**Reminder** When you sign up for FreedomPop service we often offer a free trial experience for one of our plans or add-on services. Upon the end of your Trial, you will incur the regular charge for that plan or service. Please take a look at our Community post for more information regarding your recent purchase and what to expect: http://bit.ly/2xFTGWY

tethering not enabled or installed on LG Volt bought from freedompop

wxwalshvwxwalshv Posts: 7FreedomPop Newbie
I bought this device, and subscribed to premium voice to get voicemail, tethering, and data roll over.

When I got the device, there was no voicemail app (other than the one LG installs), I was able to find that on the app store and install it myself, and figured out how to activate it.

However, no means of tethering was installed. The option that would normally be there on a factory LG Volt was gone, and no freedompop tethering app was installed.

I contacted support about this, indicated the above, and three works later I finally get a response from the Philippines center than answers support requests which just kept just telling me to use the preinstalled app that is installed on all freedompop phones. Totally ignored what I already said. I indicated that the only way I could get tethering to work was to root my device and install a 3rd party unsupported app (that would have enabled tethering even without the service being paid for through freedompop), but that I'd rather use a SUPPORTED method, especially since I was paying for that.

The response I got was to tell me to continue to use the 3rd party app.

I know I can do this with a 3rd party app. That is really not the point of this. I could use the 3rd party app to get tethering even if tethering wasn't included in my services. I know this because I've seen it done by others.

But I WANT to use the freedompop environment, especially since I bought the phone with the understanding freedompop was going to provide that service to me. Now the only answer I can get is to tell me to use a method provided by someone else entirely, that actually doesn't even require freedompop to activate tethering.

Apparently there was supposed to be an app installed that manages the tethering on freedompop phones. I'm trying to get freedompop to supply me with that app, and all I get is that they can't, and that I should keep using the one I am.

Comments

• EileenEileen Posts: 2FreedomPop Newbie
    The Kyocera Hydro Icon has the same issue. FreedomPop support suggested a 3rd-party app that does not work. I think FP wants to limit tethering as much as possible to prevent additional data usage.
  • wxwalshvwxwalshv Posts: 7FreedomPop Newbie
    Well that constitutes false advertising in California where they are based. I hope that ends up not being the case, and I'll wait for a response to see how they deal with this issue.
  • Jorge Jorge Posts: 3,375 admin
    @wxwalshv Could you please attempt to perform a MSL reset on your device by following the steps below:

MSL reset (this is a RESET so please back up important info); please dial ##786#. Select the "Reset" button and then enter your MSL code: 873159
    Press the Menu button and then hit the "Reset" button and your phone will restart.
    Once the phone has restarted it may enter hands free activation. If this does not happen, then you can do so by updating your phone's PRL and Profile manually. This can be done by going to Settings > Phone/ System updates > Update PRL and then repeat for update Profile.

2.(This is a RESET so please back up important info)
    Please dial ##786#. Select the "Reset" button and then enter your MSL code:

Press the Menu button and then hit the "Reset" button and your phone will restart.
    Once the phone has restarted it may enter hands free activation. If this does not happen, then you can do so by updating your phone's PRL and Profile manually. This can be done by going to Settings > Phone/ System updates > Update PRL and then repeat for update Profile.

Note: this will wipe your phones information and reset it back to its Factory Default
    No sorry, I won't do that. Because that is not the problem. The phone is CAPABLE of tethering in its current state, except that Freedompop disabled the built in feature (to force people to pay for the service, which I get, and do not oppose), and then failed to include the app on this device that enables tethering. There is no need for a MSL reset, or updating the PRL. If those were the problem, then the third party root required app to tether would not worth either.
  • Ali Ali Posts: 6,735FreedomPop Master, Test Role, iOS Master ✭✭✭✭✭
    @wxwalshv Actually yes you do need to do either an MSL reset or a PRL and Profile update since your Profile includes all your MDN information which has your tethering capability with it. If you update it, information from FreedomPop's network regarding tethering will be set to enabled and you will be able to tether like normal.
    Sorry, but you don't seem to understand. What is missing is not the ABILITY to tether, since I am able to get that through a 3rd party app. Please learn to read the entire post. The problem is that I had to root my phone, and download and use a 3rd party app to do that. Please read my entire post. Thank you. My issue will not be resolved by someone other than someone who actually works for freedompop.
    The more I wait past deadlines given to me by support, the more I am convinced that this is in fact a case of false advertising, advertising that both the product and service supported tethering, and charging for it as a premium service, without providing any means of utilizing the service, unless you can find a way to get it on your own through unconnected third parties.
  • Y Force 6 WangY Force 6 Wang Posts: 18FreedomPop Newbie
    I had the same issue when I got my LG Volt. But you can hardly blame FP for that. It was the original carrier, either BoostMobile or VirginMobile, that requires the shortcut be removed from its firmeware. So tethering is till there but just no way to access it. There are several ways to restore the hidden menu. I found the easiest one is to get this app "Portable Wifi hotspot" from google play. Good luck