**Reminder** When you sign up for FreedomPop service we often offer a free trial experience for one of our plans or add-on services. The free trial lasts for 30 days, after which you will incur the regular charge for that plan or service. Please take a look at our Community post for more information regarding your recent purchase and what to expect: http://bit.ly/2xFTGWY
If you have not recently performed a Carrier Reset to your mobile device, we recommend doing so to ensure that your FreedomPop service is operating to its best capability. This does not cause the loss of any information saved on your mobile device. You can find instructions by selecting the following link: https://support.freedompop.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3017/

For additional topics related to your concern, please visit our online Self-Help Knowledge Base at https://support.freedompop.com

No local numbers, can't port existing number, what to do?

Ron LTE VOICE SIMRon LTE VOICE SIM FreedomPop Newbie, FP Flyer Posts: 193 ✭✭✭
So this is a bit of a painful one... I ordered a killer deal on the Galaxy S3 with a year of mucho-premium service for $135 from Stack Social. I was pretty happy with the deal, but I couldn't get a local number at the time of purchase. I figured it was no big deal as I could just port my number over after the phone arrived and be all set. As I ordered the phone nearly 3 weeks before my next payment was due - silly me for not allowing a full 2 months for it to arrive - I figured I could port my number before my bill was due again. Unfortunately, the system is telling me that I am not eligible to port my number. This is due to the fact that Bandwidth does not have a foothold where my number is registered (area code 360) and there are no local number options available... Nor are there ANY in the entire state of Washington.

I understand that long distance calling is a thing of the past for MANY people out there, but there's something about going to the grocery store and when they ask for your phone number, you give them something from your state, not Oklahoma when you live near Seattle. So, currently I have a beautiful Google Voice number registered in my Area Code that I am using, which includes unlimited calling, texting and voicemail for no charge. Do I just send back my "deal of the decade" or do I keep the $130 expense and the strange phone number that nobody will have? The perks make me want to keep it, but honestly, without having a permanent number attached to it, I don't see a strong reason to keep it.

Anyone else having problems getting local numbers or porting? If so, what was your decision? Overall, I am very happy with the setup I have going between a BYOD and Hangouts, but I really want to make FP my carrier. Anyone?

Comments

• Richard AllenRichard Allen FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Expert, Porting Master Posts: 644 ✭✭✭✭
    @Ron Hotmail - GS3 In order to port a number to your new FP phone the phone MUST have a FP number assigned to it first. So you need to pick any number for your phone then the system should allow you to port your old number to your FP phone.

To verify that you will not have any other issues please check you number using this link

https://republicwireless.com/tools/number-transfer/

Republic wireless (like FP) uses a company called bandwidth.com as their number provider. There are some number that cannot be ported into FP (due to rate center issues). Checking your number with the Republic wireless link above will make sure you do not have any other porting issues/surprises.

If you live in an area where bandwidth has a limited amount of number in your area code you can also try very early in the day to check for numbers. I live in an area that is difficult to get a local number. But, if I check FP say around 7AM sometimes I can find a number.

Please PM me if you would like me to do some research on your number to verify if it can be ported to FP.
  • Ron LTE VOICE SIMRon LTE VOICE SIM FreedomPop Newbie, FP Flyer Posts: 193 ✭✭✭
    Thanks @Richard Allen I took a number with my GS3 when I ordered it, planning on porting my existing one after the phone arrived. I didn't think it would be an issue since I've ported to just about everyone with this number doing testing and such.

So, I ran it through RW and it still comes up as not valid for porting, but RW said they will give me a local number based on my ZIP... Any reason why FP can't? Again, I'm totally fine with a NEW number, but would love to have a 206, 360 or 425 area code to show that I live in Washington state.

I know that my 360-348 number can't be ported in at this point, but I would love to know if there is an option to get something local sooner than later. For now, my GV experiment is working just fine, but like I said, I get all that for free, so why keep that awesome package if I'm not using it?

• Richard AllenRichard Allen FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Expert, Porting Master Posts: 644 ✭✭✭✭
    @Ron Hotmail - GS3 Because Bandwidth.com is used by both RW and FP my guess is that even if you were to get a number with RW (based on your zipcode) I suspect that you would end up with an Oregon number (closest number to your zip). For some reason Bandwidth is very limited on available numbers in the Seattle area.

Best advice I can give you at the moment is to keep trying FP and also try google voice at different times of the day. Possibly a number could show up that is in your area code.

Another option is to install an app called grooveip on your phone and see if you can get a number through them. If you succeed in getting a number in your area code with grooveip that number could be ported to FP. Just be aware if you get a google voice number or a grooveip number it will cost $3 and $5 respectively to port the number out and into FP (+ the $9.99 port in fee from FP).
    My 425 number from Google Voice said it is eligible to port, but after I key it in at FreedomPop it says that they do not port from Google Voice.
    I find that very odd that they will not port a google voice number. In the past I have successfully ported numbers from google voice to FP.
  • SethodineSethodine FreedomPop Newbie Posts: 1
    This is the exact issue I'm facing. When I visited Freedompop's website, I typed in my zipcode just to see if I qualified for service, and since it went to offer me to sign up I thought that meant I could actually get service. While I technically have phone service with my Freedompop phone, it is for an Oregon phone number, and I can't port over my Washington (360) number.

Do we know if this issue will ever be addressed? I'm pretty sure WA is a bigger market than OR, so why can't they get 360 numbers elegible for porting? ARG.
    What it comes down to is that they need to have access to a bank of numbers in the state or area code that you are looking to port your number FROM before they can do it. Essentially, they assign a number to your device that is theirs and forward that number to you on the back end. If there is no number for them to 'forward' from, they can't bring yours into the network. At least that's the explanation that I received in simple English.

My question was, why is my 425 Google Voice number ok to port, but my 360 one was not? Also, my wife has a 206 number issued by the same carrier as my 360 number that could port, but mine couldn't. Finally, I was able to pull my 360 number to RingPlus... but not FP??? Strange happenings!
  • njfulwider5njfulwider5 FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Master, Test Role, FreedomPop Expert, FreedomFan, Android Master , FP Flyer Posts: 10,415 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just glancing threw the post this evening and the Washington Areacodes issue caught my eye.

I have not tried to port anything other than 253---Still waiting on the OK.

But the area code 360 is available every now and than. I have gotten lucky twice when picking numbers. The other 200 times, the only number close enough is 503 and 971. Kinda bytes, but it was explained to me here last year-Had to do with the Call Center Freedompop uses---or it might have been what was available. Somebody even told me once it had to do with the time of day. Said evening is the best time??? Becomes a problem for me when I try and bring other Washington residence to Freedompop. People want the Area code where they live(or close).

I mess with Comcast's Voip service and the other Sprint used Company(virgin Mobile)....Both those seem to find 253/425/360/260 pretty easy. So you'd think there are plenty of area codes out there to share?

Good Luck with the Porting :)

Great Tips and Trick, User Guides and How to's in my Signature-(Take a Peek)

Hope you find any post I have created helpful. Please look for my How to-s(Downgrading-100% Free) and (How to use the FreedomPop Community), or my Guides on FreedomPop Devices(Phones) and (Hotspots). Here is one on (FreedomPop Plans). Here is one on all (FreedomPop Apps). He is one on(Traveling with your GSM Global Sim?) or Common Question about the (GSM Global Sim). You can PM me anytime by clicking this link here njfulwider5. Than click the BUTTON with the (Small Envelope), to left of the word (MESSAGE). I will do my best help. Welcome to FreedomPop