Can't seem to find an iPhone 6 to buy

Ryan BlakeRyan Blake Posts: 16FreedomPop Newbie
I'm looking to buy an iPhone 6 for activation with Freedompop. According to the updated list from October (linked below) the iPhone 6 is supported. It also provides a link to determine if the device is eligible (also linked below).

I'm looking to get the phone from eBay, but nothing seems to be working. Every iPhone 6 that I've tried (I've tried many) has brought me to the page saying "We're experiencing an issue with your provided device ID. To complete your activation, please call 800-671-5017."

All of these phones are listed as having a clean ESN and are Sprint phones, so I don't know what the problem is. I've used both IMEI and MEID. I've tried calling and the representatives seem to have no idea that the iPhone 6 is even supported.

How am I supposed to find an iPhone 6 that I can be confident works with Freedompop before buying? Thanks for the help!

Ryan

https://forums.freedompop.com/discussion/4646/supported-phones-what-phones-can-i-activate-with-freedompop-on-byod-update-10-5-2015/p1

freedompop.com/byosmartphone?&utm_source=freedompop&utm_medium=forums&utm_campaign=byosmartphone

Comments

• Rich Sias (16th)Rich Sias (16th) Posts: 3,338FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Master, FreedomPop Expert ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2015 #2
    Hmmm, I've not seen that error before. Have you tried calling that 800 number, yet ? It's a long shot but they 'might' be able to explain why its having trouble. Maybe clue you in if they're confident that they can support it.
    Be my Valentine ZTE, Victory, LG Volt, 803S, & 4 SIMs
  • Ryan BlakeRyan Blake Posts: 16FreedomPop Newbie
    I've called many times now, and I'm not sure they understand my problem. The error may not be related to it being an iPhone 6, since I just tried with a few supposedly clean ESN Sprint iPhone 5 devices from eBay and get the same error. Not sure how to resolve it though.

Trying to find the easiest way to pick up an iPhone 6 and be confident it is going to work, and it's a pain calling customer support and not getting any further.
  • cfirecrackercfirecracker Posts: 6FreedomPop Newbie
    I have this same problem with a Sprint 5S. The page says to call the 800 #, which I did, but they said it wasn't supported even though FP fully supports the 5S?
    Could it be that the MEID checker is just down currently?
  • Rich Sias (16th)Rich Sias (16th) Posts: 3,338FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Master, FreedomPop Expert ✭✭✭✭✭
    I read somewhere that a person says using ting, then ringplus, then freedompop for MEID checkers. Only after the first two will FP pass. Not sure if it will work that way with an iPhone, though.
    Be my Valentine ZTE, Victory, LG Volt, 803S, & 4 SIMs
    I went ahead and tried this using an iPhone 6 that I'd like to purchase but no go. The phone passes the Ting and RingPlus BYOD check but trying with FreedomPop sends me to that same error screen.

Are there many success stories of bringing an iPhone 6 to FreedomPop? What is the trick?
  • cfirecrackercfirecracker Posts: 6FreedomPop Newbie
    That didn't work for me--Ting and R+ both validated, but FP still did not. I think I will try R+ on this phone for now.
  • Lman BizLman Biz Posts: 138FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Expert ✭✭✭
    Unfortunately, this is a very big problem. I like Freedompop, I recommend Freedompop, I praise Freedompop. However, I must also tell the truth and say that they really need to improve when it comes to basic infrastructure for a company, as they completely fail in some of the basic tasks of a company. I unlocked over 300 sprint phones, and those were 100% completely clear and clean, otherwise I wouldn't have been able to unlock them, yet only maybe 5% of them would pass an activation check on FP. FP has lost a lot of business directly from me, as I couldn't switch people over easily with clean phones. I used to use Ting and Ringplus to see if the phone would pass the first test as a "clean" phone before attempting an unlock. However, that was no guarantee the phone was totally clean. Many times, a "bad balance" will not show up to Ting or RingPlus, and you can still activate the device on those services. Ring plus is a better one to check, as it seems to be more accurate. But sometimes when you go to unlock the device, it still has different bad account issues. I think that FP has not fixed the problem yet to overcome the roadblocks of some types of bad balances, the ones that work on Ting and RP. If a phone has a bad balance, it may or may not be able to activate on the sprint network. It depends on the status. A phone that has an unpaid balance might still be able to be activated. A phone that has gone into "collections" because of an unpaid bill is not eligible to activate. So for example, if a person cancels their account, sells their phone right away, but hasn't paid their last bill, it can still be activated. But if a person skipped town, and the account is very past due and gone to collections, that phone is now dead on the Sprint network until the bill is paid up. In both cases, they show up as an unpaid balance, and because of that, neither one is eligible to be unlocked, even though one of them can be activated onto a new account without issues. I found out a lot of info by talking to people, because I would run a phone on RingPlus that came out ready to activate, and then try to unlock it, only to find out the owner hadn't paid the final bill yet, so technically, it had a "bad balance". Because I did unlock Sprint phones, and I also help people with getting onto Freedompop, I was able to experiment and run through a lot of phones on FP and see which ones would activate. The phones I tried I had personally unlocked, so know they were clean. Many phones would activate on RP and Ting, but not Freedompop. So I don't know what is wrong at Freedompop, but this clearly seems to be something internal, but I do believe this is something very easy to fix, based upon all my direct conversations with Sprint employees, and understanding how their system works. Unfortunately, FP needs to improve their internal processes greatly, and they have way too many "simple" problems. For example, their BYOD check device webpage is still completely broken, and has been discussed several times, and still no fix, which is probably a 2 hour job from a web programmer.(IMEI vs MEID input) Yet, they still haven't fixed that yet. I sent through 50 phones to check activation status that I personally unlocked, and only a few would activate on FP and all would active on both Ting and RP. So...their system is very broken still. So they cause us to have frustration, and eventually give up and go somewhere else.

FP needs to do one thing. Tell us "why" it doesn't pass when we try to activate. It isn't rocket science to add this error message to the site. I don't know why programmers live in such tiny boxes.

"Your phone has a balance due with Sprint and is ineligible to be activated on FP at this time". NOTE: RingPlus does this!!!!!!! NOTE: Ting does this!!!!

"Your device is currently not on the supported device list."

Something, anything. :-) So in short, it is a hit and miss game with activating an Iphone 6 from my personal experience, and much more misses then hits. I can only assume that maybe those phones don't pass the first type of bad balance, something it seems Ting and RP have figured out how to resolve. I haven't tried to call that number in the message you were receiving, since that is new since I last tried to activate. I did however, put my brand new Google Nexus 6P number in there for kicks, and got the same message.

Thanks for the input. I guess I'll just keep trying to put the MEIDs from eBay into the checker until I get one that works. Just seems like it's never going to work.

Is the trick to just buy an iPhone 6 that has a clean ESN from Sprint and then just ask an admin to help you with its activation? I could do this, but don't want to end up with a $400+ phone to find out it can't be activated.
  • Lman BizLman Biz Posts: 138FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Expert ✭✭✭
    I think that now days, if you call support, they can help you with some of the issues for some of the phones. For example, "I think" that if a phone has never been on sprint before, it won't pass the activation. So if someone gets a warranty replacement phone, which has never been activated before, that IMEI isn't in Sprints system yet, so it won't activate on Prepaid carriers until Sprint activates it. So if you buy something from Ebay, and it is a replacement phone, you might have trouble, even though it is a completely clean phone. However, if you call FP support, they might be able to get that number into the system on Sprint, and you can activate it then. Not sure about FP, but Ting does this, and works with Sprint to get devices that are clean to activate, which don't pass the initial checks. So I think it is hit and miss as to what FP support can fix. I think things have gotten a lot better, and they are able to push through many more phones then they were before. Iphone 6 do work on FP, but not all of them. :-)
  • Randall ScottRandall Scott Posts: 12FreedomPop Newbie
    I was told they only support iphone 6s purchased from Sprint. I purchased mine from the apple store so it is not supported. Not cool I dont get it. I even signed it up on Sprint for two days to get it is the system.