can I return my Galaxy S3 (CDMA) and get Galaxy S3 (GSM) unlocked phone ?

I bought Freedompop Samsung Galaxy S3 phone from a Groupon deal. I had no idea at that time whether it will be CDMA or GSM phone as it did not mention.
After I activated phone, i also transferred my number and things we ok as i was at home most of the time. But then, when i went out (still in Los Angeles and Orange county areas) i would not receive some call or will have dropped call (90% of cases). This was annoying. Recently, it happened twice that i could not get any call when at home. I tried calling my phone with my landline phone but it will just ring and ring and i wouldn't get a ring on my cell ... i restarted the phone but it did not help. At all time, it was also connected to my home wifi though ... Later on its own, it started working again. I have reliability issues .. I want to switch but the phone is useless as it is CDMA.
My question is,
1) Can I return my phone ?
2) If not, can i get a similar unlocked GSM phone instead of CDMA one that i got .. so i do not lose money spent on phone ?
Thanks in advance for your time.

Comments

• Richard AllenRichard Allen Posts: 644FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Expert, Porting Master ✭✭✭✭
    @Daxesh Contractor If you are still within the Groupon return window yes you can return it.

Freedompop runs on the Sprint network which is a CDMA only network. If you purchase a GSM only phone it will not work with Freedompop.
  • Daxesh ContractorDaxesh Contractor Posts: 3FreedomPop Newbie
    Thanks Richard for your prompt reply. Unfortunately, the Groupon return timeframe is over otherwise i would not post here.
    I can understand that in remote areas, there might be coverage issues. but in Metro areas if the voice call can not be made or received 90% of the time, there is something seriously wrong with the service.
    I plan to switch to another carrier. My freedompop CDMA phone - Samsung Galaxy S3 will be useless for any other carrier. Let me know if i have any option for my existing phone.
  • Richard AllenRichard Allen Posts: 644FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Expert, Porting Master ✭✭✭✭
    @Daxesh Contractor You do have other options for your phone if it is out of the return period.
    1) Sell your phone on ebay. You might not get the full amount back that you paid for it but something is better than nothing.
    2) Activate the phone on Sprint or a MVNO that uses the Sprint network.

One of the weak points of the FP service is that it is a VOIP system. What that means is when you make and receive calls with FP your are using the Sprint Data network which may not be as stable as using the cellular voice system.

Lets say (for example) you were to activate the phone on either Sprint or Ringplus you would be making calls using Sprint cellular voice.

IF you decide on using one of the options above be sure you deactivate the phone from FP. If the phone is not deactivated from FP the phone will not be able to be activated on another carrier.
  • Ali Ali Posts: 6,735FreedomPop Master, Test Role, iOS Master ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Daxesh Contractor You may be able to contact customer service through (888) 743-8107. FreedomPop does sell GSM handsets for the SIII however you will not get service through it.
  • djinksdjinks Posts: 1,270FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Expert ✭✭✭✭
    @Daxesh Contractor
    Try an Update Profile and Update PRL. That might allow you to make better connections.
  • Daxesh ContractorDaxesh Contractor Posts: 3FreedomPop Newbie
    Richard,
    I just changed my service and transferred the number to a new carrier ... As mentioned by you, can you deactivate or unlock my phone (i'm not sure whether it is called release the ESN or something) so that it can work with sprint or other similar MVNO carriers ?
    Also, as mentioned by you, i will try to sell my phone on eBay ... any advise for me beside resetting the phone to factory default settings ?
    Thanks in advance for your time.
  • djinksdjinks Posts: 1,270FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Expert ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2015 #8
    @Daxesh Contractor
    Richard cannot deactivate your phone. You need a forum admin for that, or call the number Ali mentioned above. Once initiated, the deactivation may take a few weeks, to clear billing. Another thing to do is AFTER the porting has been completed, change your phone number on your FP account. If that is not done, some have found texting on the new carrier with the ported number will not work correctly.
  • Jorge Jorge Posts: 3,380 admin
    Hello @Daxesh Contractor I took a look into your account and it does still appear to be active under a new phone number, please confirm if you would like me to still deactivate your device and cancel your account, thanks :)
  • Rich Sias (16th)Rich Sias (16th) Posts: 3,281FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Master, FreedomPop Expert ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you wanted to experiment with a different MVNO on Sprint, try ringplus.net. They have a service called "Truly Free". 120 Minutes 50 texts 10 MB data. $0 per month. Phone freezes when out of usages. It does not top up with any charges. The next grade up "free phone" has topups to cover overages. No signup fee either. I did an old flip phone, since FP wont bother with 'stupid' phones. It's my backup to backup phone.
    Be my Valentine ZTE, Victory, LG Volt, 803S, & 4 SIMs