26FreedomPop Newbie
    edited September 2015 #7
    This is what I did to enable WiFi tethering. It involves the use of a sketchy rooting tool that I put on my phone briefly and wouldn't have done on a more valuable device. I am not advising anyone to do this, just sharing what I did.

-------------------
    ROOT - http://zidroid.com/how-to-get-ride-and-replace-kinguser-with-supersu-app/

Install the following apps:
    * KingRoot (sketchy)
    * Terminal Emulator
    * ES File Explorer

Download http://www.mediafire.com/download/mxzbt42xypvn2ts/Replace_Kinguser_with_SuperSU-v2.4.zip

Use ES File Explorer to extract `Replace_Kinguser_with_SuperSU-v2.4.zip` to the directory `/sdcard/`.

Open Terminal Emulator, and run /sdcard/mrw/root.sh as su:
    >>su
    >>sh /sdcard/mrw/root.sh

Once prompted to update SU binary, select NORMAL, not TWRP/CWM.

Reboot once prompted.

-------------------
    WIFI TETHER ROUTER - by Fabio Grasso

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.snclab.wifitetherrouter
    Post edited by TeXcoder on
    edited September 2015 #8
    I can confirm that this works on Android 4.4.2, which for most of us is the thing that is keeping us from using the Wi-Fi apps, this app costs $2.80 but that's a small price to pay.

@TeXcoder what is smart app manager used for

https://forums.freedompop.com/discussion/10896/battery-issues-please-read-this#latest

If you are having trouble with the FreedomPop messaging app registering, always try uninstalling it and then reinstalling it. If that doesn't work download push notification fixer (no root) from the play store. make sure both intervals are set to 5 minutes and click apply.

@Ryan Radford , I think I tried that before ES and forgot to remove from the list, so thanks for pointing that out. Are all of the Icons currently being sold by FreedomPop upgradeable go 4.4.2? Which are the ones being held back?
  • Art BaldwinArt Baldwin Posts: 9FreedomPop Newbie
    edited September 2015 #10
    worked for me! have hotspot now ....had a couple of stumbles, but got there in the end...used "Root android without a PC" app as a source for Kingroot, and "wifi tether router" app...worth the price

hint: be sure to grant su rights to the terminal
    (I also had a lot of fails as I ran the script, but it completed)
    Post edited by Art Baldwin on
    I also agree with everyone about storage. The 4 GB internal is more than enough to handle the select apps I care about speed in. I paid $10 cor a 32 GB class 10 microSD, which stores most apps and all app data, media, etc.
    As far as I'm aware all of the hydro icon's can be upgraded to 4.4.2, but there are some reports that the update is bricking their phones. All of mine are on 4.4.2 with no issues except for tethering

• Fustete FusteteFustete Fustete Posts: 22FreedomPop Newbie
    Has anyone figured out how to accomplish USB tethering with this phone?

From what I've read on the different search engines, I don't believe it's possible.

However, the phone does have a "usb0" network interface that will accept an IP No. from an adb root shell instance with "ifconfing" or "ip route add."

It may be that there are no desk/laptop drivers for any operating system. The factory Kyocera Windows driver lists a USB "ADB" device, but no USB network interface after installation.

It may be an Android 4.4.2 issue.

It'd be great if someone with greater knowledge takes a look at it and confirms the impossibility or finds a way to get it to work.

--
    Fustete
  • Robert ZimmermanRobert Zimmerman Posts: 95FreedomPop Newbie
    edited September 2015 #14
    If USB tethering isn't working, you can try enabling the "Phone as Modem" option on your phone. You can do so by following the steps below:
    • Download Kyocera MSL Reader from Google Play
    • Open the app and tap "Get MSL", which will show you your MSL code in a Toast notification.
    • Open your Dialer and enter ##3424#, then enter your MSL code.
    • Tap "Phone as Modem" and select "Enable", then restart your phone.
    After completing the above steps, "Phone as Modem" appears in the "More..." section of the Wireless & Networks menu in Settings. I can't test it myself, because my phone resets itself every few minutes, but the new menu suggests that if you have USB connected, you can check the "Phone as Modem" box to tether.

Edit: when you plug in a USB cable, it pops up the PC Connection menu, on which you can select "Phone as Modem" (or Charge Only, Mass Storage, or Media Transfer). The "Phone as Modem" menu in the Wireless & Network settings says "USB connected, check to tether". And my Windows computer installed the Kyocera USB Modem driver upon plugging the phone in.

---

If none of that works, most people have found success using the ClockworkMod Tether (no root) app.
    I take my hat off to you, Sir!

It worked like a charm.

Never, in a hundred years, would I have come up or found the solution.

Have it now tethered to a Linux box and will try it on a Windows box next time I have access to one.

Tried to tether it to a MikroTik router, no joy. Mikrotik doesn't recognize it as an Android USB networking device. MT's kernel must be missing a driver that works with Android 4.4.2 because my LG Viper (4.0.2) tethers fine with MT.

Noticed that the USB networking interface on the phone changed from "usb0" to "ncm0" after enabling "Phone as Modem" mode. Perhaps MT needs a driver for the "NCM" USB network chip on the phone?

Anyways, a million thanks for your invaluable answers.
    --
    Fustete
    (Forgot to say.)

Firewall test on "Shields Up" (grc.com) resulted in "Perfect Stealth" (did not tweak any firewall settings).

Speed test results from "speedof.me": 25.21 MBPS download and 6.23 MBPS upload -- not too shabby for a $40.00 phone and free broadband.
    --
    Fustete
  • S MPS MP Posts: 350FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Expert ✭✭✭
    I have this phone on order...and can't wait to verify if it has 1GB or 4GB free space available.

I'm curious as to what the confusion or discrepancy could be since so many users say that they have about 4GB?

8GB is the new 4GB...and as android gets bigger and apps get more complex my guess is this will only go up. (Just like with computers)

For the price...this is what I expect.

Even my 16GB Samsung S3 after a year of use is down to only about 6GB free space.
    I'm not an employee...only a volunteer. If you need official assistance:

Freedompop Customer Service numbers-(888) 743-8107---(888) 906-3184---855) 703-5785---(888) 673-8518---888) 915-2647--(888) 731-1555--(888) 701-1353, Monday-Friday 8am-8pm PDT.
  • shakeableTunashakeableTuna Posts: 3FreedomPop Newbie
    S MP said:

I have this phone on order...and can't wait to verify if it has 1GB or 4GB free space available.

I'm curious as to what the confusion or discrepancy could be since so many users say that they have about 4GB?

8GB is the new 4GB...and as android gets bigger and apps get more complex my guess is this will only go up. (Just like with computers)

Even my 16GB Samsung S3 after a year of use is down to only about 6GB free space.

Hey just curious how long ago you ordered? I've got two phones that I ordered on 9/27 and have been stuck in the 2nd step: "Device Allocated" since Monday. Has yours shipped yet?
  • Rich Sias (16th)Rich Sias (16th) Posts: 3,124FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Master, FreedomPop Expert ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't know about the Hydro, but he LG Volt I ordered 3 days ago and is already listed as shipped! The tracking is still unknown by FedEX so far.
    Be my Valentine ZTE, Victory, LG Volt, 803S, & 4 SIMs
  • Marc JosephMarc Joseph Posts: 172FreedomPop Newbie
    S MP said:

It has both. There is about 1 gig available for media, and about 4 gigs available for apps and data. Most, but not all, apps can be moved to the sd card, and of course all media can be stored on the sd card.

S MP said:

Hey just curious how long ago you ordered? I've got two phones that I ordered on 9/27 and have been stuck in the 2nd step: "Device Allocated" since Monday. Has yours shipped yet?
    Nope, mine is still processing.

Freedompop Customer Service numbers-(888) 743-8107---(888) 906-3184---855) 703-5785---(888) 673-8518---888) 915-2647--(888) 731-1555--(888) 701-1353, Monday-Friday 8am-8pm PDT.
    pacoman said:

S MP said:

It has both. There is about 1 gig available for media, and about 4 gigs available for apps and data. Most, but not all, apps can be moved to the sd card, and of course all media can be stored on the sd card.
    That's great! Actually better than the LG Volt I recently got for my son.