**Reminder** When you sign up for FreedomPop service we often offer a free trial experience for one of our plans or add-on services. The free trial lasts for 30 days, after which you will incur the regular charge for that plan or service. Please take a look at our Community post for more information regarding your recent purchase and what to expect: http://bit.ly/2xFTGWY
If you have not recently performed a Carrier Reset to your mobile device, we recommend doing so to ensure that your FreedomPop service is operating to its best capability. This does not cause the loss of any information saved on your mobile device. You can find instructions by selecting the following link: https://support.freedompop.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3017/

For additional topics related to your concern, please visit our online Self-Help Knowledge Base at https://support.freedompop.com

BYOD: What SIM card do I need for my BYOD handset?

Ali Ali FreedomPop Master, Test Role, iOS Master Posts: 6,732 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 12 in BYOD #1

The following is the unofficially official SIM Card matrix for your Sprint handset, if you want to register on FreedomPop through the BYOD program.

Please be advised that this is for Sprint devices only. If you want to bring your unlocked device to FreedomPop, please click here.

Apple Devices
Phone SIM Card Notes
iPhone 5
iPad mini (1st generation)
iPad with Retina Display (Fourth Generation)
SIMGLW406R
iPhone 5s
iPhone 5c
iPhone 6
iPhone 6 Plus
iPhone 6s
iPhone 6s Plus
iPad mini 2
iPad mini 3
iPad mini 4
iPad Air
iPad Air 2
iPad Pro
SIMGLW406C
SIMGLW416C
SIMGLW426C
SIMGLW436C
Any of these SIM Cards will work
The New iPad (3rd Generation) SIMGLW206R
All other Apple Devices No SIM needed!
Samsung Devices
Phone SIM Card Notes
Samsung Galaxy S4
Samsung Galaxy S5
Samsung Galaxy Note III
Samsung Galaxy Note 4
Samsung Galaxy Mega
SIMGLW206R
Samsung Galaxy S6
Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge
SIMOLW416C
Samsung Galaxy Tab 3
Samsung
SIMGLT207R
All other Samsung Devices No SIM needed!
LG Devices
Phone SIM Card Notes
LG G2
Nexus 5
SIMGLW206R
LG G3
LG Tribute
SIMGLW216C
LG Volt
LG Optimus F3
LG Optimus F7
SIMGLT207R
Nexus 5x SIMGLW446C
LG G4 SIMGLW236C
All other LG Devices No SIM needed!
Motorola Devices
Phone SIM Card Notes
Moto E
Moto G (3rd Generation)
SIMGLW236C
Moto X (First Generation)
Moto X (Second Generation)
SIMGLW406R
Nexus 6
Nexus 6p (Yes, this is a Huawei device. I am too lazy to make a new category for Huawei right now :P)
Moto X Pure
SIMGLW446C
All other Motorola Devices No SIM needed!
HTC Devices
Phone SIM Card Notes
HTC Desire 510 SIMGLT207R
HTC One Max SIMGLW206R
HTC One M8
HTC One E8
SIMGLW406R
HTC One M9 SIMGLW446C
All other HTC Devices No SIM needed!
Post edited by Ali on

Comments

• GabeGabe FreedomPop Newbie Posts: 22
    The LG G4 doesn't need a SIM card? Are you sure? Cause I'm gonna get the phone but I don't want it to not work...
  • Ali Ali FreedomPop Master, Test Role, iOS Master Posts: 6,732 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Gabe Thanks for pointing that out, the LG G4 needs a SIMGLW236C. I will add it to the matrix.
  • djinksdjinks FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Expert Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭✭
    @Ali
    Great work!
  • Carter OverdriveCarter Overdrive FreedomPop Newbie Posts: 12
    I hear the Nexus 6P is also supported. Can you tell me what SIM I need for that?
  • Ryan Radford 2Ryan Radford 2 FreedomPop Newbie Posts: 633 ✭✭✭

I hear the Nexus 6P is also supported. Can you tell me what SIM I need for that?

Check the above table, it answers your question.
    Want a free lte sim? Message me and ill give you a credit card to purchase it!

Common issues related to FreedomPop Devices:
    https://forums.freedompop.com/discussion/10896/battery-issues-please-read-this#latest

If you are having trouble with the FreedomPop messaging app registering, always try uninstalling it and then reinstalling it. If that doesn't work download push notification fixer (no root) from the play store. make sure both intervals are set to 5 minutes and click apply.

I don't work for FreedomPop
    ah, sorry - glanced and saw motorola and moved on (the 6P is a Huawei). Thanks!
    Has anyone actually successfully activated a Nexus 6P on Freedompop? If so, is there any trick to getting it into the system? I bought one from the play store and FP said they said they couldn't activate it. They handed me to tech support and were going to rejigger something and then give me a call back in 24-48h. They never called back, so after fruitlessly following up with FP, I tried activating with Ting for a day in hopes that that would somehow populate my IMEI into their system. It registered with Ting just fine, but after canceling with Ting, it still doesn't register with FP.

Now, FP is telling me that it IS a valid IMEI but that it's showing locked. They told me to call Sprint to get them to release the IMEI, and Sprint was befuddled because I never had an account with them. I'm not sure if that just means it's still locked to Ting (who swears it's been completely cleared out of their system) or if this is just FP's new way of phrasing the same run-around to get me off the phone. If I was guaranteed that registering the phone with Sprint temporarily for a short service cycle would work, I wouldn't be opposed to doing that, but I don't want to waste any money on service with other carriers for the chance of being able to get FP's system good to activate it.

They told me to check again in another 24-48 hours, but I'm not very optimistic it'll work. I think FP, like Sprint, is very protective of their devices (maybe it's in FP's contract) and don't like you to be able to bring them to another carrier (which is what I'd like to do when I travel internationally to save me from having to bring a second phone).

Any help would be appreciated.
  • Ali Ali FreedomPop Master, Test Role, iOS Master Posts: 6,732 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Richard Carter Send me your IMEI and MEID numbers. Too many people are getting the runaround which isn't a good thing, it should work properly.
    Thanks, Ali. Just sent them to you in a message.
  • LarrySLarryS FreedomPop Newbie Posts: 17
    Thanks for this table. Newbie Question: Now that I know my BYOD handset needs a specific SIM, what do I do next? Call Freedompop and order the SIM card? If so, where and how does one go about it? Thanks for everyone's patience. Any additional info or reply greatly appreciated.
    Go to a sprint store and get the sim that you need for your phone. If you can't activate over the phone or internet byod portal, reach out to Jorge M. in the forums to get your IMEI number into the FreedomPop database. :-)
  • tawmtawm FreedomPop Newbie Posts: 3
    edited February 2016 #13
    Which micro SIM card type(s) work(s) with the LG G Pad 7.0? (206, 216, 207)

I'm getting 3 different answers from FreedomPop, Ting, eBay, and Amazon sellers.

And now, phoned a Sprint store, and heard the only compatible SIM is the SIMGLW226R.
    Post edited by tawm on
  • Rich Sias (16th)Rich Sias (16th) FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Master, FreedomPop Expert Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Customer has Kyocera c6730 which is complaining there is NO SIM. Are there NO Kyocera s that need a SIM ??
    Be my Valentine ZTE, Victory, LG Volt, & 803S
  • Stephanie ChangStephanie Chang FreedomPop Newbie Posts: 17
    I sent both Ali and Jorge M my IMEI a week ago back on February 14. However, as of yet, I have not seen a reply. :'(
    @Stephanie Chang I would like to suggest calling Freedompop tech support. I got my BYOD phone (Nexus 5x) quickly fixed up with cellular network working in less than 5 minutes. Get ready your IMEI and ICCID from your phone.
  • jack_svancara22jack_svancara22 FreedomPop Newbie Posts: 3
    @Ali are you sure that the lg volt 2 doesn't need a sim card because it has a sum card slot
  • kbwfb2kbwfb2 FreedomPop Newbie Posts: 8
    @Ali .. I believe your entry for the LG G3 for SIMGLW216C .. is incorrect. I can't find that SIM code anywhere .. if you google it, this thread is the only thing that comes up. eBay nor Amazon have it listed anywhere.

Perhaps a typo?
    kbwfb2 said:

I believe your entry for the LG G3 for SIMGLW216C .. is incorrect.

It should be SIMGLW216R instead per https://help.ting.com/hc/en-us/articles/205428218-Finding-Your-SIM-Card
    Man, how confusing. I see several places that says the G3 uses the SIMGLW206R, while your Ting page clearly says 216R.

Well, seeing as I just ordered a 206R, I guess I'll find out.
    LarryS said:

@Stephanie Chang I would like to suggest calling Freedompop tech support. I got my BYOD phone (Nexus 5x) quickly fixed up with cellular network working in less than 5 minutes. Get ready your IMEI and ICCID from your phone.

I appreciate your suggestion. However, I have searched FreedomPop web site for half hour, am still unable to find a telephone number for FreedomPop technical support. Would you please let me know what telephone number you called to get the issue resolved?

When I got "We're experiencing an issue with your provided device ID. To complete your activation, please call 800-671-5017." message, I did call 800-671-5017 and was told Huawei phone is not supported. I told her that the IMEI is allowed by both RingPlus and Ting as BYOD. She said there is nothing she can do to allow the phone to be activated with FreedomPop and suggested I call Sprint to have the IMEI to be released. I went to Sprint web site, cannot even find IMEI checker there.

On February 26, 2016, Lucy did reply to my PM to both Ali and Jorge M on February 14 as follow:

"go ahead and activate the device through our BYOD funnel. Here is the link: www.freedompop.com/byod"

Yet, I am still getting exact same error message:

"We're experiencing an issue with your provided device ID. To complete your activation, please call 800-671-5017."

On February 29, 2016, I replied the PM stated getting exact error message. Ali replied promptly: "Try removing the 3 at the end and try again." Unfortunately, it did not made any difference.
    As a follow up for future folks with this question: The SIMGLW206R I installed in my LG G3 is working properly on Freedompop.
    @Stephanie Chang So sorry for my delayed reply. Apparently the @ sign does not work the second time around, so the forum settings did not properly notify me that I received a reply from you. In any case, the number I called was FreedomPop customer service (888) 743-8107 and they switched me to the Technical Support after confirming account information. I sure hope that helps.

• immortalimmortal FreedomPop Newbie Posts: 21
    does my sim have to be used for it to work or can i buy a new one from the sprint store
    First, Sprint store would not sell you a SIM unless you activate a phone with them. Second, without SIM, LTE would not work, but SIM stay with the phone even you move between Sprint and different Sprint MVNOs. In other words, if the phone is LTE capable, a SIM is required unless it is pre-installed which should be the case for most phones meant for connecting to Sprint network.
  • Nes FP-SGalaxy_S3Nes FP-SGalaxy_S3 FreedomPop Expert, FreedomFan Posts: 108 ✭✭✭
    I just bought a Nexus 6 but the guy wanted to keep his SIM... what do i do now?!
    XDA, Captain Picard, and NYC ==> All kick a$$!