**Reminder** When you sign up for FreedomPop service we often offer a free trial experience for one of our plans or add-on services. Upon the end of your Trial, you will incur the regular charge for that plan or service. Please take a look at our Community post for more information regarding your recent purchase and what to expect: http://bit.ly/2xFTGWY

Why does WIFI data used at home suddenly get charged to cell data?

Douglas MorrillDouglas Morrill Posts: 40FreedomPop Newbie
At home my nexus 5 has cell data turned off and I use WIFI data. To be able to use my phone away home I have to turn on cell data and am instantly charged for all data used on WIFI at home. Why do I get charged for the WIFI?

Best Answer

• ???? ??????? ??? Posts: 64FreedomPop Newbie
    #2 Accepted Answer
    Sorry for the trouble. I am getting a degree in IT right now and I can tell you the only thing you can rely on is the data your actual phone reports. If that matches up with your data usage than its your fault. Its technically impossible for freedompop to know your data usage on Wifi.

Answers

• Rich Sias (16th)Rich Sias (16th) Posts: 3,124FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Master, FreedomPop Expert ✭✭✭✭✭
    If @Jorge M. or other admin helps you fix this, be sure to report back here with as much as you know what was done to fix this. That is not a pleasant thought about cell VoIP phones.
    Be my Valentine ZTE, Victory, LG Volt, 803S, & 4 SIMs
  • Adolfo GalvanAdolfo Galvan Posts: 719FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Master, Test Role, FreedomPop Expert, FP Flyer ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2015 #4
    FreedomPop's data reporting is accurate for the day, but not when you see it by the hour. You have actually used the data earlier in the day, but you will see charges for data way after you stopped using it. I would rely on the phone's own data reporting rather than the website. For some reason, it does not report the data you already used in the hour you used it.

I used a Gig's worth of data within 1 hour. It was showing that I used data 4 hours later even though the device was off. But added up, it came to 1 Gb.
  • Douglas MorrillDouglas Morrill Posts: 40FreedomPop Newbie
    Why does data used on Wifi come off my Data plan? It does not matter that it is reported later the fact that it comes out of my cell phone data when it was used on WIFI does. WIFI data should not count AT ALL. I see it obvious gets charged to me no matter what. I will not be able to really use this service with my internet at home without paying you for it. That's just the way it is.
  • Douglas MorrillDouglas Morrill Posts: 40FreedomPop Newbie
    So no point in switching off data on cell phone, it all gets charged to my account.
  • Ryan Radford 2Ryan Radford 2 Posts: 633FreedomPop Newbie ✭✭✭

Why does data used on Wifi come off my Data plan? It does not matter that it is reported later the fact that it comes out of my cell phone data when it was used on WIFI does. WIFI data should not count AT ALL. I see it obvious gets charged to me no matter what. I will not be able to really use this service with my internet at home without paying you for it. That's just the way it is.

You misunderstood him, there is a delay in the usage reporting from sprint to FreedomPop, the data usage you are seeing is from earlier on in the day when you were on the mobile data plan

Example I was on my mobile data at 8AM then I switched to Wi-Fi at 8:30 minutes later, the usage from 8:00-8:30AM is reported at the latest 11:00-11:30AM and I've been on Wi-Fi the entire time since I stopped using the mobile data
    Want a free lte sim? Message me and ill give you a credit card to purchase it!

Common issues related to FreedomPop Devices:
    https://forums.freedompop.com/discussion/10896/battery-issues-please-read-this#latest

If you are having trouble with the FreedomPop messaging app registering, always try uninstalling it and then reinstalling it. If that doesn't work download push notification fixer (no root) from the play store. make sure both intervals are set to 5 minutes and click apply.

I don't work for FreedomPop