Android Pay won't accept cards I add, says my OS isn't correct

VicoDriveVicoDrive Posts: 8FreedomPop Newbie
Just got a Galaxy s4 refurbished through FreedomPop. When I add cards to it I get an error saying that it can't verify my Android software is correct, or something like that. I contacted Google, they said that my phone should not have any customization to it and should be set to factory defaults. I did this already before ever adding Android pay or any of my apps and accounts to this phone. Has anyone else had this problem with a freedompop phone?

Answers

• Adolfo GalvanAdolfo Galvan Posts: 720FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Master, Test Role, FreedomPop Expert, FP Flyer ✭✭✭✭
    I don't have the S4 but other models. Does it have SuperSU installed? Look in the apps. If it does, open it, go to settings and uncheck "Enable Superuser".

Sometimes FP phones come rooted.
  • VicoDriveVicoDrive Posts: 8FreedomPop Newbie

I don't have the S4 but other models. Does it have SuperSU installed? Look in the apps. If it does, open it, go to settings and uncheck "Enable Superuser".

Nope, didnt see SuperSU installed :-(

Nope, dont see anything called SuperSU
  • Ron LTE VOICE SIMRon LTE VOICE SIM Posts: 263FreedomPop Newbie, FP Flyer ✭✭✭
    It's not installed on the S4 FP Rom, but you can install it from the Play Store and then disable it. Android Pay doesn't play nicely with custom ROMs nor does it do well with non-carrier devices like FP phones. It should still be able to be activated, but I'm not sure what all it would need to have happen. I'll play with mine a bit later today and see what I can find out.
    I did find SuperSU on Play and installed it. I then disabled it from inside the app and tried again to get a card on Android Pay but still getting the same errors. There are TONS of options in this SuperSU thing, is there anything special I should try in it? Its all pretty foreign to me
  • James_in_UtahJames_in_Utah Posts: 244FreedomPop Newbie
    I'm having the same issue with my S4. Android Pay won't let me add a card. Says Google can't verify I'm running Android. Has anyone figured out how to get Pay to run on an FP S4?
  • Jorge Jorge Posts: 3,387 admin
    @VicoDrive If you can please attempt to download the HideMyRoot app from the Play Store. Upon doing so please open the app, click Hide SU Binary and restart/reboot the device. That should allow you to use Android Pay. If you continue to experience issues please keep us updated.
    I tried this and it didn't work. I still can't add a credit card. Says google can't verify I'm running android.
  • Jorge Jorge Posts: 3,387 admin
    @James_in_Utah Interesting, you may need to try a factory reset after hiding binarys. Remember to back-up your data such as music, pictures, app data and etc. You can read information on the following website on how to backup data on from the device.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/248984/how_to_back_up_your_android_phone.html
    I would consider it if someone here actually said that it would work. Does anyone here actually have a FreedomPop S4 running 5.01 and actually have Android Pay work?
  • Ryan Radford 2Ryan Radford 2 Posts: 633FreedomPop Newbie ✭✭✭
    Hooking your device into your computer through the USB port and using kies to restore your S4 will revert it back to the latest stock rom. FreedomPop makes heavy customizations the stock ROM that's why this is happening. Android pay doesn't like rooted/heavily customized devices because of security issues.

Mostly I think people should root only if something is in desperately in need of fixing and the manufacturer is taking their sweet time in fixing it and you know how to do it yourself. For an excellent example of this look up the Kyocera hydro vibe/icon Google apps crash.

Using kies will wipe your device of all of its contents. So back it up first, you will need to download all of the FreedomPop apps again and if your data connection isn't working run the prl and profile updates from settings > system updates.
    Want a free lte sim? Message me and ill give you a credit card to purchase it!

Common issues related to FreedomPop Devices:
    https://forums.freedompop.com/discussion/10896/battery-issues-please-read-this#latest

If you are having trouble with the FreedomPop messaging app registering, always try uninstalling it and then reinstalling it. If that doesn't work download push notification fixer (no root) from the play store. make sure both intervals are set to 5 minutes and click apply.

I don't work for FreedomPop
    I'm not sure it's worth it just to get Android Pay to work. So after that, what would have? Would I run the normal Messaging app? What version of android should I be looking at? Will I have trouble getting 4GLTE to work, kind of like I had when trying to get a BYOD phone going on FP? Would my phone still say it's rooted?
  • David BDavid B Posts: 29FreedomPop Newbie
    There is a lot on the web regarding Android Pay not working on not-stock-android devices. From an article where a Google engineer explains why Wallet worked on some phones but Pay won't, the author of the article says

"but the best we can probably hope for in the short term is a warning on the Play Store listing that Android Pay won't work on modded devices."
    I'm just afraid of screwing up my phone and still not being able to get Pay to work. Would love to hear from someone that actually has it working on a FP S4, either after doing a factory reset or replacing the FP ROM with stock. Or if it works without having to do any of that.
  • djinksdjinks Posts: 1,270FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Expert ✭✭✭✭
    @James_in_Utah
    From what I have read, Android pay must be on a unrooted stock phone to work.
    You may need to flash a Stock rom and then install the FP Messaging app or another VOIP client. That should not be a problem for activating. I do not use Android pay, so cannot comment further.
    I do use android pay and I can confirm that thisnisnwhat is happening.

https://forums.freedompop.com/discussion/10896/battery-issues-please-read-this#latest

If you are having trouble with the FreedomPop messaging app registering, always try uninstalling it and then reinstalling it. If that doesn't work download push notification fixer (no root) from the play store. make sure both intervals are set to 5 minutes and click apply.

So just reading a few posting around the net, it looks like Root access needs to be hidden, and you need to be running a stock ROM. @Ryan Radford 2 , did you have to do this? Are you using a FP S4? Exactly what did you have to do?

There was some FP update I think about a month ago that was pushed to my Galaxy S4 and bam, Android Pay worked! It let me add credit cards and use them at the store. I never really used it much but tried to last week and found Im getting that error again about my android software is incorrect
    Did you try hiding the Root Access? You can run a program like "Hide My Root" and select "Hide SU Binary". Try that and see if that helps. It's still not working for me, and I'm reluctant to try switching to a stock ROM. I tried a couple of BYOD phones, and had tons of problems. I think this would be very similar to that. Hopefully the FP software guys will coordinate with Google and roll out a future version of the software that fixes this issue.
    Just an update, I got the SmartSwitch software from Samsung. It pushed that latest software update to my phone, which wiped out the FP ROM, and put me on a stock Sprint ROM, and killed my root access. I was then able to add credit cards to Android Pay. I haven't tried it yet.
  • JAN SVAGROVSKYJAN SVAGROVSKY Posts: 10FreedomPop Newbie
    James_in_Utah did the fix work? could you write up a step by step for "dummies" like myself? Thanks- I have been having the same issue on my S3 and S5 which I purchased after google folks told me that S3 is not supported due to old OS... BS- the OS is up to date @ 4.2 on S3 and 5.0 on S5.... long story short.. can you write up the STEP BY STEP with the aforementioned app you got?
    You'll need to restore the devices using kies to the stock rom. Then download the FreedomPop apps again.

At this point, my recommendation is to go to a Best Buy with a Samsung Experience Shop, and have the guys there "Refresh" the software. It's a lot quicker than doing it at home. If you want to try it yourself, just install Samsung SmartSwitch on your desktop. Once installed, if you connect your phone, the smartswitch will tell you it wants to update your software. Tell it to apply the update. This took about 1.5 hours total. It worked great on my phone, but after the update my wife's phone could not enable wifi. I called Samsung the next day, and they are the ones that recommended going to Best Buy. They said the first step was to try the "software refresh", and if that didn't fix the problem then the guys there could do a factory build. The refresh did the trick for my wife's phone. You loose your root access, but the up side is your phone will have more available memory, you can install whichever FP apps you want, and you can install those apps to an SD card, (saving you even more memory). After putting the Sprint/Samsung ROM on the phone Android Pay works fine.
  • JAN SVAGROVSKYJAN SVAGROVSKY Posts: 10FreedomPop Newbie
    Great. Thank you. One more thing... what did they charge at the BB for this?