**Reminder** When you sign up for FreedomPop service we often offer a free trial experience for one of our plans or add-on services. Upon the end of your Trial, you will incur the regular charge for that plan or service. Please take a look at our Community post for more information regarding your recent purchase and what to expect: http://bit.ly/2xFTGWY

BYOD question and help please on LG Volt

Jisheng XieJisheng Xie Posts: 14FreedomPop Newbie
edited September 2015 in BYOD #1
Just got a brand new Sprint Prepaid LG Volt from Bestbuy.

I tried to do BYOD with my new LG Volt, however, it can't pass the validation in FP. It always says "Sorry....not valid" after I check it, so I can't activate it in FP, I have tried MEID(HEX) MEID(DEC) and ESN, all of them failed to pass the validation. When I try ICCID, it says I have put an invalid Serial Number.

I checked with Sprint today, they say the MEID is valid in their system and is ready to activate. Why can't I pass in FP? Any suggestion to help?

Does this mean I can't activate this phone in FP and I have to get another phone to try?

Thanks in advance.
Post edited by Jisheng Xie on

Comments

• Richard AllenRichard Allen Posts: 644FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Expert, Porting Master ✭✭✭✭
    @Jisheng Xie The requirement for a prepaid phone to be eligible for activation on FP is that the phone is active on the prepaid carrier for 12 months and deactivated for 1 month. If the phone is a Sprint prepaid that is why it is showing as available for activation when you check it on Sprint.

The 12 months active on the prepaid carrier is a carrier requirement and not a FP requirement.
  • Jisheng XieJisheng Xie Posts: 14FreedomPop Newbie
    Thanks Richard Allen. So any new Sprint Prepaid phone can't do it? But I have heard many people do report their new prepaid phones(same model) passed the validation and activated on FP. That's why I got the phone, now I am confused. If that's the case, I guess that I have to return the phone.
    I just checked the MEID on R+ and Ting, it passes on both. So the rule mentioned above seems not apply. However, it still fails on FP. Any more help please?
    edited August 2015 #5
    Well, I tried to activate in FP again, and it PASSED! Now it's activated with a new account with new phone number, then what's next? Some help please. After all setup, I also need someone from FP to help me to swap accounts. Thanks!
    Someone in Freedompop really needs to update the BYOD instructions posted here. First of all, NO MSL code needed any more after activation, please remove that step from the instructions. Second, after activation, just do a PRL update and possible profile update on the phone while connected to the Wi-Fi. Then the third(and the last), download and install Freedompop Messaging app(NOT the text&message app!) and set it as default. Then all should work as expected.
  • Ron LTE VOICE SIMRon LTE VOICE SIM Posts: 261FreedomPop Newbie, FP Flyer ✭✭✭
    @Jisheng Xie The ESN from your device probably hadn't hit the system as purchased yet. Glad it worked out so quickly for you. Just remember though, you were able to activate the device but doesn't mean that FP supports it, or the practice of adding non-activated phones to their system.

As far as the tech end goes, most devices will function just fine with the PRL and Profile updates. The MSL is only needed to make a few under the hood changes to the system settings, which can improve performance on things like voice mail and messaging. You don't have to have it, but the MSL is pretty easy to get, so no major issue getting it and programming with it.

You're right though with how 'easy' the BYOD system is and I hope an Admin like @Jorge M. can help you get swapped quickly.
    Thanks for the update! The swapping is also solved. The phone works great.
  • K S SK S S Posts: 27FreedomPop Newbie
    @Jisheng Xie Let me make sure I understand this. You bought a LG Volt prepaid phone, new, packed and sealed. And you are able to activate it with FP new account as BYOD, is that correct? Do you have to activate it with Sprint first?